Oliver Springs

On 7/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, crow said:

We had 26 players of our now 50 man roster that night due to many starters playing other sports and still tied 2 all. I’m certain Oz had several players out as well. We won’t be good and Oz will likely beat us in the regular season but they’re not world beaters either. They should compete for their region however. 

I don't think they will have 50 kids this year.

16 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

I don't think they will have 50 kids this year.

Again I’m shocked you disagree with me :roflol:Oneida has 50 +\- a couple on any given day that were reporting after baseball ended and when last years 8th graders came in. At least according to one of the coaches, I have not performed a head count. Maybe you have better intel though. Personally I doubt if a 150 man roster would change the outcome this season. Granted there may be several not stick with it after the dead period. At any rate the best 11 - 15 matter the most. We’ll see how much they matter but I digress. Regardless this is an OZ topic and while they will be improved and likely better than your apparent 2A measuring stick Oneida and I expect them to be in the hunt for the region I don’t think this will be their year to represent the East or even contend for it. Maybe in a year or two if they continue to develop but we shall see. 

Edited by crow

On 7/7/2023 at 8:07 PM, crow said:

Again I’m shocked you disagree with me :roflol:Oneida has 50 +\- a couple on any given day that were reporting after baseball ended and when last years 8th graders came in. At least according to one of the coaches, I have not performed a head count. Maybe you have better intel though. Personally I doubt if a 150 man roster would change the outcome this season. Granted there may be several not stick with it after the dead period. At any rate the best 11 - 15 matter the most. We’ll see how much they matter but I digress. Regardless this is an OZ topic and while they will be improved and likely better than your apparent 2A measuring stick Oneida and I expect them to be in the hunt for the region I don’t think this will be their year to represent the East or even contend for it. Maybe in a year or two if they continue to develop but we shall see. 

They struggled in the passing game, athletic QB but not much thru the air. But they were big and made Oneida look soft. I doubt they will be competitive with Coalfield. As far as the 50 man roster, it will be close probably but more likely closer to 45 with only around 18 total in the junior and senior classes combined. The upcoming freshman class will probably determine if they reach 50 based on who quits after they start hitting. But it doesn't look like any of the freshman will be contributors this year based on early reports. Lots of kids but I've heard they are more likely a year or two away from contributing. I think overall they will have about 10 kids that will be playing both ways. Very thin. Razor thin. 

11 hours ago, TSSAAfootball said:

They struggled in the passing game, athletic QB but not much thru the air. But they were big and made Oneida look soft. I doubt they will be competitive with Coalfield. As far as the 50 man roster, it will be close probably but more likely closer to 45 with only around 18 total in the junior and senior classes combined. The upcoming freshman class will probably determine if they reach 50 based on who quits after they start hitting. But it doesn't look like any of the freshman will be contributors this year based on early reports. Lots of kids but I've heard they are more likely a year or two away from contributing. I think overall they will have about 10 kids that will be playing both ways. Very thin. Razor thin. 

We agree. Oz is better and could compete for the region but doubt they get by coalfield. I still think Rockwood will end up first or second in region with coalfield the other. As for Oneida, this season is a throw away IMO. 

10 hours ago, crow said:

We agree. Oz is better and could compete for the region but doubt they get by coalfield. I still think Rockwood will end up first or second in region with coalfield the other. As for Oneida, this season is a throw away IMO. 

Honestly Rockwood is a toss up. It all depends on what the freshmen incoming can do. I heard they got some new transfers in as well. I was told Oakdales RB was transferring to Rockwood. We should know more about them when they travel to Oneida. 

55 minutes ago, Thebalduglyduck said:

Honestly Rockwood is a toss up. It all depends on what the freshmen incoming can do. I heard they got some new transfers in as well. I was told Oakdales RB was transferring to Rockwood. We should know more about them when they travel to Oneida. 

I don’t expect much of a game to be honest. I figure to see last year’s second half but for all 4 this time around. My RW pick is a little bit educated guess and a lot gut feeling. Coalfield won’t roll over. Honestly GB may be the sleeper in the region. A lot of rumbling over the new hire but that team has talent. If the new guy can coach they’re likely to surprise a lot of folks. 

On 7/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, crow said:

You know the sad part about all this? There is talent on that team. It just seems it doesn’t get utilized or the players just do not want to put the work in for different unknown reasons. I’m sure you can name a reason or 2.

2 hours ago, Spike016 said:

You know the sad part about all this? There is talent on that team. It just seems it doesn’t get utilized or the players just do not want to put the work in for different unknown reasons. I’m sure you can name a reason or 2.

I think 95% of their talent peaks in middle school because they are a year older than everyone else. 

1 hour ago, TSSAAfootball said:

I think 95% of their talent peaks in middle school because they are a year older than everyone else. 

Every school in the state has the same rule. 15 after august 1st and you’re good to go. 19 after the same date for high school. Seems like if that was the case the extra year would also translate to high school though. Agreed the physical gains from 13 to 14 or 14 to 15 are sometimes significant so is 17 to 18 or 18 to 19. Obviously any advantage doesn’t translate to high school. 

Edited by crow

3 hours ago, Spike016 said:

Yeah I could come up with a reason or two. Just patiently waiting for better times. They’ll come, maybe. Hopefully this fall but if not then we’ll just keep waiting. Been doing it for a decade or so now. 

9 minutes ago, crow said:

Every school in the state has the same rule. 15 before august 1st and you’re good to go. 19 by the same date for high school. Seems like if that was the case the extra year would also translate to high school though. Agreed the physical gains from 13 to 14 or 14 to 15 are sometimes significant so is 17 to 18 or 18 to 19. Obviously any advantage doesn’t translate to high school. 

I think you are forgetting Oneida had the Kinderstart program though. For about 15 years, 95% of the kids (especially the boys) at Oneida started a year later than normal and basically had 2 years of kindergarten. They were pushed to do so because they received a grant from the state for the program. Why do you think the middle school teams are so good? An extra of year of puberty at that age is like having one team on steroids, lol. This is only true at Oneida and not true of the County, so when a kid transfers to Oneida they are always a year younger than everyone else in their class. 

Coincidentally that program was ended last year. Created a huge influx of kids at Oneida Elementary in one year so now they have issues with classroom size in the elementary. It's a mess. I have a relative who works in the elementary school and she said the admins are freaking out. 

No I haven’t forgotten that but my point is if the extra year is the secret sauce then it’s lost on the high school results. The same 8th grader that’s a year older than other schools is a year older his freshman, sophomore, junior and senior year yet the age advantage doesn’t seem to translate after middle school. We all know the advantages of a year of physical and mental maturity brings even throughout the college years with most male athletes physically peaking at 24-26 years old. Also the kinderstart program was available to all schools, if the county or any other system chose not to participate then that was just that, their choice. Could it be an advantage in certain circumstances? Of course but the fact remains no child is required to begin school (kindergarten) until age 6 making them roughly 14 in 8th grade. TMSAA does not allow anyone turning 15 prior to august 1 to play so I really have never understood the “advantage” of the kinderstart system some comment on when any students parents can opt to start their child in kindergarten at basically the same age if middle school athletics are their primary concern. 

As for the influx I’m also aware. I have family in the system as well. 

Edited by crow