Bearden vs west

Icebox89

From a bar on Sutherland, holding penalties and stalls in the red zone on West’s part have made what should have been a blowout a mild drubbing. Still unimpressed with Bearden’s recruiting class after seeing them play on DCM. If the Bulldogs want to cut the cheese with their schedule they’ll need to make a change at QB. Very impressed with #3 for Bearden one of their few bright spots. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, edwardblake said:

From a bar on Sutherland, holding penalties and stalls in the red zone on West’s part have made what should have been a blowout a mild drubbing. Still unimpressed with Bearden’s recruiting class after seeing them play on DCM. If the Bulldogs want to cut the cheese with their schedule they’ll need to make a change at QB. Very impressed with #3 for Bearden one of their few bright spots. 

West coach play calling in what you call the red zone was the major problem. Harder to run the ball when you have more defenders closer to the LOS. Either put more blockers at LOS or run play action passes or do both. West did neither. They ran the same running plays. Should have been a blow out if West ran the ball more. West Defense is very good. Bearden can't run the ball. No real running game scheme. They rely too much on the QB and he had to run for his life a lot like last year. Plenty of big bodied fast looking players for Bearden, what zone the come from l will not guess. But if the are recruited or not you still have to produce. l hope Bearden people are happy with what they got. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty ho-hum game, but it's also week 1. West looked great in the trenches, on both sides of the football. It'll be interesting to see how their QB's accuracy develops over the course of the season. He does a nice job of stepping up in the pocket and can scramble, but they really struggled at times in the passing game last season. West is a really good football team, and I expect them to be a final four team (at least), but they didn't overwhelm Bearden like I thought they might.

Bearden looks improved, but they have a very long way to go. It will be interesting to see how they develop over the next year or two. Going from being a power running team to a Josh Jones run and shoot offense isn't an easy adjustment.

Edited by osunut2

12 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Nice win for the Rebels.  They will only get better as the season goes along.  Bearden looked much improved,   But they have to beat  Murvil twice in a season to do anything.  Refs almost let it get out of hand.

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Pretty ho-hum game, but it's also week 1. West looked great in the trenches, on both sides of the football. It'll be interesting to see how their QB's accuracy develops over the course of the season. He does a nice job of stepping up in the pocket and can scramble, but they really struggled at times in the passing game last season. West is a really good football team, and I expect them to be a final four team (at least), but they didn't overwhelm Bearden like I thought they might.

Bearden looks improved, but they have a very long way to go. It will be interesting to see how they develop over the next year or two. Going from being a power running team to a Josh Jones run and shoot offense isn't an easy adjustment.

I’m curious as to what has improved at Bearden because from my perch at West High it looked like the same game as last year. Still a poor performance up front on both sides of the ball, still have poor QB play, and still have ball security issues. Last year it was 24-2 and this year it was 27-7. Same amount of turnovers except this time with an interception run back for a touchdown. What are you seeing that I’m missing?

1 hour ago, edwardblake said:

I’m curious as to what has improved at Bearden because from my perch at West High it looked like the same game as last year. Still a poor performance up front on both sides of the ball, still have poor QB play, and still have ball security issues. Last year it was 24-2 and this year it was 27-7. Same amount of turnovers except this time with an interception run back for a touchdown. What are you seeing that I’m missing?

l agree with you. l don't see a better Bearden football team. Bearden offense is not very good. West defense is very good. #14 for West on offense ran the ball hard. West offensive line was better than Bearden defensive front and LBs. Bearden could not run the football effectively to take pressure of Beardens QB. West defensive front and LBs shut the run down and put pressure on the QB. Bearden has plenty of big bodied players that can run. Is it a lack of coaching or want to by the players. Only time will tell. Saw a lot of talking after plays by Bearden players. Did not seem to help much. A lot of penalties for Bearden also. Maybe a lack of discipline on Beardens part. West had a lot of penalties also and they talked after plays also, but West had enough football players/ athletes to over come their lack of discipline. l hope Diamond Clear Media did not jinx Bearden. l noticed before the game got started it said West (0-0) vs Bearden (4-5) on the screen. Maybe DMC was predicting Beardens record for this year, maybe not.