What's the difference between TMSAA & JCH State Tournaments?

EveryoneHatesCoffee

4 hours ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

Yeah, the legit post season is TMSSAA. 

JCH is when you don't wanna play the big boys. The quality of play is ridiculous at JCH, it's like watching playground ball and a thousand turnovers, I watched a girls team last year where for a solid half the only person dribbling or shooting on one side was a single player.  No passing, just dribble up, fire, and that team won it all lol. 

You obviously don’t know anything about the teams or talent that was at JCH this season. That’s not surprising reading the things you post. Huntingdon boys could play with any team here and KY. They proved that on the floor. They sure didn’t duck any of the “big boys”. They went looking for them. When you have individual kid’s scoring 25-30 points a game in 6min quarters, you don’t dodge other teams. You must work for TMSSAA and didn’t get a raise this year.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 9:10 AM, ghostofthepast2021 said:

Schools that are not in TSSAA and TMSSAA choose not to.  Mostly to not have to compete and not have to be held to standards such as certified refs, and having admin personnel on site.  It costs next to nothing.  Sounds like your school is just areducking and dodging.  And saying only big cities can is idiotic, Pickett and Clay is TSSAA, have you seen Pickett county or Clay lol.

Pickett plays TMSSAA?

Pickett opts out of playing in the TMSAA due to the rules that they cannot use 5th and 6th graders if they wanna play "middle school" only games, hurts any possible growth for their youngest players; also the fees is the main problem and restrictive schedules + licensed refs, etc pretty much all of the stuff listed above

1 hour ago, BobcatFan22 said:

Pickett opts out of playing in the TMSAA due to the rules that they cannot use 5th and 6th graders if they wanna play "middle school" only games, hurts any possible growth for their youngest players; also the fees is the main problem and restrictive schedules + licensed refs, etc pretty much all of the stuff listed above

I knew I thought saw them in JCH

4 hours ago, Waker said:

You obviously don’t know anything about the teams or talent that was at JCH this season. That’s not surprising reading the things you post. Huntingdon boys could play with any team here and KY. They proved that on the floor. They sure didn’t duck any of the “big boys”. They went looking for them. When you have individual kid’s scoring 25-30 points a game in 6min quarters, you don’t dodge other teams. You must work for TMSSAA and didn’t get a raise this year.

Ha, they wouldn't be playing right now.  Dream on. 

Nope, I watch jch, the quality is poor.  I mean geeze dude, 30-40 pt blowouts each round, sad..

7 hours ago, Waker said:

Highly doubt Huntingdon boys hang with Upperman. They have arguably one the best 8th graders in the state of Tn. He will be in the conversation for Mr Basketball for the next 4 years. This group has only lost one game in 3 years and that one was last years state championship game to a very good Gatlinburg-Pitman. This year they’re undefeated once again and in the state semi finals. They beat MLK out of Nashville that was previously undefeated and hadn’t had a team come within 26 points of them all year and Cobb dropped 36 or 38 on them. The game was never close. Last Saturday they beat the Legacy Middle School out of Thompson station another very good school. Game was over by halftime. Remember the name… Ty Cobb. Not knocking the young men from Huntindon, Upperman’s just on a different level. I’m a big proponent of JCH tournament. Lots of very good teams play in it and it’s a very good tournament. However they aren’t on the same level as TMSSAA. I know I’ve coached in both. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

40 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

Highly doubt Huntingdon boys hang with Upperman. They have arguably one the best 8th graders in the state of Tn. He will be in the conversation for Mr Basketball for the next 4 years. This group has only lost one game in 3 years and that one was last years state championship game to a very good Gatlinburg-Pitman. This year they’re undefeated once again and in the state semi finals. They beat MLK out of Nashville that was previously undefeated and hadn’t had a team come within 26 points of them all year and Cobb dropped 36 or 38 on them. The game was never close. Last Saturday they beat the Legacy Middle School out of Thompson station another very good school. Game was over by halftime. Remember the name… Ty Cobb. Not knocking the young men from Huntindon, Upperman’s just on a different level. I’m a big proponent of JCH tournament. Lots of very good teams play in it and it’s a very good tournament. However they aren’t on the same level as TMSSAA. I know I’ve coached in both. 

Can’t wait to see how Martin matches up with Upperman!

I can only speak on the girls side, but the JCH has definitely been as good or better the vast majority of years than the TMSAA tournament. It does ZERO good for small schools (specifically) to join TMSAA as the travel to other schools of similar size is not only impractical, but also doesn't make sense. Pickett for example (who is not in TMSAA and never has been) would drive past every school in Fentress, Overton, Putnam and Clay in order to go compete with other teams that would not be as good as the teams they drive past...just so they could play a "TMSAA" school. 

As far as the boys go, Algood and Upperman are the best two teams that I have seen this year and both are large middle schools compared to the vast majority of the schools around, especially in the UC! As good as Upperman is, Algood had them beat twice...phenomenal plays by Ty Cobb (who is the best player in the area athletically anyways) beat Algood both times at the very end. The other two were within 5 with multiple lead changes and all four of those games were as good as any middle school games that I have seen. 

55 minutes ago, Play 4 Fun said:

I can only speak on the girls side, but the JCH has definitely been as good or better the vast majority of years than the TMSAA tournament. It does ZERO good for small schools (specifically) to join TMSAA as the travel to other schools of similar size is not only impractical, but also doesn't make sense. Pickett for example (who is not in TMSAA and never has been) would drive past every school in Fentress, Overton, Putnam and Clay in order to go compete with other teams that would not be as good as the teams they drive past...just so they could play a "TMSAA" school. 

As far as the boys go, Algood and Upperman are the best two teams that I have seen this year and both are large middle schools compared to the vast majority of the schools around, especially in the UC! As good as Upperman is, Algood had them beat twice...phenomenal plays by Ty Cobb (who is the best player in the area athletically anyways) beat Algood both times at the very end. The other two were within 5 with multiple lead changes and all four of those games were as good as any middle school games that I have seen. 

I was at the games between Algood and Upperman and they were very good games !  Now having said that Algood never had them beat , but they were in every game and it was close and they led by a point or two, but it was never like Upperman was down 20 points to Algood. However, I will admit Algood was the second best team in middle school that I have seen this season. As far as the Cobb kid goes he’s the BEST player hands down and it’s not close. I have coached and watched a lot of basketball in my years. This kid is different. Tyreke Key was different and so is Cobb. I see a lot of similarities between the two players they both made and make their teams better.  Key now starts on the #2 ranked UT Vols men’s team as you know. If this young man continues to work and improve he will be major D1 as well. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

17 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

They lost to New Center Elementary. New Center is a feeder for Sevier County High School.  2 of the players have started for Sevier County this year. New Center lost in the semi-finals of the sectional this year but their 3 year run was 79-6  and will send 8 players to Sevier County over that period.

1 minute ago, lefty32 said:

They lost to New Center Elementary. New Center is a feeder for Sevier County High School.  2 of the players have started for Sevier County this year. New Center lost in the semi-finals of the sectional this year but their 3 year run was 79-6  and will send 8 players to Sevier County over that period.

We I was close. Same County lol