Will tssaa ever stop being crooks?

fooseball95

This is copy and pasted from Walker Valley head coach. 

Long post but worth the read imo…

Friday night Walker Valley Football played the Karns Beavers. It was a great crowd, incredible atmosphere. We made $10,000+. This week we will write a check to the TSSAA for $5,000 or so. That’s 50% of the gate. So thankful to raise all that for the TSSAA. Can’t wait to do it again Friday.

Walker Valley Football and Karns Football will then split the other $5,000. That’s $2,500 for us and $2,500 for them. I’m sure Karns had travel expenses that were about the same as ours this week. We will spend $3,200 of two buses and $800-$1,000 on food. That is a net -$1,500.

So we lose money by making the playoffs. Meanwhile, there were 110 games Friday. If $10,000 was the average gate last week then the TSSAA made over a half a million dollars in one night. Even if the average gate was $6,000 then they made well over a quarter of a million dollars.

By comparison (other states association cut)

Louisiana 10%
Georgia 13%
North Carolina 15%
South Carolina 20%
Alabama 24%
Florida 25%
Mississippi 30%

TSSAA takes more than twice as much vs most southeastern high school associations.

I could go on but what’s the point. It’s not going to change. But it needs to be pointed out. It needs to be questioned. We could us the extra income. In the end, I would rather lose all the money and continue to win and move to the next round. But we deserve more. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, fooseball95 said:

This is copy and pasted from Walker Valley head coach. 

Long post but worth the read imo…

Friday night Walker Valley Football played the Karns Beavers. It was a great crowd, incredible atmosphere. We made $10,000+. This week we will write a check to the TSSAA for $5,000 or so. That’s 50% of the gate. So thankful to raise all that for the TSSAA. Can’t wait to do it again Friday.

Walker Valley Football and Karns Football will then split the other $5,000. That’s $2,500 for us and $2,500 for them. I’m sure Karns had travel expenses that were about the same as ours this week. We will spend $3,200 of two buses and $800-$1,000 on food. That is a net -$1,500.

So we lose money by making the playoffs. Meanwhile, there were 110 games Friday. If $10,000 was the average gate last week then the TSSAA made over a half a million dollars in one night. Even if the average gate was $6,000 then they made well over a quarter of a million dollars.

By comparison (other states association cut)

Louisiana 10%
Georgia 13%
North Carolina 15%
South Carolina 20%
Alabama 24%
Florida 25%
Mississippi 30%

TSSAA takes more than twice as much vs most southeastern high school associations.

I could go on but what’s the point. It’s not going to change. But it needs to be pointed out. It needs to be questioned. We could us the extra income. In the end, I would rather lose all the money and continue to win and move to the next round. But we deserve more. 

if it aint going to change

why did you post this boy

due you en joy hereing youre self speak 

i phil like i need my five minutes of my lyfe i just waisted reading this 

39 minutes ago, Indians1989 said:

if it aint going to change

why did you post this boy

due you en joy hereing youre self speak 

i phil like i need my five minutes of my lyfe i just waisted reading this 

I don’t think it was a waste at all. He’s telling facts. They are crooks. There is No way TSSAA should be making more money than the 2 teams playing each game. Some guys from our local school told me they also won’t let them Broadcast their own teams games without paying $500 or maybe even $1000. Not really sure about the amount but charging a team any amount is being a crook. Not sure what can be done but I’m sure something can be if all schools stand together.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FOOTBALLROCKYTOP said:

I don’t think it was a waste at all. He’s telling facts. They are crooks. There is No way TSSAA should be making more money than the 2 teams playing each game. Some guys from our local school told me they also won’t let them Broadcast their own teams games without paying $500 or maybe even $1000. Not really sure about the amount but charging a team any amount is being a crook. Not sure what can be done but I’m sure something can be if all schools stand together.  

Yes, you are correct.  So with the Springfield vs Memphis Central game as a case in point, the TSSAA gets half the gate plus the money Social Dweebs paid to stream 

Edited by TheCommissioner

Football playing member schools could withdraw football teams from the TSSAA and instead play under the umbrella of a different governing body such as the Tennessee Football Coaches Association. Go back to playing the state championships at one of the host schools like they used to do. Do odd number classifications play west and even number classifications play east, then swap it every year.

• Like 3

The sad reality is that the TSSAA cleans up on the gate during football season, and like most schools that makes up about 90% of the operational budget for all the other sports as well. I don't care to watch cross country,  Soccer, baseball, softball, golf and so on, but those sports combined don't draw in nearly as much revenue as football. This is what keeps people paid and TSSAA a float year round. 

• Like 1

This is interesting topic and can be viewed many ways. 
This is the main source of income for TSSAA. That 50% number needs to be adjustable when schools are losing money.

In this scenario that is presented $3200 on busses is excessive. That tells me these were charter busses used for comfort and convenience. That is not there responsibility to cover excessive cost. Team meals are also not the responsibility of the TSSAA. 
both of these cost should be funded by the school, booster club, parents etc.

With that said, I totally understand the want for these added amenities. I would want it for my child also.

I also believe a school should never go in the hole for this either. 
This is where I draw the line to expenses, if your in the hole because of base expenses it should be taken out of TSSAA’s  50%.

At no time should they profit off of a schools loss.

My recommendation is to petition the TSSAA and let this be handled on a case by case basis.

I personally have an issue with the travel to Chattanooga, a city that is not centrally located and not very accessible to all.

just my .02

• Upvote 1

Always found it telling that Georgia,  taking 13%, could afford to rent The Georgia Dome and play all of its semifinals there, but the T$$AA couldn't do better than a run down FCS level school for its championship weekend. 

At least it's in a decent FCS facility now. 

And don't even get me started on some of the Spring Fling venues they play championship games in. 

But it still seems that priorities are misplaced.  Its supposed to be about the young folks participating. Sometimes I wonder. 

• Upvote 1