Oak Ridge against Farragut

bounder

The smoking trucks have cleared the Blankenship parking lots and headed back to Clinton after a really good game. They will be replaced this week by the horde of BMWs, Lexus and Mercedes from the land of Wine and Cheese. Farragut had a pretty good showing at Maryville last week and hung 28 on the Rebels, that concerns me. Wildcats are still limping in a lot of spots and again several key players may not play due to injuries. Seems like in the last few years, the Wildcats main problem has been not getting the Admiral offense off the field on third downs, allowing them to finish drives and score. The Wildcat offense needs to help the defense by running the ball and finishing drives. Kicking could play a big part as both teams have good kickers if it comes down to a field goal.  I think its close, but for OR to win, I think they need to win the turnover battle and cash in when they get one,

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I think we will have a clearer look at where OR is or isn't after this game.

I don’t. I see what you’re saying, but even if we lose we still will have some key contributors out. An early season loss won’t be the end of the world, especially in a non-region game. We have a lot of room for improvement, either way. I think what team we have now and what we will have come playoff time will be a lot different. That’s assuming we get those key guys back from injuries and don’t lose any other skilled players between now and then. I’ve been a fan of OR for 40 years or so now, and we always get better as the season goes along, it seems. That’s why I’ve never really liked playing Farragut early on in the season, because we are typically not at our best when we do. I guess a lot of other teams could say the same. Oh well, we’ll strap on the pads and see how it goes. I know one thing, we’re gonna have to open up the playbook drastically to be able to win this game. Running the ball 65-75% of the time against Farragut ain’t gonna get it done, even though I hear they’ve struggled against the run thus far this season. We have to turn this series around though. We’ve lost way too many times recently to the blue bloods. This game was more or less an automatic win for OR historically, but not so much anymore.

38 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I don’t. I see what you’re saying, but even if we lose we still will have some key contributors out. An early season loss won’t be the end of the world, especially in a non-region game. We have a lot of room for improvement, either way. I think what team we have now and what we will have come playoff time will be a lot different. That’s assuming we get those key guys back from injuries and don’t lose any other skilled players between now and then. I’ve been a fan of OR for 40 years or so now, and we always get better as the season goes along, it seems. That’s why I’ve never really liked playing Farragut early on in the season, because we are typically not at our best when we do. I guess a lot of other teams could say the same. Oh well, we’ll strap on the pads and see how it goes. I know one thing, we’re gonna have to open up the playbook drastically to be able to win this game. Running the ball 65-75% of the time against Farragut ain’t gonna get it done, even though I hear they’ve struggled against the run thus far this season. We have to turn this series around though. We’ve lost way too many times recently to the blue bloods. This game was more or less an automatic win for OR historically, but not so much anymore.

I agree with what you have said. However, I’m pretty sure we weren’t even at 75 percent run. I think it was more like 80, maybe more. It looked like we were hanging on not trying to go win it, but very glad we got the win!  Not sure how many plays we ran last week, but we didn’t pass hardly at all the second half. With our athletes, we have to get the ball to them quickly for us to win. They stack the box with a 4:3 and we will have to beat them on the outside. They have man to man coverage on the outside receivers and I believe we have the better athletes out wide. Lets open it up and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I just have no idea how many players would be on injury. I do realize OR can always reload and that almost always they are ready for playoffs. I think IMO Farragut is a good test. I am pretty sure they will come together but at what point. This is making me believe they will end up at least 5-5. Maybe a 6-4 but IMO if they beat Powell. All in all not bad for a 1st year coach. If they get everything rolling quickly I can stretch a 7-3. But as we all know if they make it to playoffs with OR it's starts a new season and that's when they shine.

I don't think OR will be a good team until about the last couple of seasonal games. It's gonna take time for Scott to get the QB thinking properly, he's good with QBs and this one is brand new to him, the entire team needs time to confidently get the new systems working and we're missing the injured guys. Personally, I would not play Jai Friday. Not until he is 100%, as much as I want to win every game, this isn't a district deal.

1 hour ago, Rwrbigcat said:

I agree with what you have said. However, I’m pretty sure we weren’t even at 75 percent run. I think it was more like 80, maybe more. It looked like we were hanging on not trying to go win it, but very glad we got the win!  Not sure how many plays we ran last week, but we didn’t pass hardly at all the second half. With our athletes, we have to get the ball to them quickly for us to win. They stack the box with a 4:3 and we will have to beat them on the outside. They have man to man coverage on the outside receivers and I believe we have the better athletes out wide. Lets open it up and see what happens. 

Yeah, I was actually gonna say about 80, but I hadn’t seen the box score for the game, but like you said, we didn’t pass much at all second half, and frankly haven’t a whole lot in all 3 games. I agree, we’re gonna have to open it up to have any chance at all against Farragut. The question has never been do we have the better athletes, but can the line protect #2 long enough to find the open guys. I’d like to see more rollout, boot-leg type passes. #2 has pretty good wheels on him. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ipb7 said:

I don't think OR will be a good team until about the last couple of seasonal games. It's gonna take time for Scott to get the QB thinking properly, he's good with QBs and this one is brand new to him, the entire team needs time to confidently get the new systems working and we're missing the injured guys. Personally, I would not play Jai Friday. Not until he is 100%, as much as I want to win every game, this isn't a district deal.

Yeah I wouldn’t play Jai either unless 100% either. I hate losing to Farragut so much, but I’d rather him be completely healthy when it counts.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I just have no idea how many players would be on injury. I do realize OR can always reload and that almost always they are ready for playoffs. I think IMO Farragut is a good test. I am pretty sure they will come together but at what point. This is making me believe they will end up at least 5-5. Maybe a 6-4 but IMO if they beat Powell. All in all not bad for a 1st year coach. If they get everything rolling quickly I can stretch a 7-3. But as we all know if they make it to playoffs with OR it's starts a new season and that's when they shine.

I’ll take 7-3 any day. Huge improvement over 3-8 last season.

15 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, I was actually gonna say about 80, but I hadn’t seen the box score for the game, but like you said, we didn’t pass much at all second half, and frankly haven’t a whole lot in all 3 games. I agree, we’re gonna have to open it up to have any chance at all against Farragut. The question has never been do we have the better athletes, but can the line protect #2 long enough to find the open guys. I’d like to see more rollout, boot-leg type passes. #2 has pretty good wheels on him. 

I think that it has taken time to learn a zone read option playbook. None of the kids had ran that before, so I’m hoping that’s why we have been basic. Last game looking at stats I’d like to see more balance of the play calling for sure. If we can get even to a 60/40 run/pass book it would be much harder to defend. I would also like to see them run #2 more, actually saw a great option that I think was pulled by him at last second and he got the first down on that carry, but also would love to see him get at least 20 passes a game. We have to give #13 more touches than three or four chances a game. He should have at least 7-10 chances to touch the ball. We have good other receivers as well. We threw 10 passes last game and I’m pretty sure 9:10 hit the receivers in the hands. Good observations for sure. 

Edited by Rwrbigcat