Scheduling - local teams not playing one another

eers

11 hours ago, mondo44 said:

Agree with Eers on this. Don’t have a problem with the Sumner County schools. I respect the schedules that Gallatin and Beech played this year. I have a major problem with the Wilson County schools.  Coaches now are more concerned with “my record” and keeping their job above everything else. Most fanbases would rather you go 8-2 with a cream puff schedule than play a tough schedule and go 5-5. I guess gate doesn’t matter.  I can’t imagine not playing Beech and Gallatin. If our friends at the Sumner Co. BOE would move about 100 students from Gallatin to SC problem would be at least partially solved. 5 Sumner County schools in the same region. 

Mondo44 you definitely hit on a hot topic around here these days.........zoning!

This an interesting topic in general. I know in the past Chattanooga/Hamilton County public Schools have been encouraged to schedule other Hamilton County schools before going outside the area. Which is fine to contain costs, help gates, and build up rivals. However, I think it may have cost us scheduling Soddy Daisy since the dropped to 4A.We had play Soddy like 28 years in a row before this past scheduling cycle. 

I know Rhea has had to look to out of state in the last 5-10 years. To fill the schedule with games against Cathedral out of Indianapolis, Tuscola out of Western North Carolina and we were going to go to Corbin Ky before scheduling Alcoa. 

3 hours ago, Rhea Co. said:

This an interesting topic in general. I know in the past Chattanooga/Hamilton County public Schools have been encouraged to schedule other Hamilton County schools before going outside the area. Which is fine to contain costs, help gates, and build up rivals. However, I think it may have cost us scheduling Soddy Daisy since the dropped to 4A.We had play Soddy like 28 years in a row before this past scheduling cycle. 

I know Rhea has had to look to out of state in the last 5-10 years. To fill the schedule with games against Cathedral out of Indianapolis, Tuscola out of Western North Carolina and we were going to go to Corbin Ky before scheduling Alcoa. 

Tell them to call Knox West, they would love to play Rhea.  I'm sure they wouldn't be against dropping one of the following:  Murvil, Alcoa, Bearden or Farragut,  

Or tell them to call OR, who would be happy to drop Bearden, Farragut or Greeneville.  

Edited by oridgecat

45 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Tell them to call Knox West, they would love to play Rhea.  I'm sure they wouldn't be against dropping one of the following:  Murvil, Alcoa, Bearden or Farragut,  

Or tell them to call OR, who would be happy to drop Bearden, Farragut or Greeneville.  

I would love for Rhea to play Oak Ridge more regularly. For me personally I live in Oak Ridge, less than a mile from Blankenship so that would be great. 

I’d like to see Cleveland back on the schedule but I doubt that will happen anytime soon, after the fiasco there a few years back 

On 11/3/2022 at 3:03 PM, oridgecat said:

As i've seen people on here say lots of people scared to play Oak Ridge. 

Anderson County were looking at you. 

Finding it difficult to complete a schedule is a direct result of a few things:  When you have 9 classifications for high school football in Tennessee which has a population base of 6.7 million you are going to have problems.  Some schools are looking for the easiest opponent so that they don't have to work to get the win and the bad teams don't want to get killed by the good teams.  Public school teams often refuse to play the private schools and that adds to the problems.  While this is the only solution that would work long term it will never happen; place everyone back together and have 5 classifications for football, basketball and baseball.  All private schools that provide work study or financial aid must play in 4A or 5A.  This method would pair it down to where each district would have 7-9 teams and schools would only have to find 2 or 3 out of district teams to complete a schedule.  When a school only has 6 or 7 schools in their region, they must now find 4 or 5 out of region opponents to complete a schedule.  Again, this will never happen because people would cry due to the fact, they want to legislate a state championship for the school that they represent.  No classification should ever have less that 75 or 80 schools represented.

20 hours ago, cbg said:

Finding it difficult to complete a schedule is a direct result of a few things:  When you have 9 classifications for high school football in Tennessee which has a population base of 6.7 million you are going to have problems.  Some schools are looking for the easiest opponent so that they don't have to work to get the win and the bad teams don't want to get killed by the good teams.  Public school teams often refuse to play the private schools and that adds to the problems.  While this is the only solution that would work long term it will never happen; place everyone back together and have 5 classifications for football, basketball and baseball.  All private schools that provide work study or financial aid must play in 4A or 5A.  This method would pair it down to where each district would have 7-9 teams and schools would only have to find 2 or 3 out of district teams to complete a schedule.  When a school only has 6 or 7 schools in their region, they must now find 4 or 5 out of region opponents to complete a schedule.  Again, this will never happen because people would cry due to the fact, they want to legislate a state championship for the school that they represent.  No classification should ever have less that 75 or 80 schools represented.

CBG,

I realize this is your opinion, in my opinion this is a direct result of bad management by the school systems and the county on many levels.

Administration, People, and coaches are fussing about expenses when in fact they are a lot of the problem themselves. 
Ask yourself this question, why would a school or administration refuse to play a team in the next county? Example; Wilson and sumner

This a a direct result of bad management at the local level. 

On the other hand, someone who did it right for all, Montgomery county. 
Is it perfect? No! But it sure is a lot smarter.

CBG, I really disagree with that last post. 

From my understanding, SC is looking to schedule all Sumner County teams again. I guess that depends on how big their region in 4A will be. I've heard rumors that Liberty Creek has turned down every Sumner County teams offer to play them. Looks like they would rather have to travel then get pummeled by in county schools making kids not want to go there.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, mondo44 said:

Agree with Eers on this. Don’t have a problem with the Sumner County schools. I respect the schedules that Gallatin and Beech played this year. I have a major problem with the Wilson County schools.  Coaches now are more concerned with “my record” and keeping their job above everything else. Most fanbases would rather you go 8-2 with a cream puff schedule than play a tough schedule and go 5-5. I guess gate doesn’t matter.  I can’t imagine not playing Beech and Gallatin. If our friends at the Sumner Co. BOE would move about 100 students from Gallatin to SC problem would be at least partially solved. 5 Sumner County schools in the same region. 

You know you sound real bias here lol considering Hville had a historically bad season and all of the sudden it’s “people would rather be 8-2 and play a cream puff schedule” I guess I’d being saying the same thing if we went 4-6 and lost first round… but played a tough schedule… well we played Lebanon and White Co. who are in the 2nd round… not the strongest but not as weak as you claim. I don’t agree with scheduling Republic, but I’m not so sure that was On Tp. 

I find it interesting that Gallatin folks are claiming that Beach would not play them when the Bucs dropped from 5A  to 4A. I know for a fact that the request was made to play the game and Beech was told by the Gallatin side that they didn't want to play down. And it is funny, but at every BHS/GHS game I have ever attended, the Bucs always brought really good crowds. 

Personally, if scheduling allows, I think Beech, Hville, Gallatin, SC, and Portland should all play each other. LC may need another cycle to get its program going, but it would make good gates if they would schedule county teams.