Who is the next Powell head coach?

YoungBuck

35 minutes ago, YoungBuck said:

I am not sure about a QB at Central

I totally blew this and miss quoted!! I meant that I don't see Matt leaving Powell. Don't know anything about a young Central QB. You'd think that had Central had a QB good enough to start somewhere else, he would be playing now considering their situation. Sorry for misreading the previous quotes.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

I totally blew this and miss quoted!! I meant that I don't see Matt leaving Powell. Don't know anything about a young Central QB. You'd think that had Central had a QB good enough to start somewhere else, he would be playing now considering their situation. Sorry for misreading the previous quotes.

I didn't think I would ever see him leave the first time, so never say never.  

And on Webb, hearing they are going out of state for a prominent alum who is the current head coach at a similar private school.  And if he wants the job I don't see the trustees offering anybody else.  

4 hours ago, HTV said:

I didn't think I would ever see him leave the first time, so never say never.  

And on Webb, hearing they are going out of state for a prominent alum who is the current head coach at a similar private school.  And if he wants the job I don't see the trustees offering anybody else.  

I think the Trustees think the Lowe can foster a better more similar culture in the program than Chad can right now.  Sayre in Lexington is a good home for him where and alot of people already know that pulling a coach out of other surrounding states to come coach in TN isnt always the best choice.  I see why you think they hire Chad if he wants it but its a hire on name alone 

Edited by YoungBuck

1 hour ago, YoungBuck said:

I think the Trustees think the Lowe can foster a better more similar culture in the program than Chad can right now.  Sayre in Lexington is a good home for him where and alot of people already know that pulling a coach out of KY to come coach in TN isnt always the best choice.  I see why you think they hire Chad if he wants it but its a hire on name alone 

He's more than a name. He's a guy with a solid history, and his NFL experience and contacts more than offset a lack of coaching years experience.  He knows a little about the game. 

We'll find out soon. 

9 minutes ago, HTV said:

He's more than a name. He's a guy with a solid history, and his NFL experience and contacts more than offset a lack of coaching years experience.  He knows a little about the game. 

We'll find out soon. 

It will be interesting 

Edited by YoungBuck

48 minutes ago, HTV said:

We'll find out soon. 

Chad has done a good job at Sayre. He started that program from scratch. If he comes back to Knoxville that would be a big get for Webb. I’m not sure he will leave Sayre but you never know. His son will have a good shot at winning the starting QB job at Marshall next fall. 

Any public coach would be crazy to take that Catholic job because it's a no win situation controlled by people that can't understand that. If Lowe were to take that he would damage his reputation as a traveling man. If Jones took it he would especially after just one year at Bearden be back in the little leagues again. Nix to vested in Alcoa for retirement so count that out. Do the right thing and bring the man back that made it work before.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Never say never, but I just don't see this one. I know that we don't see coaches stay in one place for long in Knox County these days, but seeing Matt jump to Catholic would be a shock to me.

Just seems like the perfect storm for it to work though.  His prized recruiting class is graduating with not much more coming up, the administration tiring of fixing messes, and a couple jobs open that could buy him.

Not saying it happens, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wompuscat said:

Just seems like the perfect storm for it to work though.  His prized recruiting class is graduating with not much more coming up, the administration tiring of fixing messes, and a couple jobs open that could buy him.

Not saying it happens, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't.

I'll give you that, it's not that different from what happened back in 2011 when he jumped to TKA. That was a very talented group that graduated.

52 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'll give you that, it's not that different from what happened back in 2011 when he jumped to TKA. That was a very talented group that graduated.

Yes it was, but Derek Rang took the "leftovers" and darned near got them back to the Blue Cross Bowl the next season, losing to Columbia Central on the road in the semifinals.  I know you remember that well.  One of the coldest games I ever remember.  Thank goodness we were in a heated press box.