Cocke County at Heritage

BarneySox2007

If Heritage has a good week at practice and works on defense they will see their first win this coming Friday. It also hit me yesterday who Joe Osovet not only reminds me of but he's the reincarnation of Stu Aberdeen.  Stu was the long time head assistant for Ray Mears and was the backbone of Tennessee Basketball. Stu was the man that went to New York and grabbed Ernie and Bernie and brought them to Tennessee. He was a fireball on the sidelines of the basketball court well known for his massive amount of energy throwing his clipboard on the court many a time with papers flying everywhere and never knew what was going to come out of his mouth and the fans loved him. He definitely wasn't the tallest man on the court but his dynamite personality and short fuse made him stand out tall among everyone. Stu left Tennessee after 11 years and went to West Virginia and died of a massive heart attack while jogging in his second year there at the age of 43. Most younger readers aren't going to remember or even know of him but the older ones know exactly.

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If Heritage has a good week at practice and works on defense they will see their first win this coming Friday. It also hit me yesterday who Joe Osovet not only reminds me of but he's the reincarnation of Stu Aberdeen.  Stu was the long time head assistant for Ray Mears and was the backbone of Tennessee Basketball. Stu was the man that went to New York and grabbed Ernie and Bernie and brought them to Tennessee. He was a fireball on the sidelines of the basketball court well known for his massive amount of energy throwing his clipboard on the court many a time with papers flying everywhere and never knew what was going to come out of his mouth and the fans loved him. He definitely wasn't the tallest man on the court but his dynamite personality and short fuse made him stand out tall among everyone. Stu left Tennessee after 11 years and went to West Virginia and died of a massive heart attack while jogging in his second year there at the age of 43. Most younger readers aren't going to remember or even know of him but the older ones know exactly.

I watched Double Trouble a long time ago. Both Ernie Grunfield and Bernard King said they went to Tennessee because of Stu Aberdeen. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 3:12 PM, OldRebel2 said:

Heritage's away white uniforms are trimmed in Red and Black.  The helmet emblem has Columbia Blue in it, but the jerseys and pants were trimmed Red and Black.   I thought the uniforms looked great, but I am confused as to the colors.  I've missed this if it's been posted somewhere.

A lot of us have wondered what's going on with the uniforms, none of them actually match or coordinate with the helmets. it's odd. As for the 'cussing coach' comments, I've been told he was talked to in regard to his language and to tone it down.

The Mountaineers almost pulled out the win against Cocke Co last year, a failed 2pt conversion kept them from winning. I was looking up the articles from that week/game last year from TDT to see what all happened, and realized that was also the week that Coach Hammontree lost his oldest son to COVID. 

Hoping the boys grab their first win at home tonight. 

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Well congrats to Heritage for getting the monkey off their back finally. Offense looking better but defense is still missing and may need their picture on a milk carton.

Defense forced 5 turnovers last night, I think WHOLE team turned corner. But we all know what next week brings, hope they are up to challenge 

2 hours ago, alphaking95 said:

Defense forced 5 turnovers last night, I think WHOLE team turned corner. But we all know what next week brings, hope they are up to challenge 

I'm very glad they won last night also. I watched periodically on Diamond Clear while at another game with the sound on mute to drown out the guy that does those annoying long commercials that sounds like somebody with a potato chip bag clip on his nose. Turning a corner to me is taking wins from WB, Seymour, Lenior City and Halls going 5-5 this year against team you should be winning against, not just Cocke County who got beat the week before 45-3.