Will tssaa ever stop being crooks?

fooseball95

12 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Very much true, it was free, if someone would put a big tent up in a huge field somewhere and put some mats down and told the TSSAA they would pay them to have the tournament there, TSSAA would do it in a heartbeat. They could care less that the penultimate tournament for wrestling be held anywhere as long as they get paid or it’s free. We could just promote the big field and tent as a pro wrastlin event! I just end up going to Georgia to watch their state tourney. 

yes as far as MBA having the state tourney. It was a free venue also and as stated it allows our D2 wrestlers to wrestle National preps which wasn’t really allowed until last few years, it doesn’t really cost TSSAA money to have them move D2 up, especially with it being so few teams. 

I must admit that the facilities on the MBA campus are better than most elite small universities.  There are a few small tweaks that could be done to make the championship environment better (using a raised stage and spot light for the finals) but overall MBA knocked it out of the park with facilities.  The wrestlers and fans have a clean facility, warm up room  with mats and showers. The newly built athletics complex at MBA is much better than anything that I have seen in Tennessee other than The University of Tennessee.  Everyone in D2 should be ecstatic that the TSSAA allowed MBA to host the D2 state wrestling tournament.  

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:03 AM, ILB1999WHS said:

okay.  So you'd like more prize money?  you reckon that has anything to do with the five million more people they have in the state?

Thats what all of this is about keeping more money from the gates and on the back end to help fund your program and not be in the red. Ask any coach around would they love to end the year with a $30,000 check heck even a 10,000 check. 

8 minutes ago, troubledtruth said:

Thats what all of this is about keeping more money from the gates and on the back end to help fund your program and not be in the red. Ask any coach around would they love to end the year with a $30,000 check heck even a 10,000 check. 

That's only for the champs though...

3 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

That's only for the champs though...

No they are making at least 10,000-15,000 on the gate each round they are in the playoffs. My former school is 1A division 2 and they have already eclipsed a net gain of 10,000+ for the first round this year. After the splits with the other team and GHSA. Not to mention what will come from the concession stand.

32 minutes ago, troubledtruth said:

No they are making at least 10,000-15,000 on the gate each round they are in the playoffs. My former school is 1A division 2 and they have already eclipsed a net gain of 10,000+ for the first round this year. After the splits with the other team and GHSA. Not to mention what will come from the concession stand.

This is absolute speculation. Gate would depend on the school.  And the example that started this thread is not true either.

12 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

This is absolute speculation. Gate would depend on the school.  And the example that started this thread is not true either.

If I know football in Georgia when it comes to the playoffs. Those games are typically sold out every time. As for the team I speak of the game for tomorrow has already sold out so no it's not speculation. so for instance the stadium holds 4000. The tickets are 8 dollars a game for all classes and the price increases by the round by the way. so with that the gate has brought in 32000. They give the GHSA 14% and that leaves 27500 to split between the teams. take out the expenses that might occur and thats around 10000 profit. the second round increases to 10.00 for (2a-6a). Third round will be 12 dollars all classes. Then it increases to 15 dollars for the semi and 18 for the championship if its a pre sale and 20 if day of the game. 

19 hours ago, eers said:

I’m certainly not on staff at TSSAA and anyone that knows me knows that I’m not greedy. To say I don’t care about kids is laughable. I promise I do plenty to give back to kids.

All that said, I just think it’s ridiculous that we go through this nonsense multiple times per year, YET no one ever comes up with a viable alternative this is anything other than self serving or idiotic. We never have a solution that’s put forward that is anything other than “T$$AA need to make less” or “T$$AA needs to take less”. Less teams mean 16 teams per class don’t play in the playoffs. I’m not saying there needs to be 32 teams, however I’m not sure how that’s a solution to the perceived fiscal problem people whine about. Perhaps it is watered down a bit in the first road. Perhaps there are a lot of blowouts. It doesn’t mean much to you, but I’m sure there are some kids that are dang happy to play one more game of football. Then there’s the 2005 Livingston academy team that won a state championship after going 5-5 in the regular season.

If you’re going to complain about something, propose a solution, with real scenarios and some kind of fiscal solution. Otherwise it just comes across as whining and childish behavior. Kind of like trying to make personal attacks against someone you know absolutely nothing about. 

Fiscal solution - please note that in the 2021 filing, the TSSAA had a net income of over $600K. The executive compensation of $771K is more than double what a private company would have as a percentage of revenue.

1 hour ago, troubledtruth said:

If I know football in Georgia when it comes to the playoffs. Those games are typically sold out every time. As for the team I speak of the game for tomorrow has already sold out so no it's not speculation. so for instance the stadium holds 4000. The tickets are 8 dollars a game for all classes and the price increases by the round by the way. so with that the gate has brought in 32000. They give the GHSA 14% and that leaves 27500 to split between the teams. take out the expenses that might occur and thats around 10000 profit. the second round increases to 10.00 for (2a-6a). Third round will be 12 dollars all classes. Then it increases to 15 dollars for the semi and 18 for the championship if its a pre sale and 20 if day of the game. 

You MIGHT have a handful of sellouts in Tennesse. The majority are not. You assume too much

5 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

You MIGHT have a handful of sellouts in Tennesse. The majority are not. You assume too much

I didnt assume anything actually. My point is TSSAA should take less because teams are not selling out and they are going into the red more times than not. Actually TSSAA should study surrounding states and see what works for them and what doesn't work. 

• Like 2