Westview at Gibson County

dmm88

4 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

No one has even made that comparison on our side, for the record, between the girls. Just an FYI 

They made the comparison with their picks. And that’s fine. We got outplayed. You lost three starters and the three replacements are pretty good. Surprised two of them especially the dark headed one wasn’t on the floor last year against Grainger as good of a three point shooter as she is. But I was impressed with Westview. You shoot the ball like you did tonight going to be hard for any team in AA to beat you. Round 1 is in the books. Round 4 will be the one that matters more if it materializes. 

26 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Yea it was a pretty good game. I was impressed by how good Westview shot the ball tonight. It was a great atmosphere in Gibson County! 

We got outplayed by a really good team. Happens that way some times. You try to learn in a loss and figure out what you can do to get better. We lost three the year we won it three years ago so we have been here before. We have to get better against their zone because that is what they do. Got to close out better and minimize space on defense. Glad you enjoyed the atmosphere. Was a big crowd. Congrats to Westview. They played well. 

8 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

They made the comparison with their picks. And that’s fine. We got outplayed. You lost three starters and the three replacements are pretty good. Surprised two of them especially the dark headed one wasn’t on the floor last year against Grainger as good of a three point shooter as she is. But I was impressed with Westview. You shoot the ball like you did tonight going to be hard for any team in AA to beat you. Round 1 is in the books. Round 4 will be the one that matters more if it materializes. 

I may be wrong, but only one poster picked WV on this thread. Like I said before, both of us are solid teams and we got Round 1. After the first quarter, our outside shooting % was so-so. We got several layups after getting behind y’all down the court. This win doesn’t mean we’re better than GC, it just means in Game 1 we found a way. We’re as deep as we’ve been in 8-9 years and we can rest a little more during the game. 

One  thing I will say, WV players & fans don’t talk a lot and don’t get into the “outside” noise. I think for our program to have done what we have over the last 12-15 years, we’re actually pretty humble. We don’t have any sideline “cheerleaders” in the stands making stupid comments on CoachT & stirring up fan emotions and dogging other teams. We respect the game and our opponents. 

There’s no telling how many summer games, scrimmages, and early season games that I’ve heard it be said to some of the girls over the years and I quote, “we might lose this game today or tonight, but we’re going to work on something different during the game or put something in during the game just to see our response or adjustment”. We have a hard time scheduling and could care less about rankings. Like GC, WV treats it like a business and not a popularity contest. 

See you in Round 2. We got business to handle before then, but it will be a good game. 

5 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I may be wrong, but only one poster picked WV on this thread. Like I said before, both of us are solid teams and we got Round 1. After the first quarter, our outside shooting % was so-so. We got several layups after getting behind y’all down the court. This win doesn’t mean we’re better than GC, it just means in Game 1 we found a way. We’re as deep as we’ve been in 8-9 years and we can rest a little more during the game. 

One  thing I will say, WV players & fans don’t talk a lot and don’t get into the “outside” noise. I think for our program to have done what we have over the last 12-15 years, we’re actually pretty humble. We don’t have any sideline “cheerleaders” in the stands making stupid comments on CoachT & stirring up fan emotions and dogging other teams. We respect the game and our opponents. 

There’s no telling how many summer games, scrimmages, and early season games that I’ve heard it be said to some of the girls over the years and I quote, “we might lose this game today or tonight, but we’re going to work on something different during the game or put something in during the game just to see our response or adjustment”. We have a hard time scheduling and could care less about rankings. Like GC, WV treats it like a business and not a popularity contest. 

See you in Round 2. We got business to handle before then, but it will be a good game. 

True statemenht.

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree. Micah was guarding their best player and our shots weren’t falling and there’s were. Wilkins will learn from it. GC wasn’t going to beat them every game any way. Thought rebounding was about even. Turnovers wasn’t a factor like I thought. To be quite honest, we played them pretty good just playing half court ball. They got the lead beating our press. Harrison played really well and their 3-5 played well. I agree Cantrelle guarded Simms well, but you can tell she is a player. Just got outplayed and have to make adjustments along the way. 

True

9 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

We got outplayed by a really good team. Happens that way some times. You try to learn in a loss and figure out what you can do to get better. We lost three the year we won it three years ago so we have been here before. We have to get better against their zone because that is what they do. Got to close out better and minimize space on defense. Glad you enjoyed the atmosphere. Was a big crowd. Congrats to Westview. They played well. 

Yea ppl have to understand that losses means nothing! It’s almost records out the door basketball. Losses are only bad if you do t learn from them! Yea their zone defense was on kill 

19 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

For the record, I never made a pick. I have always gave  Westview respect and have pulled for them in Murfreesboro for years and if we are not there and y’all are, I will do the same. I seen Jada and her parents and talked to them on the way out and told her how well she played. And I know others at GC that pull for Westview in Murfreesboro. We got outplayed in Round 1. We will see what happens from here on out. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Yea ppl have to understand that losses means nothing! It’s almost records out the door basketball. Losses are only bad if you do t learn from them! Yea their zone defense was on kill 

In the summer we lose more than we win in some play days. Not going to win them all. Got to learn and break a sweat after and make adjustments and get better. 

6 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

lol oh I know how much Greenfield doesn’t like Westview…it’s no secret

Ironically in years’ past, the WV student section are all in the Greenfield crowd when we’ve both have been there at the Boro. Also at the pep rallies, the players have requested everyone to support our local teams up there and specifically said support Greenfield. Over the years, I’ve seen Greenfield girls at our home games on their off night cheering for their friends. 
It’s sad to see local adults hating on neighborhood girls because of jealousy or whatever to create division. 

Any who. That’s my thoughts on it. 

• Like 1

This was a really good game and I can only imagine what it will be like at Westview. Gibson did not play as well as I have seen them play in the past, just looked blah at times. #22 for Westview is going to be one of the premier guards the next few years. She has very good ball skills and shoots the ball well. Of course, Jada Harrison is a big time prospect for a reason, she knows how to control the game and make the necessary plays. She did miss a lot of easy looks that she would normally make, but her presence alone makes the difference. #42 for Westview did her job in the paint and that was enough. I'm sure the next game will be even more exciting. Both coaches will make adjustments so they may look like two different teams