Bearden open

HTV

12 minutes ago, toughD said:

How hard are you working from now until then? I suspect you likely start applying any/everywhere, and start formulating a loose plan for your future.

These guys obviously have to look out for themselves (and their futures), but if a person has any professional integrity at all, you don't just stop working the minute the writing is on the wall. I've been in this situation before, and I would argue that someone's work ethic in the midst of a situation like this says a lot about that person's character/integrity.

In the case of coaching, it's about the kids right?

Edited by osunut2

3 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

These guys obviously have to look out for themselves (and their futures), but if a person has any professional integrity at all, you don't just stop working the minute the writing is on the wall. I've been in this situation before, and I would argue that someone's work ethic in the midst of a situation like this says a lot about that person's character/integrity.

In the case of coaching, it's about the kids right?

You should have seen the skeleton crew they brought over to West. They don’t have many coaches. I wouldn’t mind it if some of the kids transferred and found themselves on Sutherland. 

1 minute ago, edwardblake said:

You should have seen the skeleton crew they brought over to West. They don’t have many coaches. I wouldn’t mind it if some of the kids transferred and found themselves on Sutherland. 

From what I've seen on this thread, it doesn't sounds like a very good situation currently.

3 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

.....and I may have missed something but why aren't the assistant coaches running the weight program? They are still the assistant coaches until the new coach tells them they are no longer needed. Isn't that part of their coaching supplement responsibilities?

Supplements are paid out based on the football season in KCS, at least that's how it was several years ago. So no, it' s not a part of their supplement. Season's over. Whose weight program would they run? "go in there and grab something heavy" isn't a weight program. You're also making some big assumptions that those assistants (and there are only 3 of them according to folks on this thread who apparently have insider info, which isn't enough to run a weight program) haven't gotten new jobs by now. are they supposed to hang around until the New Year and see what happens and risk any open jobs being filled up? Again, this happened to us at Grainger in '12 and it was a tough deal.  "professional integrity" is not relevant in this case IMO

Just now, osunut2 said:

From what I've seen on this thread, it doesn't sounds like a very good situation currently.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I mean they didn’t even bring an offense over here in August. No speed whatsoever. Defense was strong but had two stud linebackers graduate. Rebels will be licking their chops to get down Kingston Pike next year. 

1 minute ago, PostingGawd39 said:

"professional integrity" is not relevant in this case IMO

I stand by what I said. I may not be an active coach, but that is 100% applicable in the rest of the working world. You'll have to pardon me if my statements do not hold true in the coaching profession.

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

I stand by what I said. I may not be an active coach, but that is 100% applicable in the rest of the working world. You'll have to pardon me if my statements do not hold true in the coaching profession.

No hard feelings nut. If they were abdicating their teaching responsibilities I'd agree with you. Football coaches in the off season are basically volunteers. With no captain commanding the ship, where would the rowers row? 

1 minute ago, PostingGawd39 said:

No hard feelings nut. If they were abdicating their teaching responsibilities I'd agree with you. Football coaches in the off season are basically volunteers. With no captain commanding the ship, where would the rowers row? 

Fair point. I forget that in places like Knox County, coaches are volunteers in the off-season. So you're essentially relying on the players to "blindly" put the onus on themselves, in this particular instance.

1 hour ago, PostingGawd39 said:

"heal both physically and mentally" we aren't talking about the 101st Airborne here

I'll take my kids word for it, PT 1-2 days a week to get through pain, have a procedure at the end of the season to fix something knowing PT looms again all for a sport? Wears on kid mentally. My kids reward was being called state champ. I trusted when they told me they needed a break, both physically and mentally. 

5 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

.....and I may have missed something but why aren't the assistant coaches running the weight program? They are still the assistant coaches until the new coach tells them they are no longer needed. Isn't that part of their coaching supplement responsibilities?

Assistant football coaches are supplemented for the time they work from August to the end of the season. If they resigned the day after the season concluded, they would still be paid their entire supplement because they would have worked a full season. Many of the school's have a strength and speed coach supplemented through the county that would be responsible for designing workouts under the direction of a head sport coach. It is silly to talk about things for which you do not have the background knowledge. You seem naive.

Edited by FHSAlum12
Being more concise

2 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I'll take my kids word for it, PT 1-2 days a week to get through pain, have a procedure at the end of the season to fix something knowing PT looms again all for a sport? Wears on kid mentally. My kids reward was being called state champ. I trusted when they told me they needed a break, both physically and mentally. 

Fair enough. Bearden season ended 34 days ago though

• Like 2