Monterey travels to Hampton RD2

WILDCAT4LIFE

36 minutes ago, pujo said:

We had 3 kids who were barely went 200 pounds. We lost one last week that weighed about 230 but it was a big loss.  Last years team averaged around 300 pounds. What we got done was with heart, wish they would have fought to the end tonight, the one's that did will be winners for life, if you quit when it get tough, life will be tough. Winners never quit. I'm looking at a beat to death winner as we speak.

I got you brother. This is Not last year’s guys in the trenches. . They obviously over achieved considering the small linemen. I’m still amazed at how they stood toe to toe with a very good Boone team and outplayed them. Maybe that was their peak. Possible they have gone a little down hill since. . Regardless it was a good season instead of a great one. If you ultimately don’t have the size and athletes your heart will only carry you so far. 

9 hours ago, pujo said:

Our line was just so small this year and we can't throw the ball, Even Unaka  dwarf's our line. Big strong team that can put 11 in there and blitz um all makes it tough to run. This team actually overachieved. We played hard until the QB broke the long one, after that they were running through thin air. 

All said and done Congrats to a Bigger stronger team that wanted it more, was very good sports and played hard with class. Hope you guys get you another one next week. 

When we talked at the Cloudland game that was one of the 1st things I said to you was that the OL looked a lot smaller this year. Still had a great year with what you lost last year. Tell Levi to keep his head up I enjoyed watching him play since flag football. 

4 minutes ago, Appvol said:

When we talked at the Cloudland game that was one of the 1st things I said to you was that the OL looked a lot smaller this year. Still had a great year with what you lost last year. Tell Levi to keep his head up I enjoyed watching him play since flag football. 

Will do and Thanks.

That was a LLLLooooonnnnggggg trip up there, but so bitter sweet on the bus ride back.   After a 5 minute nap, you wake up and remember what you just accomplished....You're in a daze....One of the biggest wins in Monterey History.  In all honesty, we were probably better last year than this year,  the hunger after that defeat was still bitter in Monterey's mouth for one whole year.   Let me tell you about Monterey's boys,  just a bunch of Small-town kids who would go through a wall for their Coach.   HE believes in them!  Watch out Jamestown/Fentress County little ole Monterey is Coming for you,  that loss 7 or 8 weeks ago is still bitter too.

• Like 1

Let’s pause and give Hampton their due. Great Season. Ranked #1 most of the year. The losses to graduation from last year were just too much for this Jr Class to overcome. But they really overachieved. And it really showed in the Boone game. With Lunsford carrying the team with 50 carries and 200+yds. But that great O-Line play was sorely missed. 
Those kids have played with a small O-Line all season and competed. It caught up to them this week. Monterey was just bigger and more physical in the trenches. Period. Hampton left it all on the field for 3qtrs. But in the end didn’t have the size or athletes to finish. The Dogs have had a great season. Great Job young men. You have represented your school and your community and made them proud. A great season by any measure. Congrats 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, IPOPU2022 said:

Let’s pause and give Hampton their due. Great Season. Ranked #1 most of the year. The losses to graduation from last year were just too much for this Jr Class to overcome. But they really overachieved. And it really showed in the Boone game. With Lunsford carrying the team with 50 carries and 200+yds. But that great O-Line play was sorely missed. 
Those kids have played with a small O-Line all season and competed. It caught up to them this week. Monterey was just bigger and more physical in the trenches. Period. Hampton left it all on the field for 3qtrs. But in the end didn’t have the size or athletes to finish. The Dogs have had a great season. Great Job young men. You have represented your school and your community and made them proud. A great season by any measure. Congrats 

