Haywood @ Covington 10/21/22

CHARGERFAN

8 hours ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

What do the tomcat fans think about the Chargers? 

A fast, athletic team. Offensively, I'm sure what they do what works against their usual schedule, but just too predictable for a team equally athletic and fast like Haywood. In all honesty, the score really wasn't really indicative of how dominant Haywood was. At one point, it was 34-3 and the clock was running before Haywood took the foot off the gas. I think they can make a run in Class 3, but have very little chance unless they open it up and use their athletic advantage. But I do respect them for playing Haywood and hopefully this will continue, but I think the chances are slim and none. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, reddyrebel6 said:

A fast, athletic team. Offensively, I'm sure what they do what works against their usual schedule, but just too predictable for a team equally athletic and fast like Haywood. In all honesty, the score really wasn't really indicative of how dominant Haywood was. At one point, it was 34-3 and the clock was running before Haywood took the foot off the gas. I think they can make a run in Class 3, but have very little chance unless they open it up and use their athletic advantage. But I do respect them for playing Haywood and hopefully this will continue, but I think the chances are slim and none. 

Totally agree with the final score not reflecting how much we dominated that game. I think the refs had a big part to do with that. Also give Covington big props for playing us, I think we should have always kept playing them! We should play each other every year! Hope you are wrong about it ending 

Covington can beat teams with far less talent, but they simply cannot beat teams with equal or more talent than them. They run an offense with zero scheme and the coaching staff does very little to put the team in advantageous situations when playing better teams. It seems as if the game plan last night was to run the ball up the middle and then hopefully use that to open up other parts of the offense. A blind man could have seen that Covington was not going to run the ball up the middle consistently on Haywood.

The Covington coaching staff is fine but they are in over their heads when it comes to trying to out scheme a team better than them. They simply cannot do it. It’s been that way since Coach Wheeler left for East Tennessee. I’m not sure Covington has won a game where they were at a talent disadvantage since then. 

haywood is a great team, and there is no reason to hang your heard when losing to them, but I expect more out of Covington as an outsider and I’m sure their fans do as well. If 8/9 regular season wins is the goal, then you will get that ever year at Covington. If state championship appearances is the goal, good luck. That’s not happening. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Covington can beat teams with far less talent, but they simply cannot beat teams with equal or more talent than them. They run an offense with zero scheme and the coaching staff does very little to put the team in advantageous situations when playing better teams. It seems as if the game plan last night was to run the ball up the middle and then hopefully use that to open up other parts of the offense. A blind man could have seen that Covington was not going to run the ball up the middle consistently on Haywood.

The Covington coaching staff is fine but they are in over their heads when it comes to trying to out scheme a team better than them. They simply cannot do it. It’s been that way since Coach Wheeler left for East Tennessee. I’m not sure Covington has won a game where they were at a talent disadvantage since then. 

haywood is a great team, and there is no reason to hang your heard when losing to them, but I expect more out of Covington as an outsider and I’m sure their fans do as well. If 8/9 regular season wins is the goal, then you will get that ever year at Covington. If state championship appearances is the goal, good luck. That’s not happening. 

I agree with parts of this. However, the gap between Alcoa and other 3A teams is massive. Covington will walk to the semis this year and having a home game against an East Nashville more than likely could go either way in my opinion. I think silver balls are very attainable with this team. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

I agree with parts of this. However, the gap between Alcoa and other 3A teams is massive. Covington will walk to the semis this year and having a home game against an East Nashville more than likely could go either way in my opinion. I think silver balls are very attainable with this team. 

This brings up a question for myself. Will Alcoa play up to 4a next year?