D2 Divisions Next Year

ChuckDSanAntonio

The BA/Ensworth aspect of this is concerning....in the Kreager article a few weeks ago on this subject, one of the people who spoke to him is Ensworth Head David Bramer...he said "you can't have a division that is dependent upon smaller schools voluntarily playing up."  Then you go back to last time classifications were set, Cody White at BA said, "if we can't get any better scheduling help playing in D2-AAA, then next go round, we will just play where our numbers tell us to play."  Well, they didn't get any scheduling help in the intervening years.  The travel is bad enough as it is just for region games.  That's five games, and then you have to find five more games to fill out the schedule...which means even more travel, out of area, out of state if you can't get games against local teams.  Whatever happens, I hope that the Nashville area teams--CPA, BA, Ensworth, LA, JP2, FRHS, and MBA--all commit to playing each other.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on the TSSAA BOC cares at all what happens to the D2 schools.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

The BA/Ensworth aspect of this is concerning....in the Kreager article a few weeks ago on this subject, one of the people who spoke to him is Ensworth Head David Bramer...he said "you can't have a division that is dependent upon smaller schools voluntarily playing up."  Then you go back to last time classifications were set, Cody White at BA said, "if we can't get any better scheduling help playing in D2-AAA, then next go round, we will just play where our numbers tell us to play."  Well, they didn't get any scheduling help in the intervening years.  The travel is bad enough as it is just for region games.  That's five games, and then you have to find five more games to fill out the schedule...which means even more travel, out of area, out of state if you can't get games against local teams.  Whatever happens, I hope that the Nashville area teams--CPA, BA, Ensworth, LA, JP2, FRHS, and MBA--all commit to playing each other.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on the TSSAA BOC cares at all what happens to the D2 schools.  

The only thing that the TSSAA and Board of Control care about is money.  If all of the D2 schools were to withdraw from the TSSAA you would see the TSSAA crying over lost revenues.  The D2 schools do not need to worry about not being able to afford catastrophic insurance as several other states have more than one association.  Those other associations also are allowed to play regular season games against each other and play out of state opponents that are members of the National Federation.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

Word on the street is BA would have had an annual game with Lipscomb (and the inherent scheduling help), but BA would not commit to that.  Perhaps that will be solved with an expanded AAA division.

1 hour ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Word on the street is BA would have had an annual game with Lipscomb (and the inherent scheduling help), but BA would not commit to that.  Perhaps that will be solved with an expanded AAA division.

you'd think they would have taken that offer, given the history between the 2 schools going back to the 70s-80s, and what a huge crowd that would have been versus playing a team from GA and a team from TX

Some D2 schools need to leave comfort zone on scheduling and go challenge above them or in D2AAA some below them LA-CPA . BA vs CPA has been great games. LA-CPA playing Oakland had great excitement last season. Nashville Christian has played up, same four D2 schools last 2 years splitting with FRA, GP, BGA , sweeping DA. It makes for great rivalries in Midstate. 

The 3 divisions need to be looked at.  Makes sense to make the 3 divisions as even as possible.  BA, St. Benedict, Ensworth, and PJP II could move up as they always have, then Lipscomb, CPA, Webb-Knoxville, and CCS all move up as well, making AAA-16, AA-16, A-17.   No way a school's that have in the high 400's, low to mid 500'sin enrolment being in a division that has schools in the high 200's.  I think the cutoff numbers should be re-evaluated.  Here is what I would suggest.

AAA

St. Benedict at Auburndale 458 AAA
  Brentwood Academy 466 AAA
  Ensworth High School 469 AAA
  Christ Presbyterian Academy 473 AAA
  Lipscomb Academy 479 AAA
  Webb School of Knoxville 483 AAA
  Pope John Paul II Preparatory School 521 AAA
  Chattanooga Christian School 526 AAA
  Briarcrest Christian School 622 AAA
  Knoxville Catholic High School 675 AAA
  Baylor School 718 AAA
  Father Ryan High School 885 AAA
  Memphis University School 930 AAA
  Montgomery Bell Academy 1130 AAA
  McCallie School 1448 AAA
  Christian Brothers High School 1454 AAA

AA

Davidson Academy 272 AA
  Grace Christian Academy - Knoxville 288 AA
  University School of Jackson 292 AA
  Evangelical Christian School 308 AA
  The Webb School 309 AA
  St. George's Independent School 315 AA
  Goodpasture Christian School 325 AA
  Franklin Road Academy 363 AA
  Lakeway Christian Academy 364 AA
  Northpoint Christian School 370 AA
  Battle Ground Academy 373 AA
  Boyd Buchanan High School 384 AA
  Lausanne Collegiate School 384 AA
  Notre Dame High School 392 AA
  Christian Academy of Knoxville 410 AA
  Silverdale Baptist Academy 416

