Westview at Gibson County

dmm88

Great atmosphere tonight.   As expected.  Westview came out on fire in first quarter and got a 10 point lead.  GC made a few runs but westview had the answer.   Stayed between 6-10 most of the way after that.   Micah hart struggled tonight.   And that was the difference along with I believe it was Brigance for westview raining 3s early to help them get the lead.   Jada was the best player on the floor.  Controlled the game great and made plays when she needed to.  Sims is gonna be tough for the next 4 years!   For GC Madison hart did was she does.   Probably had close to 20.  Just didn’t get enough help.   I came away tonight with the feeling that Westview is probably to the better team top to bottom.  But each game could go either way.    GC needs to find an answer for the zone.  And im sure Wilkins will have some wrinkles for it next time.  Hope to get to watch them play 4 more times.   

Westview is good. Brigance was huge. Barr was outstanding in the middle of the zone defensively. Jada and McCall did what they do. 

It’s going to be a tough obstacle for Gibson to knock off Westview this year. I think we can, but going to have to take a great game for us. Westview does a good job with the 2-3 zone, they don’t just sit back. We looked lost at times tonight. 

5 minutes ago, GlassHouseBound said:

Great atmosphere tonight.   As expected.  Westview came out on fire in first quarter and got a 10 point lead.  GC made a few runs but westview had the answer.   Stayed between 6-10 most of the way after that.   Micah hart struggled tonight.   And that was the difference along with I believe it was Brigance for westview raining 3s early to help them get the lead.   Jada was the best player on the floor.  Controlled the game great and made plays when she needed to.  Sims is gonna be tough for the next 4 years!   For GC Madison hart did was she does.   Probably had close to 20.  Just didn’t get enough help.   I came away tonight with the feeling that Westview is probably to the better team top to bottom.  But each game could go either way.    GC needs to find an answer for the zone.  And im sure Wilkins will have some wrinkles for it next time.  Hope to get to watch them play 4 more times.   

I agree. Micah was guarding their best player and our shots weren’t falling and there’s were. Wilkins will learn from it. GC wasn’t going to beat them every game any way. Thought rebounding was about even. Turnovers wasn’t a factor like I thought. To be quite honest, we played them pretty good just playing half court ball. They got the lead beating our press. Harrison played really well and their 3-5 played well. I agree Cantrelle guarded Simms well, but you can tell she is a player. Just got outplayed and have to make adjustments along the way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

Westview is good. Brigance was huge. Barr was outstanding in the middle of the zone defensively. Jada and McCall did what they do. 

It’s going to be a tough obstacle for Gibson to knock off Westview this year. I think we can, but going to have to take a great game for us. Westview does a good job with the 2-3 zone, they don’t just sit back. We looked lost at times tonight. 

Will be interesting what kind of adjustments GC makes. You play a team multiple times you learn how to play them.  GC might play a little zone themselves at times especially if they don’t press much and a zone might be even better and slow their big girl down. GC is a great zone team. They play man to create offense with their defense, but it obviously didn’t create none tonight. Zone might be better going forward especially if we play them a half court game. We played them pretty well once we got out of the press even in man, but a few wrinkles can be thrown in. Game 4 will be the main one in the Region if we make it that far. We seen how Loretto adjusted to Summertown last year. Hard to beat a good team multiple times.

56 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

It’s one game…the real games are played in the tournament. Two good teams played tonight. I’ve read CoachT for years, and I thought it was a good time to get on. But, it’s amazing at how many “make wild predictions” when they’re not even part of a program. 

…and I’m not talking about you GC. It’s the others outside of these programs. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

19 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

It’s one game…the real games are played in the tournament. Two good teams played tonight. I’ve read CoachT for years, and I thought it was a good time to get on. But, it’s amazing at how many “make wild predictions” when they’re not even part of a program. 

I would like to see the shooting percentages. GC is lucky we didn’t get blowed out the way we shot the ball. Their defense kept them in the game and in striking distance. I actually seen some good things in a loss. We actually had some some good looks at times. I am definitely optimistic we can make some adjustments and play better. Number 4 if we get there is the one that makes a big difference.

33 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I agree. Some of the talk here does get wild. I'm not a big fan of comparing the two coaches. Both are successful, do a good job, and have the track record to back it. Just leave it at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree. Micah was guarding their best player and our shots weren’t falling and there’s were. Wilkins will learn from it. GC wasn’t going to beat them every game any way. Thought rebounding was about even. Turnovers wasn’t a factor like I thought. To be quite honest, we played them pretty good just playing half court ball. They got the lead beating our press. Harrison played really well and their 3-5 played well. I agree Cantrelle guarded Simms well, but you can tell she is a player. Just got outplayed and have to make adjustments along the way. 

Yea it was a pretty good game. I was impressed by how good Westview shot the ball tonight. It was a great atmosphere in Gibson County! 

22 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

I agree. Some of the talk here does get wild. I'm not a big fan of comparing the two coaches. Both are successful, do a good job, and have the track record to back it. Just leave it at that.

Both coaches are great. Each school is lucky to have them and we respect Wilkins and GC’s program from our fan base & team. 

Since Haskins has been here, we play 3 seasons. Summer league, scrimmages and up to January in a much “looser” style and it’s a lot more relaxed, then we have a district style, and then a tourney style. It’s no secret. All the comparison stuff is childish. 

WV and GC focus on WV and GC. I’d also throw South Side in there as well with that mentality. If any of us beat each other by 15 on any given night, it’s just a bad night and everyone has them and then it’s on to the next. 

Good luck the rest of the way and we will see you at our house next time. Should be a good one in Round 2 as well. 

10 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

We are going to find out how good of player the Simms girl is and how she handles in your face pressure for 4 quarters. She is a Freshman and most fans picking Westview obviously thinks she is better than Gibson County’s guards and won’t have a lot of problems. I guess most Westview Fans think there post is better than ours too. I will say this. I wouldn’t trade Micah Hart or Madison Hart for “any” players in the state. To me offensively, I give a definite advantage to GC in the paint as far as points in the paint and taking it to the rim. I give a slight edge to Westview from the 3 point line. Tempo there is definitely a contrast in styles. GC plays pretty good in a half court offense but we want to play fast fast fast. Westview is going to play a slow, long possession, no press and zone defense type of game. Will be interesting. 

No one has even made that comparison on our side between the girls, for the record. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon