Knox West at Alcoa

WestHigh4Life

Just now, olecotton said:

Well why have they not moved up to challenge for the title then. Imagine winning state in 3A, 4A and eventually 5A how could you deny anything they do after that. 

Ok newbie on the boards, they were going to until a bunch of Knoxville teams tucked tail when the 4a numbers came out and jumped to 5a leaving Alcoa having to travel a far distant just for 4a home games (It would have been sending them to Chattanooga like AC had to do and playing in a crap region).  They would need to be classified by enrollment in 4a for them to be able to jump up to 5a.  I have never seen the TSSAA allow a school to jump two classes.

• Like 1

Just now, Swipes said:

Ok newbie on the boards, they were going to until a bunch of Knoxville teams tucked tail when the 4a numbers came out and jumped to 5a leaving Alcoa having to travel a far distant just for 4a home games (It would have been sending them to Chattanooga like AC had to do and playing in a crap region).  They would need to be classified by enrollment in 4a for them to be able to jump up to 5a.  I have never seen the TSSAA allow a school to jump two classes.

Understand now thank you for clearing it up I still think they should play up. You CAN'T DENY THAT.

1 minute ago, olecotton said:

I'm mistaken then my apologies. I do personally know popcorn sutton when he was still alive. 

Nice.  I was fortunate enough to get a taste a time or two of some his.  Yum.  There's a documentary on ole Popcorn called:  Pop Corn Sutton:    "Last run of Likker".  It's shot right before he died and shows him making his last run.  Pretty awesome stuff. 

Bow Yourn head when you say Pop Corn Sutton

3 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Nice.  I was fortunate enough to get a taste a time or two of some his.  Yum.  There's a documentary on ole Popcorn called:  Pop Corn Sutton:    "Last run of Likker".  It's shot right before he died and shows him making his last run.  Pretty awesome stuff. 

By god!!!

16 minutes ago, olecotton said:

Understand now thank you for clearing it up I still think they should play up. You CAN'T DENY THAT.

Point is, Every time they thought about moving up, everyone else near them moved up to avoid them.

Stephens: Alcoa considering move to Class 4A

Chris Thomas
Knoxville News Sentinel 0ct 21, 2016

Alcoa High School could make the jump to Class 4A football when the next four-year classification cycle begins in 2017-18, school athletic director Josh Stephens told the News Sentinel on Friday.

Schools in Tennessee have until Tuesday to move up in class. Alcoa is the reigning Class 3A state champion and has won 14 football championships overall.

“We are considering Class 4A,” Stephens said, “but the decision has not been made yet. We’re trying to get some help from the TSSAA to see what districts and classifications are going to look like.

“Bottom line is we need a big district. The fewer games we have to find, the better.”

Alcoa shuts down Red Bank, 28-0

Alcoa currently competes in Region 2-3A, a six-team region that includes Christian Academy of Knoxville. CAK will transition to Division II-AA next season, leaving one fewer team in the region moving forward. Other area teams slotted to join Class 3A next season include: Austin-East, Claiborne, Gatlinburg-Pittman, Kingston, Loudon, McMinn Central, Northview Academy, Pigeon Forge, Scott and Sweetwater.

The TSSAA revealed the blueprint for the 2017-2021 classification cycle on Tuesday.

“Take my opinion, I think the talent is about the same in 3A and 4A,” Stephens said. “It’s pretty even. Our thing is we need as many games as we can get, because our challenge is to get a 10-game schedule.

“We found out Thursday we are losing Heritage and William Blount for the upcoming schedule. They’re not going to play us. So the only (non-region) game we have right now is Maryville. We’d love to pick up a Fulton or an Oak Ridge. I don’t know if we’ll be able to work that out.”

Class 4A was slotted to include only nine area teams next season, including powerhouse Fulton, which won consecutive state titles from 2012-14. Catholic, reigning 4A state champion, has been slotted for Class 5A.

Chris Thomas covers high school sports. Follow him at twitter.com/christhomaskns

On 9/17/2022 at 6:40 PM, BCsportsfan said:

............glad this game is NOT in Knoxville again........

image.png.4509515d65954c82838ac313d83be200.png

Probably wouldn’t have made a difference considering the official tried giving Alcoa the game at the end. You know it’s an atrocious call when Austin Price gets fired up and says it was an absolute garbage call. Really though, great game to watch and I don’t expect anything less than the Tornadoes bouncing back and inevitably bringing home another gold ball from Chattanooga in December. 

3 hours ago, oridgecat said:

with J.P.........at his Maggie Valley/Black Rock site. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, SportsnetWriter2 said:

Probably wouldn’t have made a difference considering the official tried giving Alcoa the game at the end. You know it’s an atrocious call when Austin Price gets fired up and says it was an absolute garbage call. Really though, great game to watch and I don’t expect anything less than the Tornadoes bouncing back and inevitably bringing home another gold ball from Chattanooga in December. 

At least (We) Alcoa know it was a sketchy call Thursday Night and admit it .....apposed to clowns like you that "can not believe" that Alcoa got bad calls at West last year....

Best Clown Bike GIFs | Gfycat