Loretta

Bulldog2396

1 hour ago, dmm88 said:

It's not just the game last night against Westview. South Side and South Gibson also exposed them a little bit, and quite frankly this is what it is: if Madison and Micah struggle, they won't beat really good teams.  And that's the difference between the 3 teams. Loretto has 4-5 kids who can score, Westview has 3-4, Gibson County has 2. And it won't be the last time. Odds are VERY HIGH they are gonna meet again in the district and region championship.

GC’s 3-5 had 13 points last night which isn’t many. Our 3-5 had 38 against McKenzie. To say all they got is 2 that can score means you don’t what your talking about. 

10 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Yeah GC decided after they got down 10 last night we will just play them a half court no press type of game and lost by 8. Westview exposed GC some especially Jada getting in the paint and made nice assists against GC’s man to man defense. I would bet big money Westview won’t see the same GC game plan in the future. GC has been known to play a great zone defense themselves and cut the paint off.  I would bet you won’t see the same matchups with defenders either playing man. Micah guarded Jada last night and that is a lot for a PG. Wilkins will practice zone I would bet from here on out. Loretto plays a similar 2-3 zone. And to hear that Loretto is just an unbeatable team is foolish. Burdette exposed them. Why?? Because that is their weak spot. Post. Loretto is my number 1 team as well. But that don’t mean they are unbeatable. They are likely going to be undefeated as well. That ain’t easy. Ask Summertown Fans what kind of trophy they won at the Glass House for sweeping Loretto in the Tournaments and the Regular Season last year. Ask Loretto Fans in 2019 what kind of trophy they won for beating mighty Greenfield by 11 at state. Ask us Gibson County Fans what kind of trophy we won last year for losing to North Green. To say Loretto is unbeatable is foolish. Better keep an eye out for the McMinn Central’s, Gatlinburg Pittman’s, York’s and Westmoreland’s of the world as well. Loretto has already had a dogfight with Westmoreland, 7 point game. That is not many points. Beat South Side by 11. That is not many. 

We're definitely not unbeatable.  No girls team in TN is unbeatable. 

At the same time, Burdette hasn't "exposed" Loretto.  She may have in a few games last year, but she didn't expose us this year.  We are a completely different team. She made some good offensive plays, and I believe she finished with like 16-18 points.  We didn't have problems scoring in the paint, and she wasn't close to an unstoppable force offensively (not to mention they had a lot of trouble feeding her).  So i'm not sure what you're referring to here.

We can hypothesize what will or can happen all day, but the games will be played and I'm sure there will be a few shockers along the way.

A lot of people doubted how good Loretto truly was earlier in the year.  Westmoreland could beat GC or WV on any given night.  Karly balled out that game (30 plus), but outside of her, our shots weren't falling like they have in every other game (still won by 7 on the road).  We all know SS is a great team, beating them by 11 on the road/neutral was a solid win.  I heard multiple people say Summertown would play us close, that game was never close and if not for 2 separate clutch 3's by Campbell, could have been blown wide open.

Anything can happen in basketball, but I think all any of us in Lawrence County are saying is Loretto is special this year, but that definitely doesn't mean we are unbeatable.  Crazy things are known to happen at Substate & State!  Any of the top 7ish teams could get hot & win in AA.  But I'll still say, if a AA team beats Loretto, they're going to have to shoot well, protect the ball, handle pressure, create space in the halfcourt game, and play great Defense.  If a team doesn't put all of that together, I don't think it will happen.  If it does, I'll be the first to congratulate that team on a great win!

I'm just excited to see it all unfold!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

We're definitely not unbeatable.  No girls team in TN is unbeatable. 

At the same time, Burdette hasn't "exposed" Loretto.  She may have in a few games last year, but she didn't expose us this year.  We are a completely different team. She made some good offensive plays, and I believe she finished with like 16-18 points.  We didn't have problems scoring in the paint, and she wasn't close to an unstoppable force offensively (not to mention they had a lot of trouble feeding her).  So i'm not sure what you're referring to here.

We can hypothesize what will or can happen all day, but the games will be played and I'm sure there will be a few shockers along the way.

A lot of people doubted how good Loretto truly was earlier in the year.  Westmoreland could beat GC or WV on any given night.  Karly balled out that game (30 plus), but outside of her, our shots weren't falling like they have in every other game (still won by 7 on the road).  We all know SS is a great team, beating them by 11 on the road/neutral was a solid win.  I heard multiple people say Summertown would play us close, that game was never close and if not for 2 separate clutch 3's by Campbell, could have been blown wide open.

Anything can happen in basketball, but I think all any of us in Lawrence County are saying is Loretto is special this year, but that definitely doesn't mean we are unbeatable.  Crazy things are known to happen at Substate & State!  Any of the top 7ish teams could get hot & win in AA.  But I'll still say, if a AA team beats Loretto, they're going to have to shoot well, protect the ball, handle pressure, create space in the halfcourt game, and play great Defense.  If a team doesn't put all of that together, I don't think it will happen.  If it does, I'll be the first to congratulate that team on a great win!

I'm just excited to see it all unfold!

