Fast Times at William Blount High

BarneySox2007

9 minutes ago, OrangePylon said:

I think I speak for a lot of William Blount fans when I say, I just want excitement. And I want the players to get to experience it too. I want a good offense and a team that plays hard and can win some games (preferably more than 4). I don’t expect to beat teams like Maryville but I want to be able to brag occasionally about some wins instead of being ashamed like I felt when we lost to HVA and Mo East this past year. 

That’s not unreasonable.

9 hours ago, OrangePylon said:

I think I speak for a lot of William Blount fans when I say, I just want excitement. And I want the players to get to experience it too. I want a good offense and a team that plays hard and can win some games (preferably more than 4). I don’t expect to beat teams like Maryville but I want to be able to brag occasionally about some wins instead of being ashamed like I felt when we lost to HVA and Mo East this past year. 

We feel your pain my friend. No one wants to see what's happened at WB no matter where your from or who ever you pull for. Most of this stuff that's posted is to lite a fire under someone to take some action. I would hate it if some thought wasn't put into the next hire. This is a program that can move forward if the right person is chosen but going on history I have my doubts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 12:08 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Any chance Bill Satterfield has any gas left in the tank to go to WB and get that mess off the ground to hand to someone else in the long run. Not sure what age he is. I saw a picture of him as a Vonore coach back in 1980 and he looked like a very young man at the time.

Bill Satterfield could turn WB into a 2nd or 3rd round playoff quality team really quickly. He knows how to win with the athletes that are walking those halls. If WB had hired him 30 yrs ago the landscape would be very different.  WB would not have ever been an easy day on someone's schedule.

The next coach at William Blount will have to build a connection with the kids at not only the high school, but at the middle school level as well. Part of the reason these kids are leaving and going to Alcoa, Maryville, Greenback, etc. is because there hasn’t been much of an attempt to build a relationship with the kids before they are in HS. Players have a harder time transferring when they feel like the school that they’re transferring away from has a coach who 1) Knows what he’s doing and 2) Truly cares about them

On 1/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, orngnblk said:

He wanted the GB job but our UT grad Principal said no one with GB ties would get the job and we end up with what we have now.SMH!

The principal didnt want Satterfield back at Greenback? Or anyone with GB ties that could help instill the community pride in the program that has helped make it so successful? Strange. It's almost like he doesn't want the program to be successful.  Are the other Loudon county schools or someone pressuring him to keep from losing athletes? I know GB has or did have a rule that students could not come in from outside the county.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

The principal didnt want Satterfield back at Greenback? Or anyone with GB ties that could help instill the community pride in the program that has helped make it so successful? Strange. It's almost like he doesn't want the program to be successful.  Are the other Loudon county schools or someone pressuring him to keep from losing athletes? I know GB has or did have a rule that students could not come in from outside the county.  

Rule is still there and yes ANYONE with GB ties.I was at a loss when I heard what he said.Why would you not want a Coach from our bloodline?Its worked great!

5 hours ago, OrangePylon said:

The next coach at William Blount will have to build a connection with the kids at not only the high school, but at the middle school level as well. Part of the reason these kids are leaving and going to Alcoa, Maryville, Greenback, etc. is because there hasn’t been much of an attempt to build a relationship with the kids before they are in HS. Players have a harder time transferring when they feel like the school that they’re transferring away from has a coach who 1) Knows what he’s doing and 2) Truly cares about them

100%

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 32hammer said:

When I was growing up in the 37742 zip code, they didn't have that rule. We were split pretty evenly between WB/Greenback and we also had those two Maryville tuition football brothers, that lived in the Brady Bunch house. 

#MorgantonRoadMafia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

When I was growing up in the 37742 zip code, they didn't have that rule. We were split pretty evenly between WB/Greenback and we also had those two Maryville tuition football brothers, that lived in the Brady Bunch house. 

#MorgantonRoadMafia

My guess is that if not for that rule Greenback would double overnight in enrollment because of it being a newer school.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

My guess is that if not for that rule Greenback would double overnight in enrollment because of it being a newer school.

You have no idea!Not to be ugly but WB would have a hard time winning 1 or 2 games and I'm being serious.You should see the kids from WB who are starters that show up each summer trying to figure something out.This rule is crippling to our team every 5 or 6 years.Property is just too high to up and move for some folks.Also hard to find now.

That would probably change if they would make the right hire instead of looking for a miracle maker.

Dont mean to high jack just conversing!

Edited by orngnblk
  • Like 2