Portland visits Henry County

olddevil

HC- 35

Portland- 21

First of all, a much needed win last week for the young men from a confidence standpoint heading into the play-offs. Now let's talk a little football 101. The Offense exploded and came alive last week against North East. After weeks of the Defense holding things down somewhat, they gave up 40 points last week. If everyone is seeing what I'm seeing, going back to the Tillman game, they found the weak spot in our Secondary at one of the Safety positions. Last week, NE found the same weak spot so we decided to move the one Safety from the left side to the right side in the 2nd half as if they wouldn't figure that out. So what does NE do, they throw to the other side where the weaker Safety moved to and we had no answer. When the Boyd player went down against Clarksville NW, we should have replaced him with another athlete but that wasn't the case. A smart opposing Offensive Coordinator can see when a player is moved from one side to the other and keep exploiting the side of the weaker, smaller Safety. The coaching has to get better in that aspect and replace an athlete with another athlete instead of catering to a Senior with no athletic ability as you have several athletes on the sidelines which you refuse to play due to their class status. I said this the last post, it doesn't matter what year an athlete is, if they are better than the upper classmen, they deserve to be on the field rather than catering to a Senior because of politics. As a coach and heading into the playoffs, I'm playing all of my athletes to make a good run heading into what you call a new season with everyone basically being 0-0 starting November 5th. Roll Red Roll!

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, RedPride91 said:

HC- 35

Portland- 21

First of all, a much needed win last week for the young men from a confidence standpoint heading into the play-offs. Now let's talk a little football 101. The Offense exploded and came alive last week against North East. After weeks of the Defense holding things down somewhat, they gave up 40 points last week. If everyone is seeing what I'm seeing, going back to the Tillman game, they found the weak spot in our Secondary at one of the Safety positions. Last week, NE found the same weak spot so we decided to move the one Safety from the left side to the right side in the 2nd half as if they wouldn't figure that out. So what does NE do, they throw to the other side where the weaker Safety moved to and we had no answer. When the Boyd player went down against Clarksville NW, we should have replaced him with another athlete but that wasn't the case. A smart opposing Offensive Coordinator can see when a player is moved from one side to the other and keep exploiting the side of the weaker, smaller Safety. The coaching has to get better in that aspect and replace an athlete with another athlete instead of catering to a Senior with no athletic ability as you have several athletes on the sidelines which you refuse to play due to their class status. I said this the last post, it doesn't matter what year an athlete is, if they are better than the upper classmen, they deserve to be on the field rather than catering to a Senior because of politics. As a coach and heading into the playoffs, I'm playing all of my athletes to make a good run heading into what you call a new season with everyone basically being 0-0 starting November 5th. Roll Red Roll!

685d63c091739c08df91fbc8375ae119.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

RedPride91..............I said this the last post, it doesn't matter what year an athlete is, if they are better than the upper classmen, they deserve to be on the field rather than catering to a Senior because of "politics." 

I totally agree with this statement because i have seen it over and over at HC and it happens in all of the sports in my opinion because i have had an experience such as this before.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gr8tn08 said:

RedPride91..............I said this the last post, it doesn't matter what year an athlete is, if they are better than the upper classmen, they deserve to be on the field rather than catering to a Senior because of "politics." 

I totally agree with this statement because i have seen it over and over at HC and it happens in all of the sports in my opinion because i have had an experience such as this before.

Exactly...

2 hours ago, gr8tn08 said:

Agreed. Also agreed the first time he posted it. It's just something I've never understood. Other players on the team notice that kind of thing and it typically does not resonate well, but sometimes old habits die hard, and seniority has always seemed important to these coaches. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing (if the players are equal, then sure, being a senior should count for something), but it should never be a detriment to the team, as in a superior player being sidelined just because he's an underclassmen.

Granted, I admit I'm not the one working with these kids every day. Sometimes it's a matter of maturity and trust. If I have a crazy talented sophomore but he's a total knucklehead, goofs off in practice, acts up in class, etc. then yeah, I'm probably gonna be more willing to play the senior over him. It's easy for us fans to forget the very human element of high school sports. Yeah, the coaches' jobs are to win games, but they're also in the business of molding young men.