AA

A

Ezell-Harding Christian School 126 A
  Mt. Juliet Christian Academy 141 A
  The King's Academy 154 A
  Tipton-Rosemark Academy 172 A
  Fayette Academy 178 A
  Trinity Christian Academy 186 A
  Harding Academy 200 A
  Clarksville Academy 204 A
  Donelson Christian Academy 207 A
  Friendship Christian School 209 A
  Jackson Christian School 227 A
  First Assembly Christian School 235 A
  Middle Tennessee Christian School 255 A
  Providence Christian Academy 255 A
  Nashville Christian School 256 A
  Grace Christian Academy - Franklin 259 A
  Columbia Academy 265 A
Edited by CoachFreshwater
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachFreshwater said:

The 3 divisions need to be looked at.  Makes sense to make the 3 divisions as even as possible.  BA, St. Benedict, Ensworth, and PJP II could move up as they always have, then Lipscomb, CPA, Webb-Knoxville, and CCS all move up as well, making AAA-16, AA-16, A-17.   No way a school's that have in the high 400's, low to mid 500'sin enrolment being in a division that has schools in the high 200's.  I think the cutoff numbers should be re-evaluated.  Here is what I would suggest.

AAA

St. Benedict at Auburndale 458 AAA
  Brentwood Academy 466 AAA
  Ensworth High School 469 AAA
  Christ Presbyterian Academy 473 AAA
  Lipscomb Academy 479 AAA
  Webb School of Knoxville 483 AAA
  Pope John Paul II Preparatory School 521 AAA
  Chattanooga Christian School 526 AAA
  Briarcrest Christian School 622 AAA
  Knoxville Catholic High School 675 AAA
  Baylor School 718 AAA
  Father Ryan High School 885 AAA
  Memphis University School 930 AAA
  Montgomery Bell Academy 1130 AAA
  McCallie School 1448 AAA
  Christian Brothers High School 1454 AAA

AA

Davidson Academy 272 AA
  Grace Christian Academy - Knoxville 288 AA
  University School of Jackson 292 AA
  Evangelical Christian School 308 AA
  The Webb School 309 AA
  St. George's Independent School 315 AA
  Goodpasture Christian School 325 AA
  Franklin Road Academy 363 AA
  Lakeway Christian Academy 364 AA
  Northpoint Christian School 370 AA
  Battle Ground Academy 373 AA
  Boyd Buchanan High School 384 AA
  Lausanne Collegiate School 384 AA
  Notre Dame High School 392 AA
  Christian Academy of Knoxville 410 AA
  Silverdale Baptist Academy 416

AA

A

Ezell-Harding Christian School 126 A
  Mt. Juliet Christian Academy 141 A
  The King's Academy 154 A
  Tipton-Rosemark Academy 172 A
  Fayette Academy 178 A
  Trinity Christian Academy 186 A
  Harding Academy 200 A
  Clarksville Academy 204 A
  Donelson Christian Academy 207 A
  Friendship Christian School 209 A
  Jackson Christian School 227 A
  First Assembly Christian School 235 A
  Middle Tennessee Christian School 255 A
  Providence Christian Academy 255 A
  Nashville Christian School 256 A
  Grace Christian Academy - Franklin 259 A
  Columbia Academy 265 A

Looking at it from the other side, it's not really fair for those schools in the high 400's/low 500's range to play against schools who are twice (a couple almost triple) their size and who are pulling kids from Canada and other states.

MBA, McCallie, CBHS, MUS all have more boys in their school than some of the schools you lumped in have students.

If you want those schools to play up, you have to have the same opinion for the lower division as well. There should be two in that scenario. You can't care for the schools with the really low numbers, but not care about the schools with the middle of the road numbers.

And remember, the number was set by two schools who did not want to play up in the AAA division in the first place and had members of the BOC.

Edited by mofototo50
thought of another point

Private schools are different than public.  It is asinine to have only 8 schools in DII-AAA for football.  DII-A has 16 and AA has 24, while public has about 50 in every class. It is apples and oranges to talk about enrollment for public and private.  It is also much easier to win in DII due the lack of competing schools.  More kids does not always equate to better/more competitive sports teams, especially at the private school level.  

I mentioned this before, but the TSSAA sent a survey to all D2 schools asking for input in what factors, besides just enrollment, should factor into classification.  I.e., financial aid budget, historical roster size, football budget, historical success, etc.  the TSSAA had the results of this survey, and did nothing with the feedback/recommendations at this summer's meeting...so a team like BA, which has been one of the most dominant teams in the state for 40 years, can now just decide it doesn't want that level of competition anymore and play at AA.  Oh well, I guess we won't get to hear Cody White, after winning another state title (pretty sure only Maryville has won more than BA) declare "this is a win for the little guy!" anymore if they stay in AA.

1 hour ago, CoachFreshwater said:

But its ok for Dilfer and LA to pull kids from across the country for the first semester to play football, go back home after Christmas, and return the following year to play football again, and stay down?  

There has to be a better solution that what is being presented now...

Hey Fresh - you saying Lipscomb has kids come in for just a semester to play football?  Do you have any names or is that just hearsay / conjecture?  That would be quite the story for Kraeger to write.