Traditional state champion predictions

Wrestlingfan22

2 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Desselle is definitely in The OW hunt. I think it’s going to be a great state tournament this year. What I enjoy is when good wrestlers from the middle of the pack knock off a supposed placer from one of the top 5 schools  and how it impacts the placement of teams.

having said that, i would love to see a list of dark horses that could make waves and be that person to knock off some favorites. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, werazzlin said:

Brenot at 182!  He is the clear favorite. i honestly think Brenot could win 170. 182. or 195

I agree. i edited the original post to add Brenot a little bit ago.  I’m not even sure how you were able to quote the original lol

Edited by Bump11

4 minutes ago, werazzlin said:

having said that, i would love to see a list of dark horses that could make waves and be that person to knock off some favorites. 

What’s your criteria for “dark horse”? someone who isn’t ranked? someone who’s never been ranked? or just someone outside of the group of favorites?

1 minute ago, Bump11 said:

What’s your criteria for “dark horse”? someone who isn’t ranked? someone who’s never been ranked? or just someone outside of the group of favorites?

Not ranked or not a previous medal placer. Being a region champ could easily be irrelevant or being 3rd in couple of the regions could mean you have a good shot at the podium.

8 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Maybe Smalling from Science Hill. I forget his weight, but it’s light.

Smalling will definitely shock some people (he’s 120) I also think his cross town rival Kennedy Waterson could sneak up on a few kids. 

Edited by Pride3

12 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Maybe Smalling from Science Hill. I forget his weight, but it’s light.

Chase is 120. He’s a stud and getting better and better. Kennedy is also tough and could surprise some people. Very quick and improving drastically. 

Edited by LocalHero

Once we know who all qualifies for single A in a few weeks, I will post my top 6 in each weight but to create some discussion, here are my early picks in each weight...

106 - Cole Dyer (Soddy) over Christopher Lagorio (Hixson) ... I would not be surprised to see Comes from Seymour sneak into the finals, but Dyer is the man to beat.

113 - JoJo Uhorchuk (Signal) over Tyson Flavin (Soddy)

120 - Carson Dupill (Greeneville) over Charles Duncan (Soddy)

126 - Ethan Uhorchuk (Signal) over Andy Cable (Pigeon Forge) ... this should be an awesome match!

132 - Caleb Uhorchuk (Signal) over Sam Hutchisen (Halls)

138 - Harlen Hunley (Halls) over Brody McLemore (Eagleville)

145 - Hunter Mason (Greeneville) over Sasha Warner (Polk)

152 - Colin Dupill (Greeneville) over Jackson Davis (Signal)

160 - Wyatt Howard (Pigeon Forge) over Thomas Magness (Harpeth) ... expect Turner from Soddy to be right there. He almost beat Howard two weeks ago. This should be a fun weight to follow!

170 - Jake Stacey (Green Hill) over the field

182 - Logan Heckert (Sycamore) over Gabe Ferrell (David Crockett)

195 - Kendrick Curtis (Fairview) over Rob Atwood (Trousdale) in an upset of the match Atwood won earlier this year 4-2. Lowery from Greeneville will be right there in the mix as well.

220 - Zac Crisman (Greeneville) over the field

285 - Caleb Wolfe (Pigeon Forge) over Ronan O'Connell (Page)

Finalists

Greeneville - 4

Signal - 4

Soddy - 3

Pigeon Forge - 2

Halls - 2

Edited by cowcatcher

Just now, noonesfool said:

By the way your son is one heck of a stud. My pick and preferred pick as well for St. champ.

Thank you. Still have to go out and wrestle!!! Chase is a stud so Mason has his hands full. They’ve wrestled quite a few times and one thing about Cleveland is they always have their kids ready. I’m sure Knox and Bosken has a game plan. We’ve been watching film too. Will be a good match. Not sure in that bracket there will be any other good matches. However, know what kids will drop. Not out of realm of possibility Bryson could drop back down. Rumor has it Russel Ford has something for Mason and may be dropping too. So we will see. I’ll never bet against Mason but hardly a lock. We’re just going to be humble and Mason will go out and wrestle his match. 

35 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

unranked or someone out of conversations. i understand it will be easier to do this once sectionals are set after this weekend. 

a weight class list of dark horse would be awesome.