MEMORABLE "4 SEED 1 SEED" UPSETS IN 1A AND 2A

GeneralForrest

13 hours ago, chs1984 said:

You’re correct. I remember that. And Whitwell fired their first year coach anyway. I guess they reasoned that if he had the talent to defeat a 10-0 team, he had no excuse for going 2-8?

That team had a bunch of pre-season all-state players on it, and Whiwuhl was coming off the Gold Ball win of 2018.  While they weren't nearly as good as the were the year before, they were supposed to be much better than 2 - 8 during the season.  Monterey made the quintessential mistake of overlooking them at home.  They hung around with Gordy at Gordy the following week.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

2018 Stratford 2-8 regular season record.

made it all the way to the semifinals and took Covington to the wire coming up short in that game I believe 14-20! Very impressive post season. Never heard of anything like it.

Y'all would make my short list too, but on the wrong end of a "shocker". Most of these look like upsets due to seeding, but betting odds would be close or maybe favor the lower seeds...in 2015 JCS went to Waverly and beat a very good Tiger team with a losing record. We played both teams that season, and y'all were probably three scores better than them.

17 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

2018 Stratford 2-8 regular season record.

made it all the way to the semifinals and took Covington to the wire coming up short in that game I believe 14-20! Very impressive post season. Never heard of anything like it.

Livingston Academy finished the regular season 5-5 and ended up winning it all that year.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Y'all would make my short list too, but on the wrong end of a "shocker". Most of these look like upsets due to seeding, but betting odds would be close or maybe favor the lower seeds...in 2015 JCS went to Waverly and beat a very good Tiger team with a losing record. We played both teams that season, and y'all were probably three scores better than them.

I wasn’t going to bring that up Trader lol and I was hoping nobody else would either :lol:

In 2005 East Robertson a 1 seed lost to 4 seed Richland 12-7. Ironically the Indians won the Region that was loaded with private schools ,  they defeated Goodpasture for the Region title who went on to the Championship losing to Alcoa ,if I remember correctly Patrick Willis ? was on that team and went on to sign with USC.

2 hours ago, LEON said:

In 2005 East Robertson a 1 seed lost to 4 seed Richland 12-7. Ironically the Indians won the Region that was loaded with private schools ,  they defeated Goodpasture for the Region title who went on to the Championship losing to Alcoa ,if I remember correctly Patrick Willis ? was on that team and went on to sign with USC.

Patric Willis was from Bruceton/Hollow Rock and played at Ole Miss... had to be someone else.

11 hours ago, HasbeenOrNeverwas said:

That 2014 Monterey team was out for blood, they had the bye the year before in ‘13 , ran for almost 400 yards and lost to a #6 seed Fayetteville city (1st year in existence) who also knocked off #3 defending champs Gordy in the first round on the road

edit: that was the first Fayetteville team to get their lunch money taken by south Pittsburg. 

I watched that 2014 Monterey come to life. They were down 19-0 at Clay County in their third game of the season, then finally figured out their running back was unstoppable. While their failures on two point attempts caused them to get upset that night in Celina 19-18, you could tell they had a force to be reckoned with. That win put Clay County in the playoffs at 4-6 in the last year of the "Z Plan" and gave them a chance to go upset South Pittsburg, which nearly happened.

10 hours ago, rlh said:

That team had a bunch of pre-season all-state players on it, and Whitwell was coming off the Gold Ball win of 2018.  While they weren't nearly as good as the were the year before, they were supposed to be much better than 2 - 8 during the season.  Monterey made the quintessential mistake of overlooking them at home.  They hung around with Gordy at Gordy the following week.

Absolutely a point to mention as well. A classic case of a good team not bringing their "A" game and the lower seed having a lot more potential than their record indicated. 

22 hours ago, Talmad2 said:

It says the most memoriable lol that was the most to me! Guess cause I’m from there! Either way it was very disappointing! My son was on the team that went to semi. 

Not saying it wasn't memorable, just saying there was a little more context to that game. Not many undefeated teams get rewarded by playing the defending state champions in the first round of the playoffs.