Good post. To hear some of the posters saying Westview would have to play a perfect game to beat Loretto when nobody really knows. Westview would have been tough for anyone to beat last night. Jada Harrison had 0 Turnovers and a whole bunch of assists and points. GC hasn’t seen much if any zone all year and they have to get better at it. Not just as players but as coaches too. As far as Loretto goes, I do believe they are the team to beat and the road to the state championship goes through Loretto at some point and time. Either in sub-state or state Loretto by somebody will have to be dealt with and it won’t be easy. I will be there the 28th. I look forward to the trip and will definitely be there early. Look forward to hopefully seeing you guys again and meeting y’all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Good post. To hear some of the posters saying Westview would have to play a perfect game to beat Loretto when nobody really knows. Westview would have been tough for anyone to beat last night. Jada Harrison had 0 Turnovers and a whole bunch of assists and points. GC hasn’t seen much if any zone all year and they have to get better at it. Not just as players but as coaches too. As far as Loretto goes, I do believe they are the team to beat and the road to the state championship goes through Loretto at some point and time. Either in sub-state or state Loretto by somebody will have to be dealt with and it won’t be easy. I will be there the 28th. I look forward to the trip and will definitely be there early. Look forward to hopefully seeing you guys again and meeting y’all.

I'll be there, but won't be able to make it early.  (I'll have a reserved seat).  :-)

Safe travels!  Should be a packed house.

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

I'll be there, but won't be able to make it early.  (I'll have a reserved seat).  :-)

Safe travels!  Should be a packed house.

I will post on this Loretto thread and will give you a holler when I am there. I will say Hi to Loretto and hopefully Jaychampman while I am there. I love GC but I am civil to our opponents. 

Edited by pioneer42

19 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

GC’s 3-5 had 13 points last night which isn’t many. Our 3-5 had 38 against McKenzie. To say all they got is 2 that can score means you don’t what your talking about. 

I would agree with you here.  Honestly 2-5 didn’t score like they can last night.  Micah struggled as well. And GC only lost by 8.  There’s plenty of room for them to play better.  They will have to if they want to beat westview.   

2 hours ago, GlassHouseBound said:

I would agree with you here.  Honestly 2-5 didn’t score like they can last night.  Micah struggled as well. And GC only lost by 8.  There’s plenty of room for them to play better.  They will have to if they want to beat westview.   

3-6 actually had 15. Micah 9, Madison 18, Cantrelle 4, Carrol 5, Goad 6 was the box score. GC had 5 3’s which isn’t bad but the problem is they shot a bunch of them and percentage was not good at all. GC missed a lot of looks within 6-8 feet. Shooting percentage had to be bad. Defensively Micah was guarding Jada so that is not an easy task for one of your best players and PG’s exerting a ton of energy guarding her and GC could definitely make an adjustment there. Westview scored 17 the first 6 1/2 minutes while GC was pressing. Last 25 1/2 minutes they scored 33 not pressing at all, which in a four quarter game would equal around 41 points. Think GC will have to pick and choose when they press, work on attacking their zone offensively in a more organized way and possibly throwing in some zone themselves to keep them out of the paint if they continue to get in the paint like game 1. This is just just me personally what I saw and my opinions, may not be right but things I would look at. GC facing this zone early is not a bad thing, IMO.  Loretto definitely plays zone. Maybe Summertown and ???? 

Edited by pioneer42

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

3-6 actually had 15. Micah 9, Madison 18, Cantrelle 4, Carrol 5, Goad 6 was the box score. GC had 5 3’s which isn’t bad but the problem is they shot a bunch of them and percentage was not good at all. GC missed a lot of looks within 6-8 feet. Shooting percentage had to be bad. Defensively Micah was guarding Jada so that is not an easy task for one of your best players and PG’s exerting a ton of energy guarding her and GC could definitely make an adjustment there. Westview scored 17 the first 6 1/2 minutes while GC was pressing. Last 25 1/2 minutes they scored 33 not pressing at all, which in a four quarter game would equal around 41 points. Think GC will have to pick and choose when they press, work on attacking their zone offensively in a more organized way and possibly throwing in some zone themselves to keep them out of the paint if they continue to get in the paint like game 1. This is just just me personally what I saw and my opinions, may not be right but things I would look at. GC facing this zone early is not a bad thing, IMO.  Loretto definitely plays zone. Maybe Summertown and ???? 

Summertown all man - zone rarely 

34 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Summertown all man - zone rarely 

GC plays man 95% of the time unless we have trouble with a team getting to the rim. Certain teams that get to the rim I have seen him play all zone. Loretto for the most plays zone that I have seen. Look forward to watching y’all this week. I told mas1821 I would say Hi to him. I met him a couple of years ago I believe. What time you get there?? Don’t you do radio?? 

12 minutes ago, 1MustangFan said:

On the 28th against Summertown, you may want to get there about 4:00 lol

Got there last year at 5 and there was a line almost to the gate to the parking lot. 

I went to Loretto last year to the game and yes I got their early and watched a JV game. I will be there by 4:30 at the latest. Pretty drive that I don’t mind at all. Y’all sell tickets at the gate??

Edited by pioneer42