Heritage at William Blount

BarneySox2007

11 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If Heritage goes 5-5 it will have been worth it. WB is so far away it will be a while until the feeder system starts to generate. If Osolet left the program would be more inviting for better coaches to apply. Shad totally destroyed the WB program for many years and that is a fact that has to be realized. Poor coaching destroyed one of the best kickers this county has seen last year. Poor coaching allowed a super great athlete to gather bad habits then they transfer to another school only to be a serviceable player due to how hard it is to erase those habits.

Agree. Hammontree wasn’t successful at Heritage in terms of wins and losses but he didn’t do the kind of lasting damage Shad did at WB. It will be a very long uphill climb at WB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, camppack said:

Agree. Hammontree wasn’t successful at Heritage in terms of wins and losses but he didn’t do the kind of lasting damage Shad did at WB. It will be a very long uphill climb at WB.

I don't hold Robert Reeves accountable if they lose out all year and it will be a long uphill climb. I just hope his kids don't quit him on that climb. Very hard to be fired for losing in some programs and Blount County isn't going to do that, usually a coaches common sense will tell him it's time to go. Hamontree was just to old school for this newer generation of kids and with that massive walkout by that group a few years ago really done the damage for him. 

23 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If Heritage goes 5-5 it will have been worth it. WB is so far away it will be a while until the feeder system starts to generate. If Osolet left the program would be more inviting for better coaches to apply. Shad totally destroyed the WB program for many years and that is a fact that has to be realized. Poor coaching destroyed one of the best kickers this county has seen last year. Poor coaching allowed a super great athlete to gather bad habits then they transfer to another school only to be a serviceable player due to how hard it is to erase those habits.

Agree. It has to be incredibly frustrating for all our county neighbors. The football interest, IQ and talent doesn’t double or disappear when you cross the city/county line, but winning is elusive for these two. They are running out of people to blame.

10 minutes ago, strongx said:

Agree. It has to be incredibly frustrating for all our county neighbors. The football interest, IQ and talent doesn’t double or disappear when you cross the city/county line, but winning is elusive for these two. They are running out of people to blame.

The problems at these two schools are the unintended results of multiple decisions made over the years starting with the decision to create them to the most recent one creating a football program at Eagleton. In most cases, no one intentionally sought to hurt the programs at HHS and WB. They just didn't understand the consequences each of their decisions would have and the overall cumulative effect. As for blame, it's shared by the county commissioners, the school board, the community who elects the county and school board officials, the school administrations, the athletic directors, the coaches, and the neighboring football programs. The combined impact has been to create a disaster that will be hard to recover from. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 8:55 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

I don't hold Robert Reeves accountable if they lose out all year and it will be a long uphill climb. I just hope his kids don't quit him on that climb. Very hard to be fired for losing in some programs and Blount County isn't going to do that, usually a coaches common sense will tell him it's time to go. Hamontree was just to old school for this newer generation of kids and with that massive walkout by that group a few years ago really done the damage for him. 

Everybody has different versions of 'old school' and what that entails. As for the major walkout, that wasn't as major as you would think. It's just what people want to talk about. 

The root of the problem, no matter who the coach is, was established and put on blast the past couple of years. Hammontree was told no to expanding his staff, no positions, no teaching positions, and we all know what happened with the field house. Other threads mention the depth of concern for the program over the years and I've been one to mention quite a few things not just of the administration changes & county changes over the tenure of Hammontree. It is always more than us in the community sees. But even this new head coach has said that he came in and told them if he was going to coach there, what he needed, it's just sad that they listened to him and nobody else because of who he is. The kids deserved it before now. He tells everybody that will listen that he's not once been told no. Whether that's good or bad, yet to be determined. 

I'm glad things are changing for the kids, but the same old blame game of coaching isn't truly fair, especially when you see the actual difference in Shad and Hammontree. Like others have mentioned, that's night and day. 

Hammontree is still teaching at Heritage from what I've been told. He has the strength and conditioning classes for athletes and students and actually takes care of all the athletic fields on campus. That's incredible dedication to the overall good of HHS. That man deserves a lot of respect. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Pinocchio007 said:

CANNOT let this thread disappear :mrgreen:. To much on the line for Blount Co schools.  I guess everyone will be going over to Shields Stadium instead of Willy B. 

Agreed! We just need a way for this discussion to go beyond this forum. Lots of us on here care deeply about HS football in Blount County but it seems like those who are making decisions that impact the programs don’t share the same passion. 

• Like 1