CPA at MBA

ChuckDSanAntonio

8 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

Yeah there were a lot of MBA people who wanted this one bad. More than new rival McCallie, old rival Father Ryan, or fairly new rivals BA and Ensworth.  Crews Law left the game early but came back so seems like not a serious injury. Hoping he is okay. I just don’t get the decision when you are undersized and have a bunch of guys playing both ways to run that hurry up no huddle the entire game. CPA was completely gassed from mid second quarter on. 

the Thursday night deal, just not great. Kinda dead on both sides. Hope we get this figured out. HS football meant for Friday nights.  

Thursday night football is here to stay and its only going to get bigger.  officiating shortage is real, especially in Memphis,  Southern Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee.

1 hour ago, fredjones said:

Thursday night football is here to stay and its only going to get bigger.  officiating shortage is real, especially in Memphis,  Southern Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee.

At our scrimmage vs. Henry County this summer, they were using it as some sort of referee training game.  New officials rotated every quarter.  It looked like there were about 100 officials there that night.  Maybe making progress...I guy I know who refs at the youth level told me a lot of guys don't want to be high school refs because they have to come out of pocket for a decent chunk of change to go through training/certification/etc.  I think the TSSAA put it out there that the schools were responsible for sponsoring 2 officials a year, so hopefully that will help some.

2 hours ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

After seeing the MBA CPA game I'm thinking CPA is not going to move up to AAA.  The homegrown fans are going to have a real struggle this year.  Telling them we need to move up won't play well at the end of the year.  They did break a couple of 10+ yard runs, but their offense was largely chuck it.  21 is a special athlete and I get trying to get him the ball often, but there was a lot of chuckin and duckin going on last night.  The CPA LA game is at "The Den" this year and I wouldn't be surprised if LA puts up 60+ points and CPA will never get into scoring position without an LA turnover.  CPA will milk every second of the play clock, but LA will score on almost every possession.  LA linebackers will have more than 6 sacks.  Blood bank guarantee.

I was surprised they didn't do more to get him the ball...run end arounds, jet sweeps, line him up as RB, throw screens to him, put him in the wildcat.  He's as fast as Barion Brown, that's what PC did with him last year.  I was impressed with the job our DBs did with him last night, but like you say it was a lot of just chucking it up downfield to him.  

5 hours ago, fredjones said:

Big reason why there's a shortage:

$115 per Friday night game ...

3:30-5:30 .. Drive to game (you pay the gas)

5:30-7:00 .. Get dressed, pregame, talk to coaches, go thru all checklists for the game, check equipment

7:00-8:00 .. Kickoff and first half (get screamed at and cursed at, run about a mile) 

8:00-8:20 .. Halftime (rest, eat a bag of chips and a bottle of water if the school is nice enough to provide it) 

8:20-9:30 .. 2nd half (get cursed at and screamed at even worse, especially if the game is tight going down the stretch, run another mile)

9:30 -10:00 .. Leave the field with police as security, shower, change clothes, leave the school

10:00-10:15 .. Drive to the closest fast food joint because you're starving

10:15-10:45 .. wait in line and eventually scarf down a dry burger with fries

10:45-12:45 .. Drive home (you once again pay the gas) 

Hopefully be in bed by 1:30 am .. 

3:30 - 12:30 is 9 hours ... 

$115 for 9 hours equals $12.77 per hour 

Oh yeah, take off $20 in gas .. 

$95 for 9 hours equals $10.50 per hour .. 

(You've also spent $400 on equipment, officials pants, shirts, shoes, flags etc) 

Any idea what a high school profits on a Friday night game ??? These officials are the guys you gotta have to make that money ... They do it because they love it .. not for the money ... While you are watching your kids play, they are away from their families .. Pay em .. they earn it .. and from what they have to go thru, they deserve it !!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

At our scrimmage vs. Henry County this summer, they were using it as some sort of referee training game.  New officials rotated every quarter.  It looked like there were about 100 officials there that night.  Maybe making progress...I guy I know who refs at the youth level told me a lot of guys don't want to be high school refs because they have to come out of pocket for a decent chunk of change to go through training/certification/etc.  I think the TSSAA put it out there that the schools were responsible for sponsoring 2 officials a year, so hopefully that will help some.

That was a TSSAA state clinic for officials that will be working championship games.  The coaches association paid for one new official per association; 13 associations in the state.

50 minutes ago, wholder said:

5:30-7:00 .. Get dressed, pregame, talk to coaches, go thru all checklists for the game, check equipment

7:00-8:00 .. Kickoff and first half (get screamed at and cursed at, run about a mile) 

8:00-8:20 .. Halftime (rest, eat a bag of chips and a bottle of water if the school is nice enough to provide it) 

8:20-9:30 .. 2nd half (get cursed at and screamed at even worse, especially if the game is tight going down the stretch, run another mile)

9:30 -10:00 .. Leave the field with police as security, shower, change clothes, leave the school

(You've also spent $400 on equipment, officials pants, shirts, shoes, flags etc) 

Any idea what a high school profits on a Friday night game ??? These officials are the guys you gotta have to make that money ... They do it because they love it .. not for the money ... While you are watching your kids play, they are away from their families .. Pay em .. they earn it .. and from what they have to go thru, they deserve it !!!!

yeah seems criminal if you are having to drive 2 hours to officiate a game you aren't compensated for your time/costs.  Is that typical?  That officials are officiating that far from home?

1 hour ago, Navy21412 said:

yeah seems criminal if you are having to drive 2 hours to officiate a game you aren't compensated for your time/costs.  Is that typical?  That officials are officiating that far from home?

my dad umpired baseball for 50 years or so I think and is still on a high school ref crew keeping the clock.  he loves it for sure and often drives (they carpool) an hour or two.

9 hours ago, wholder said:

I have 4 friends that are high school officials. All 4 have consistently told me that paying more money is the WORST thing they could do. They all say that then you will have people out there just to get a paycheck, and that would just make things worse.

9 hours ago, wholder said:

The exaggeration on this post is at an all time high

3 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

what else is there to say?  wasn't much of a game.  : )

as any non bias observer like Boogerself would speculize....

post the blueblood alpha of D2-3, or one of the blueblood alphas........gainst the top or one of the tops of the food chain of D2-2.....and thats what it will look like nearly 100% of the contest......just as it would if the D2-2 Alpha posted gainst the D2-1 Alpha...

....and Coacht has knucklebrains that think there should only be 2 classes in the division of higher education

Booger just sayin :wink: