Region 4A Championship Clay County (9-0) @ Gordonsville (8-1)

OldTownRoad

4 hours ago, MainStreetBengal said:

Boarhog it will be a playoff atmosphere Friday on Main Street!  This is a time of year when the good teams hit another gear and the great teams are speed shifting.  

The old saying is act like you been there and act like you’ve done it before.  We have. Hartsville has. South Pitt has. We know what to expect and what it takes. Disrespect? Absolutely not. Is it arrogance? Maybe. Is it confidence? Most definitely.  We will expect a war. You should too!

Clay County has been in this situation as well recently. 2017 Clay County took a 14-7 lead into the fourth quarter against Gordonsville in the region championship game. 2019 Clay County led Monterey 6-0 into the fourth quarter in the region championship game, and dropped a surefire pick six in the last two minutes that would have won the game, before falling 9-6 in overtime. 2020 Clay County leads Gordonsville the entire game (second round of the playoffs) before a false start on 4th & 1 forced Clay County to punt and allowed Darrell Holt to will the Tigers into the endzone for the winning touchdown. Does Clay County have the experience overall as a program in these situations? Of course not. Have Clay County's players been involved in big games before? Yes. Clay County knows it will be a battle. 

You know who else expected Clay County to not be up to the task? Cornersville, and everyone knows how that turned out. The last time these two teams played, it was a battle that could have went either way, but the Tigers rode their seniors when it counted to survive. Clay County will come in stronger than last year. Are this year's skill players able to come through in the clutch like Holt, Gregory, and Pemberton? I am not convinced that Albritten has the weapons as last year for the Tigers. Either way, should be a dandy 

7 hours ago, Boarhog said:

Well said, I definitely painted myself into a corner with that comment.  I do believe that we’ve got a handful of kids that have the drive, skill, physicality, and maturity to be starters anywhere in the east.  That’s said with admiration for them more than disdain for anybody else’s guys.  

Absolutely correct. Nobody is saying that they would be the best players for any team in the East. Just that they would be contributors to any team in the East because of those qualities. I believe Gordonsville has a few guys who would start for any team in the East, headlined by QB Matthew Albritten.

31 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

Clay County has been in this situation as well recently. 2017 Clay County took a 14-7 lead into the fourth quarter against Gordonsville in the region championship game. 2019 Clay County led Monterey 6-0 into the fourth quarter in the region championship game, and dropped a surefire pick six in the last two minutes that would have won the game, before falling 9-6 in overtime. 2020 Clay County leads Gordonsville the entire game (second round of the playoffs) before a false start on 4th & 1 forced Clay County to punt and allowed Darrell Holt to will the Tigers into the endzone for the winning touchdown. Does Clay County have the experience overall as a program in these situations? Of course not. Have Clay County's players been involved in big games before? Yes. Clay County knows it will be a battle. 

You know who else expected Clay County to not be up to the task? Cornersville, and everyone knows how that turned out. The last time these two teams played, it was a battle that could have went either way, but the Tigers rode their seniors when it counted to survive. Clay County will come in stronger than last year. Are this year's skill players able to come through in the clutch like Holt, Gregory, and Pemberton? I am not convinced that Albritten has the weapons as last year for the Tigers. Either way, should be a dandy 

Whoa whoa pump the breaks on your horse there hoss! Which team were you a member of? Or are you on their radio team? If you are you boys do a good job.

There’s something each and everyone of those seasons have something in common right? You comparing, maybe unknowingly, us and Cornersville? Surely you know better than try that! Some teams just don’t match well with others and thats fact.  

This is the way it should be with the final two standing at the end to see who is King of the Hill. Friday one of us will get that crown. Guess what? It don’t matter!  You referenced  2019 who was last 4-a team standing?  What I would hope you and yours take away is if you come up just a bit short the second season is where it counts. I guarantee you this there’s a whole lot of respect for the Bulldogs in Gordonsville.  All I am saying is  you think your 9-0 instills a little fear or doubt in our bunch your wrong.  You’ve won 9. 1 loss don’t end your season but 2 sure will! 

8 minutes ago, MainStreetBengal said:

Whoa whoa pump the breaks on your horse there hoss! Which team were you a member of? Or are you on their radio team? If you are you boys do a good job.

There’s something each and everyone of those seasons have something in common right? You comparing, maybe unknowingly, us and Cornersville? Surely you know better than try that! Some teams just don’t match well with others and thats fact.  

This is the way it should be with the final two standing at the end to see who is King of the Hill. Friday one of us will get that crown. Guess what? It don’t matter!  You referenced  2019 who was last 4-a team standing?  What I would hope you and yours take away is if you come up just a bit short the second season is where it counts. I guarantee you this there’s a whole lot of respect for the Bulldogs in Gordonsville.  All I am saying is  you think your 9-0 instills a little fear or doubt in our bunch your wrong.  You’ve won 9. 1 loss don’t end your season but 2 sure will! 

My point is every team's journey to the top goes through setbacks. Michael Jordan lost three times to the Pistons before finally breaking through. Clay County has took their lumps in these moments recently. However, I believe they are ready to breakthrough and overcome the huge challenge that awaits them Friday night and win the first region championship in program history.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

My point is every team's journey to the top goes through setbacks. Michael Jordan lost three times to the Pistons before finally breaking through. Clay County has took their lumps in these moments recently. However, I believe they are ready to breakthrough and overcome the huge challenge that awaits them Friday night and win the first region championship in program history.

What they are saying is that since they won a state championship in 2012 …you have no chance and it’s insulting to them that you would even insinuate that you did!

Edited by H2Oman
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, H2Oman said:

What they are saying is that since they won a state championship in 2012 …you have no chance and it’s insulting to them that you would even insinuate that you did!

No actually what I am trying to say is if, which yes we expect to, win Friday night the season ain’t over for them or us. 2019 we finish third and end up being last man standing .

If we come up short Friday night then it’s a tip of the hat and hope to see you in a few weeks. I am sure you already have your excuses ready on the other hand. Poor coaching, dirty paid off refs,  weather, etc.  Don’t worry about us and Celina its gonna be a good one. Just remember after week 2 of the playoffs you can come watch us we’ll gladly take your money.

8 minutes ago, MainStreetBengal said:

No actually what I am trying to say is if, which yes we expect to, win Friday night the season ain’t over for them or us. 2019 we finish third and end up being last man standing .

If we come up short Friday night then it’s a tip of the hat and hope to see you in a few weeks. I am sure you already have your excuses ready on the other hand. Poor coaching, dirty paid off refs,  weather, etc.  Don’t worry about us and Celina its gonna be a good one. Just remember after week 2 of the playoffs you can come watch us we’ll gladly take your money.

I would take this post as cocky. 

Just don't kick anyone in the head when they are already down. 

1 minute ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

The headkicker lineman graduated recently. 

I can honestly say didn’t see it and dang sure ain’t saying it didn’t happen. Ain’t no excuse for it but a youngin might do anything in the heat of the moment. Done a lot of things in the day I wouldn’t  do today. Except for Watertown in 87! That I’d do again!

Now I don’t use names often but do you know old Hal Hailey?