Elizabethton @ Boone @ ETSU

blazer1set

5 minutes ago, NETNSportsFan said:

I thought this was a Boone vs Elizabethton thread? 

It's okay, I have hijacked other threads before too...     I am afraid to say that there are only a couple of Boone fans on the T and all the Elizabethton fans have already conceded this game as a loss so they aren't saying much.     That is a big mistake on their part, even though everyone thinks Boone wins it is not over until it is over.   And I can promise the Boone coaching staff, of whom I personally know several, are NOT overlooking the Cyclones.    I was hoping my post the other day about all the X's and O's would get some Elizabethton people to talking their X's/O's.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/high-school/history-on-cyclones-side-but-boone-flying-high/article_2694fa1a-2d23-11ed-9592-5b69c54acbec.html

History on Cyclones' side, but Boone flying high

It will be a guaranteed college atmosphere when Elizabethton meets Daniel Boone on Friday night.

What is not guaranteed is history repeating itself.

These longtime competitors will meet for the 37th time in a game that will be played at East Tennessee State University’s Greene Stadium. The game was moved to the college venue because the lighting isn’t ready at Boone’s new turf field, and a Saturday afternoon game likely wouldn’t attract the kind of attendance this game can draw on a Friday night.

History says the Cyclones will find a way to win this game, but 2022 results suggest an extremely tough challenge. Boone has only beaten Elizabethton two times in 36 meetings. The first was in the 2005 playoffs, a 35-28 decision, and the next was 14-7 in 2012. Both of those games were on the Trailblazers’ home field.

This time, Boone is 3-0 on the season and looks like one of the best teams in the state in Class 5A. The Trailblazers have outscored three opponents by a combined margin of 129-7. Meanwhile, Elizabethton has scored just seven points in two games while surrendering 38.

Also, Boone came very close to beating Elizabethton in each of the last two meetings: 20-13 last year and 23-21 with the Cyclones blocking a short last-minute field goal attempt to preserve a 2020 victory.

There is a silver lining for the Cyclones as their strength of schedule far surpasses that of Daniel Boone. But the bad news is the Trailblazers’ defense and special teams are their strengths. When the Cyclones get the ball, they will likely face a long field against a rock-tough defense — unless they can force Boone into turnovers.

It’s an important game for the Trailblazers, who need to maintain momentum with the meat of their schedule coming up: Morristown West, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Science Hill, Tennessee High, David Crockett and Hampton. That’s a tough road.

It’s also a key game for the Cyclones, who could find a winning season in jeopardy if they fall to 0-3 with Anderson County and Rhea County still on the slate and only nine games scheduled.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 5:34 PM, Bigslydog1983 said:

Boones special teams is as good as anyone's in the state. Not to mention they will be alot more disciplined on both sides of the ball than Greeneville was. This could be a scary game for the Cyclones. I see both teams bringing a great crowd for an exciting atmosphere.

DB should come out the winners in this game, but they should come ready with their A game. In my opinion Elizabethton has the best coaching staff in upper east tn. including Greeneville. The team is a little young and inexperienced as well as being a little low on talent compared to previous years. It's going to come together at some point during the season, I think. Notice I used upper case letters in "DB". Boone has earned that right this year. 

9 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

DB should come out the winners in this game, but they should come ready with their A game. In my opinion Elizabethton has the best coaching staff in upper east tn. including Greeneville. The team is a little young and inexperienced as well as being a little low on talent compared to previous years. It's going to come together at some point during the season, I think. Notice I used upper case letters in "DB". Boone has earned that right this year. 

Thanks for the "DB", let's see how we do tomorrow night against Elizabethton because as you say they will get it together at some point.    The real DB is no slouch this year, seem to be a lot better than I or most people expected.    Wishing all a safe game tomorrow against Crockett