Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

1 minute ago, WaveGoodbye said:

Caine would win football games here.  I have no idea how well he would interact with the community, what his coaching staff would look like, or how long he would stay….  But he would win football games.   Another guy I would 100% go after aggressively is Derek Rang at Lewis County.   That dude wins everywhere he goes to, and he has some hardware to prove he can win the big game (Dresden state championship).  Nothing against Hohenwald, but surely Gallatin has to be a better job than Lewis County. 

Caine is a football coach and I don't know if he is the type of guy to go around be a big voice and face in the community. He will coach them hard and he will win ball games. Playing hard nosed smash mouth football. 

2 hours ago, kingofthenorth said:

Caine is a football coach and I don't know if he is the type of guy to go around be a big voice and face in the community. He will coach them hard and he will win ball games. Playing hard nosed smash mouth football. 

Then give me Caine.  I don't know a thing about him but if he is going to coach them hard, I will take him.  That's what we need. 

Edited by DwayneSherlin

55 minutes ago, WaveGoodbye said:

This is what I’ve been worried about.  There is a segment of the fanbase that wants a “Gallatin guy” just for the sake of them being a Gallatin guy.  

Why would that worry you? I don't think anybody wants a "Gallatin Guy", just for the sake of them being a "Gallatin Guy". The only "Gallatin Guys" I've heard mentioned are Inman, Alexander, Overton, and Darnell Bass. People are interested in them because they know what kind of coaches they are, and have proven they know what it takes to improve a program, and their teams tend to play with discipline and class. They would understand what the program means to the community, and that would bring some excitement to the fanbase. People believe they would embrace the history and tradition of the program. Let's face it, people are sick of the product that has been put on the field the last several years, as it as at an all-time low. I've also seen and heard some other names mentioned that would be great hires, that are not a "Gallatin Guy". I know there have been calls made to gauge interest. I've heard interviews will begin next week, but I'm not sure what the timeline is for making a decision. I just hope they take their time to make a good hire, whoever it is. Make no mistake, Gallatin is still a football town, and a competitive team would be huge for the school and community. The casual fans have quit showing up for games. They only ones in the stands now are player's families, students, faculty, and die-hard fans. That would change if you give people something to show up to see. 

11 minutes ago, JPlunkett77 said:

Why would that worry you? I don't think anybody wants a "Gallatin Guy", just for the sake of them being a "Gallatin Guy". The only "Gallatin Guys" I've heard mentioned are Inman, Alexander, Overton, and Darnell Bass. People are interested in them because they know what kind of coaches they are, and have proven they know what it takes to improve a program, and their teams tend to play with discipline and class. They would understand what the program means to the community, and that would bring some excitement to the fanbase. People believe they would embrace the history and tradition of the program. Let's face it, people are sick of the product that has been put on the field the last several years, as it as at an all-time low. I've also seen and heard some other names mentioned that would be great hires, that are not a "Gallatin Guy". I know there have been calls made to gauge interest. I've heard interviews will begin next week, but I'm not sure what the timeline is for making a decision. I just hope they take their time to make a good hire, whoever it is. Make no mistake, Gallatin is still a football town, and a competitive team would be huge for the school and community. The casual fans have quit showing up for games. They only ones in the stands now are player's families, students, faculty, and die-hard fans. That would change if you give people something to show up to see. 

In the 3 years prior to Inman being at Portland, they won 38% of their games.  They have won 43% since his hiring.   So yes, that’s improvement.  At Darnell Bass’s last head coaching stop, he went 2-28 over 3 years.  They averaged giving up 47 points per game on defense, and they scored 9 points per game on offense.  Nothing against Darnell, because he is an extremely nice guy.  Same goes for Inman.  I just don’t know that any of those guys will win enough games to get those casual fans back in the seats.   And you are correct about Gallatin still being a football town.  I’ve spoken to a couple coaches from across the state about this hire, and they still view Gallatin as a top tier, destination job.  I know not everyone will be happy with whoever the hire ends up being.  I just hope they win games and represent the community well. 

Edited by WaveGoodbye
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WaveGoodbye said:

In the 3 years prior to Inman being at Portland, they won 38% of their games.  They have won 43% since his hiring.   So yes, that’s improvement.  At Darnell Bass’s last head coaching stop, he went 2-28 over 3 years.  They averaged giving up 47 points per game on defense, and they scored 9 points per game on offense.  Nothing against Darnell, because he is an extremely nice guy.  Same goes for Inman.  I just don’t know that any of those guys will win enough games to get those casual fans back in the seats.   And you are correct about Gallatin still being a football town.  I’ve spoken to a couple coaches from across the state about this hire, and they still view Gallatin as a top tier, destination job.  I know not everyone will be happy with whoever the hire ends up being.  I just hope they win games and represent the community well. 

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't hire any of those guys, but they are the "Gallatin Guys" I've seen or heard mentioned. Personally, I think Wes would be a great hire. Brent Alexander ain't coming, too much bad blood there from stuff that's happened in the past. Great guy, good coach, and I think he's happy at SC. Overton has done wonders at Shafer, and will be a great high school coach one day. I just don't think they'll give him a shot, due to his limited body of work. His time is coming, though. I'm with you on Darnell, but I think he'd be a great guy to get on staff in some capacity. I'll support whoever they hire. Like many others, I just want to see a competitive, disciplined team that represents the school and community with some pride. I think the talent is there, and will flourish under the right coach. 

1 hour ago, JPlunkett77 said:

I have heard those exact names mentioned along with Dajuan Manning.  I think there is a segment of the fanbase that does want those guys and are pushing for those guys simply because they have Gallatin ties.  I could give you names of equal level of experience and winning and they would not garner the support that these names have just because they are NOT Gallatin guys.   Not one of those names stands out in terms of winning or program building type guy that is needed to lead this team forward.  The closest out of that list would be Alexander, and like you said he is happy where he is and he isn’t coming.  Now do I think anyone of those guys are fine on the staff, yes I do!  But not at the head coaching position!  I would love to have Darnell Bass on staff, I would love to have Inman on staff, I would love to have Matt Overton on staff, heck even though he had tried to sabotage at times players, I would take Dajuan on staff,  but we need a leader program builder with a “track record” of doing the right things.  No guessing and hoping, a solid coach who we know can lead, excite, motivate, and provide much needed discipline on this team and program going forward.  I don’t want to be going through this every 4 years because its not the right choice.  I agree take the time to learn about the candidate and vet the applicants.  

8 minutes ago, ForeverHoopsFan said:

Does the DC who left for Heritage return? I can't remember his name but I know the Wave defense was solid under him. 

Chad Broadrick.  I think he has a really good defensive mind, but his head coaching record hasn’t been too good.  13-28 in 4 years at East Robertson and 1-9 this past year at WH Heritage.