Watered down playoffs

92Dragon

14 hours ago, haweanbula said:

I loved the Z-Plan. The playoffs were more exciting and you didn't know who you were going to play. Really mixed things up. Right now by mid-season all the coaches know who they will probably play up to round 4 if they make it through. 

This is an excellent point. If I remember right, they even had radio shows to reveal the bracket Saturday morning after the last regular season Friday night. That was fun. I think there’s a way you could make the Z-Plan work again. 

8 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Off topic, but California doesn’t have state championships, as there would be too much travel involved. They have sectional, or area championships and call it a season. 

This is not correct. Every CIF Section champion qualifies for one of 15 state championship bowl games. There's even an open division that pairs the top two teams regardless of division. 

1 hour ago, abetee said:

This is not correct. Every CIF Section champion qualifies for one of 15 state championship bowl games. There's even an open division that pairs the top two teams regardless of division. 

You might be correct. My information is fairly old. Thanks for the update.

40 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I thought we were talking about the playoffs being watered down.  Then y'all shared some hairbrained idea For 15 championships like it's better.  Nah...  You joined the wrong thread.

Well, I replied to someone who brought up Cal. but then deleted my post when someone convinced me I was incorrect. Anyway, lets move on. My final thoughts on this subject. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, haweanbula said:

I remember my dad talking about only the 1st team from each district going to the playoffs back when he played and there was only 3 classifications. He talked about finishing 2nd in the district and not going to the playoffs on a 9-1 team. @cbg

Your Daddy is correct. A, AA, AAA were the only classes and you had to finish 1st in the district to make the playoffs.