What's the difference between TMSAA & JCH State Tournaments?

EveryoneHatesCoffee

6 hours ago, Play 4 Fun said:

I can only speak on the girls side, but the JCH has definitely been as good or better the vast majority of years than the TMSAA tournament. It does ZERO good for small schools (specifically) to join TMSAA as the travel to other schools of similar size is not only impractical, but also doesn't make sense. Pickett for example (who is not in TMSAA and never has been) would drive past every school in Fentress, Overton, Putnam and Clay in order to go compete with other teams that would not be as good as the teams they drive past...just so they could play a "TMSAA" school. 

As far as the boys go, Algood and Upperman are the best two teams that I have seen this year and both are large middle schools compared to the vast majority of the schools around, especially in the UC! As good as Upperman is, Algood had them beat twice...phenomenal plays by Ty Cobb (who is the best player in the area athletically anyways) beat Algood both times at the very end. The other two were within 5 with multiple lead changes and all four of those games were as good as any middle school games that I have seen. 

No, the girls side has not been better, you are being ridiculous.  Did you watch the tourneys for the girls the past 2 years? 

Ghost JCH was started in 1974 by Central Middle (Murfreesboro) coach,  you guessed it, James C Haile, because there was no such tournament for middle school teams. Due to health Coach Haile had to retire and the admin at Central didn’t want to run the tourney. MTCS took over in 1984, named it after Coach Haile, and now it is the largest, and honestly, best run tournament in the state. Having over 100 teams and a waiting list for the last 10 years, means JCH is doing something right.

I did a quick search and found an article last year stating it was “the 4th annual TMSSA tournament”.  Obviously, the TSSAA didn’t put much emphasis on middle school until recently. Teams just played a season and its was over or play County Championships I guess. That may tell you why all these “small town” schools keep coming back to JCH, and some have been coming for over 35 years. 

I think the tradition and all is great. It is very admirable that Mr. Haile thought enough of the middle school level to start such a storied tournament. With that being said though, it seems as though the competition has dwindled since the Tmssaa has started its state tournament. Kudos to the teams that still play in the JCH but the competition is in the Tmssaa tourney now a days. I hope they continue the JCH strictly on the history and not everyone will join Tmssaa, but at the end of the day the competition is moving to the new state tournament. Plus you get a ring when you win the Tmssaa tourney, Just like you would if you win the high school state championship. So mentally kids know what it feels like at the next level to win a state championship. Gives the kids some motivation to go compete at a high level!! Have they kept records on the JCH through the years? Who's won and competed in them. Where could one find that info?

24 minutes ago, Fawhy said:

I think the tradition and all is great. It is very admirable that Mr. Haile thought enough of the middle school level to start such a storied tournament. With that being said though, it seems as though the competition has dwindled since the Tmssaa has started its state tournament. Kudos to the teams that still play in the JCH but the competition is in the Tmssaa tourney now a days. I hope they continue the JCH strictly on the history and not everyone will join Tmssaa, but at the end of the day the competition is moving to the new state tournament. Plus you get a ring when you win the Tmssaa tourney, Just like you would if you win the high school state championship. So mentally kids know what it feels like at the next level to win a state championship. Gives the kids some motivation to go compete at a high level!! Have they kept records on the JCH through the years? Who's won and competed in them. Where could one find that info?

https://sites.google.com/a/mtcscougars.org/jamesc/Home

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:19 PM, ghostofthepast2021 said:

There is not a single game in JCH in the past 3 years that has come anywhere close to the games Upperman MS had last week.  So you guys can keep on with this nonsense, but anyone who has seen both, knows. 

Stick to the facts if you want to be taken serious...Defeated middle won the championship by one point on a reverse layup (on the girls off hand side) at the buzzer. Games don't get any better at any level.

10 hours ago, ghostofthepast2021 said:

This Upperman would beat any Haile Boys champ by 50.  It's just another level.

This same group at Martin and the same group at Huntingdon have played each other for years. Trading games back and forth. You continue to be wrong. Congrats to Upperman. And congrats to Martin on getting to play in the greatest middle school basketball tournament in the history of all middle school basketball tournaments. Ever!

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Stick to the facts if you want to be taken serious...Defeated middle won the championship by one point on a reverse layup (on the girls off hand side) at the buzzer. Games don't get any better at any level.

That sounds like it was a great game! Upperman play Sweetwater today for the championship. I will give my thoughts on this tournament after it’s over, but I have a feeling that there were two really good teams that played each other last night.