When will the Mavericks get respect?

olecotton

How are the Mavs on penalties?    A Greeneville/AC matchup could come down to something like who has the fewest yellow flags.     I saw Greeneville vs Elizabethton and they had absolutely no discipline, seems like that was not an isolated thing and they continue to rack up a lot of flags.    Other than that they looked good especially on defense.    Come playoff time you have to have that under control or it will come back to bite you.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

How are the Mavs on penalties?    A Greeneville/AC matchup could come down to something like who has the fewest yellow flags.     I saw Greeneville vs Elizabethton and they had absolutely no discipline, seems like that was not an isolated thing and they continue to rack up a lot of flags.    Other than that they looked good especially on defense.    Come playoff time you have to have that under control or it will come back to bite you.

From what I have seen, the Mavs look pretty darn good with penalties or lack of, especially compared to recent years. Pretty senior team and well disciplined. Have not seen any overcompensating this year and they have played some challenging teams. Nothing from recent memory stands out and I would be 1st to complain about refs. LoL Hard to not be biased.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, olecotton said:

When will the state polls and area media give the Mavericks the respect they deserve. DG and Coach Lambert have us rolling. Its time we get the respect we deserve. Nobody has it better and its true if you watch any of our games this season. 

The Mavericks will probably get the respect about the same time a west Tennessee team does when they win a gold ball. The sad part is that the respect will be short lived, and I can't say I disagree. Greenville and Elizabethton have done some amazing things over the past few years. And when/if a west Tenn. team or the Mavs win the gold, I'm sure there will be the "they won because we had injuries" or "we are down this year" or whatever. Don't get me wrong, (I've made the same excuses before) I respect those teams and believe they have set a standard. They deserve what they have, it just makes it hard for the teams that have to "get over the hump" to gain that type of respect. I wish the Mavs well!! Play your hearts out!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:58 AM, Chargercats said:

The Mavericks will probably get the respect about the same time a west Tennessee team does when they win a gold ball. The sad part is that the respect will be short lived, and I can't say I disagree. Greenville and Elizabethton have done some amazing things over the past few years. And when/if a west Tenn. team or the Mavs win the gold, I'm sure there will be the "they won because we had injuries" or "we are down this year" or whatever. Don't get me wrong, (I've made the same excuses before) I respect those teams and believe they have set a standard. They deserve what they have, it just makes it hard for the teams that have to "get over the hump" to gain that type of respect. I wish the Mavs well!! Play your hearts out!! 

I dare any West Tennessee team to come up to MavLand and play. They will waste a lot of money to just get trounced like a 1A/2A team would. 

17 minutes ago, olecotton said:

I dare any West Tennessee team to come up to MavLand and play. They will waste a lot of money to just get trounced like a 1A/2A team would. 

And you're the same dude crying because you're not getting the respect you think you deserve? Respect is a two way street hypocrite.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KEV-O said:

And you're the same dude crying because you're not getting the respect you think you deserve? Respect is a two way street hypocrite.

True, given or earned. I prefer earned. The Mavs have earned a lot of respect. Ranked the number 2 4A team the state. When they play whoever down the roads in the semis or finals I believe they will have finally earned the final piece of the puzzle they so want. Part of receiving respect is giving reciprocal respect to those who have won at the highest level of the game before you. 

Edited by noonesfool
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

True, given or earned. I prefer earned. 

And ultimately, who cares about "them giving us respect"?  I'm assuming the OP is referring to the state polls.  Again, who cares?  It's a a poll from sports writers who've only seen a handful of teams play.  The championship is decided in a tournament(playoffs), and there's no question about the champion.  It's simple.....win a title, get respect.  Polls haven't decided a champion since the college football went to the BCS championship in 1998.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, B-Ball Fan said:

And ultimately, who cares about "them giving us respect"?  I'm assuming the OP is referring to the state polls.  Again, who cares?  It's a a poll from sports writers who've only seen a handful of teams play.  The championship is decided in a tournament(playoffs), and there's no question about the champion.  It's simple.....win a title, get respect.  Polls haven't decided a champion since the college football went to the BCS championship in 1998.  

A lot of truth there B-Ball. Sorry I wasn’t finished with my post when you copied me. But I totally concur with you.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, olecotton said:

Hold up there olecotton! LOL Easy! No disrespect from this west Tennessee guy!! I'm kinda on the same page as you! It's just simple, win a gold ball and get respect. A west Tennessee team (3A & 4A) has not got over the hump in the last ever how many years to win a gold ball therefore the east Tennessee teams that have get the respect. The Mavs have not got over the Greenville/Elizabethton hump, lack of respect to the Mavs. I can't say that I wouldn't feel the same way if the shoe was on the other foot and we had the success that the east Tennessee teams do. I mean, there are teams around here that I do not have much respect for. That's just football. I, along with A LOT of high school football fans around here have a great deal of respect for football in Middle and east Tennessee! Great programs over there!!

Now, to your dare, I can promise you that the two teams that I am a huge fan of and know a lot about (Covington Chargers & Haywood Tomcats) ARE NOT scared of any team in the state. They have a ton of respect for you guys over there. 

(Being that the Mavs and Tomcats are 4A) Get trounced? Maybe, maybe not! But I promise you the Mavs will know that they just played the Tomcats!! 

These are the kind of fans and attitudes that make people hate you.  

I apologize on behalf of the rest of the mavs fanbase.  This entitled and petty mentality is a byproduct that has been cultivated and allowed to fester by our school admin. It's a combination of arrogance and entitlement that comes from insecurities.  If they win it all,  it won't be enough.  It will make it WORSE. There is a strong undercurrent of win at all cost, students welfare be darned at our school. By some, but not all.  To the causal fan it looks like passion for the sport but it's really insecurity. 

We'll get the respect we earn,  nothing more.  

2 hours ago, FormerMav said:

These are the kind of fans and attitudes that make people hate you.  

I apologize on behalf of the rest of the mavs fanbase.  This entitled and petty mentality is a byproduct that has been cultivated and allowed to fester by our school admin. It's a combination of arrogance and entitlement that comes from insecurities.  If they win it all,  it won't be enough.  It will make it WORSE. There is a strong undercurrent of win at all cost, students welfare be darned at our school. By some, but not all.  To the causal fan it looks like passion for the sport but it's really insecurity. 

We'll get the respect we earn,  nothing more.  

Well said.  I guarantee the Mavs have the respect from Betsy.  We remember those 2 years in a row.  Now a lot has happened since then but kudos to AC for despite not having a gold ball still setting a standard of Championship football.  I’ll say this though,  if it’s not the right standard from administration on down it will never work.