Officiating

powerp

18 hours ago, powerp said:

After watching many games this year and seeing all state championship games, it’s obvious referees struggled with consistency of basic rules this year and were flag happy in many games. With a lack of refs in the association, it won’t get better. So, what’s the answer for more consistency? Better training? More preseason scrimmages? Better pay for new officials?

Replay. It's that simple. This is big money these calls need to be fixed. 

18 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You say there's no product to sell, yet the state mandates that all kids are educated. While I agree with your assessment (officials need a raise), I disagree with most everything else. If you're a capitalist, you know the "law" of supply and demand. We're at a low point regarding job performance and availability, necessitating a salary increase... TSSAA will make it happen willfully, or they'll be forced to in order to continue their own revenue stream. Not trying to enter into a debate about when, but you can rest assured that they will not jeopardize their own existence, and no officials equals no TSSAA.

You really need to research your salary figures too...way off, but irrelevant in this discussion.

Hasn’t the “law of supply-and-demand” already started to kick in?  There weren’t enough officials to cover all the games if played on Fridays so they started moving games to Thursday.  Mount Juliet played three games on Thursday, I believe, this year 

2 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

Hasn’t the “law of supply-and-demand” already started to kick in?  There weren’t enough officials to cover all the games if played on Fridays so they started moving games to Thursday.  Mount Juliet played three games on Thursday, I believe, this year 

You'd think that would be the obvious "fix", however the TSSAA is notoriously tight fisted (other than admin. salaries) when it's time to pay up. Thursday games was just a weak attempt to resolve an issue without costing extra. Won't be long now...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, crow said:

Better pay is non-negotiable. This is the same issue that is facing a lot of industry but none more than the emergency services community right now. You may get quality people if you offer low pay but you will not keep them. There will always be quality people that want to do the job for the love or desire to just do the job be it EMS, Police, Firefighters, Rescue, officiating, social work, whatever. On the other side of that there will be just as many terrible one sign on as well. After enough time passes the quality people will leave faster than they can be replaced which leads to shortages. Shortages lead to hiring anyone “with a pulse and a license/certification” just to have enough people to get by. Just ask someone in emergency services if this is true. When this occurs the reputation of the industry suffers because one the word gets out how the pay isn’t worth the hassle and two people no longer consider being associated with that profession as being viewed in a good light so they’re reluctant. If there are to be high quality people in ambulances, fire trucks or official uniforms on any given night there must be two things. First and foremost are high standards and higher accountability based on performance. Second is satisfying compensation and appreciation for the time and effort they put into the job. The standards, accountability and appreciation are typically better tools for retention of quality individuals than the pay is in virtually every circumstance. Unfortunately both fixes rest squarely on the shoulders of the T$$AA and I have little confidence in them to do either. 

Precisely and exactly right!!! I have the utmost confidence that pay will increase for officials, because TSSAA can't exist without them... I also have as much confidence that accountability will be nonexistent for the exact same reason. 

1 minute ago, tradertwo said:

Precisely and exactly right!!! I have the utmost confidence that pay will increase for officials, because TSSAA can't exist without them... I also have as much confidence that accountability will be nonexistent for the exact same reason. 

A higher wage will keep older officials in the game longer.  Everyone I saw officiating this weekend had to be a minimum of 60.  The 6A game seemed to be called the best of the ones I watched.  A development/training program is desperately needed 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheCommissioner said:

A higher wage will keep older officials in the game longer.  Everyone I saw officiating this weekend had to be a minimum of 60.  The 6A game seemed to be called the best of the ones I watched.  A development/training program is desperately needed 

If a higher wage brings in some competent people who can/will get the calls right that have always been gotten right, I have no problem with 60 year old's calling games. Not like we're even asking for better... just be as proficient as the preceding generation.

26 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You'd think that would be the obvious "fix", however the TSSAA is notoriously tight fisted (other than admin. salaries) when it's time to pay up. Thursday games was just a weak attempt to resolve an issue without costing extra. Won't be long now...

And just for a heads up, Thursday night games will be here for a while, unless there is drastic change.

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

And just for a heads up, Thursday night games will be here for a while, unless there is drastic change.

I selfishly don't have a problem with Thursday night games... it just gives me the opportunity to see more football... and as long as they are not long distance to interfere with Friday academics for the kids.

1 hour ago, TheCommissioner said:

You are correct if it is only the pay that increases. If standards and accountability were also present along with true appreciation for the time and effort the officials put in were all there then the older individuals would be moved on into white hat and “supervisor” positions as new and quality personnel were brought in to replace them. If only the pay changes then you are likely 100% right and unfortunately I’m almost certain you’ll be right.