New poster here, watched for years but never said nothing. I’m just curious how you think the O line suffered when they are the exact reason Levi was ALLOWED the opportunity to have 50 carries and over 200 yards? Without that “small offensive line” NONE of that happens. And then fellars like y’all fail to give them the credit they rightly deserve. There’s boys on that team that drown in heart, passion and love for the game of football. There’s some that couldn’t care less. I want to make it clear that I want to take NOTHING from Levi! He is a stellar athlete and I believe an incredible young man. I’m proud to have him as a Bulldog. But the thing is, you can’t praise him and then turn around and say the O line was “sorely missed”. These statements make no sense. Hampton lost because of 3 main reasons:

1. They desperately need a leader on both sides of the ball. 

2. The coaches need to admit that they need to work on finding a kicker and PASSING THE BALL!

3. This may seem harsh, but they need a QB. They have no current pass game and it surely isn’t because the “small” O line. I watched every game and anybody with any football knowledge can see that the quarterback is scared and has no heart. 

I realize that Hampton has happily made their bread and butter in running the ball, but it’s time to update. You don’t have to abandon tradition. But you do have to evolve. 

It’s all going to have to begin with admitting your weakness. And in my opinion, it for sure isn’t the offensive line.

4 minutes ago, biteNObark said:

New poster here, watched for years but never said nothing. I’m just curious how you think the O line suffered when they are the exact reason Levi was ALLOWED the opportunity to have 50 carries and over 200 yards? Without that “small offensive line” NONE of that happens. And then fellars like y’all fail to give them the credit they rightly deserve. There’s boys on that team that drown in heart, passion and love for the game of football. There’s some that couldn’t care less. I want to make it clear that I want to take NOTHING from Levi! He is a stellar athlete and I believe an incredible young man. I’m proud to have him as a Bulldog. But the thing is, you can’t praise him and then turn around and say the O line was “sorely missed”. These statements make no sense. Hampton lost because of 3 main reasons:

2. The coaches need to admit that they need to work on finding a kicker and PASSING THE BALL!

3. This may seem harsh, but they need a QB. They have no current pass game and it surely isn’t because the “small” O line. I watched every game and anybody with any football knowledge can see that the quarterback is scared and has no heart. 

I realize that Hampton has happily made their bread and butter in running the ball, but it’s time to update. You don’t have to abandon tradition. But you do have to evolve. 

It’s all going to have to begin with admitting your weakness. And in my opinion, it for sure isn’t the offensive line.

I agree brother. No issues here. I just understand that their O-Line was undersized from last season. And lost a 230lb tackle before this game. And YES Hampton coaches need to find a Qb and not always depend on the run. Their line was a little bigger last season. But I’ll never question how well the kids they have played. Heck they nearly beat a 3rd round 5A Boone team basically running the ball. Not slighting the kids at all. They certainly played with heart and guts all year. 

4 hours ago, biteNObark said:

Just how many teams did we beat last season on the way to the state PASSING THE BALL or even kicking for that matter, We were just much bigger and more experienced in the line, Also had more kids to run the ball and the QB was crazy good running. Its definitely a luxury to have a good passing game but we've not had that since Coby Jones, even at that ,the better teams we beat with him at QB was running the ball, had 2 really good backs and he could run like a deer. If you think passing is the key ,ask Unaka how that panned out, they had a million yards passing and Hampton run all over them. Our line did the best they could do but we were dwarfed in about every game. Good think for Hampton is ,thats short lived as we will have one of the biggest lines in the area in about 2 years, will also be bigger starting next year. 300 pound days will be back soon. 

4 hours ago, IPOPU2022 said:

I agree brother. No issues here. I just understand that their O-Line was undersized from last season. And lost a 230lb tackle before this game. And YES Hampton coaches need to find a Qb and not always depend on the run. Their line was a little bigger last season. But I’ll never question how well the kids they have played. Heck they nearly beat a 3rd round 5A Boone team basically running the ball. Not slighting the kids at all. They certainly played with heart and guts all year. 

Had 4 lineman 300 pounds and 2 of um was over 350, yeah they was a little bigger when our biggest one this season was less than 300 . also had three others at around 260. That being said these lineman give it all they had, they deserve a lot of credit.