Halls (West TN) hires a new coach

GrumpyBulldog

On 4/19/2023 at 7:59 AM, YBsostupid said:

Really.  You think that's all it takes.  The "culture"?  That's one of the most overused words of the 21st century.  I mean, if I hear the word "culture" one more time I might lose my fkn mind.  "Care about the program".  WTH does that mean? So, did the last 10 coaches there not "care about the program".  Did winning or losing not matter to them?  If not, that's something that a halfway decent principal and/or A.D. should pick up on bout halfway through his first year.  So, that would be negligence on their part to wait until the guy drinks three six packs of beer and then crashes out onto the street in his truck and refuses to pull over for a few miles and then offer the cop $8,000... and Then fire him.   It's okay not to care about the program, but, if you get so drunk you can't fish and then try to drive your truck through town, and, most importantly, you get caught by the law, then, boy, you're done coaching here!  And if you offer the cop a bribe then, boy, you ain't gonna be teaching here either.  Wow, that's leadership right there now.

Hopefully the new guy excels at teaching blocking, tackling, game preparation, and team building.  I wish him the best.  

I will agree that "culture" is overrated, but is an important element. Are there clear expectations for the program? Do the players know how hard you have to work to be successful? You point out the incident with the former coach, but you doubt the importance of "Culture?"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/21/2023 at 11:51 AM, YBsostupid said:

I have never met coach Stigall.  I hope he is finally the hire that gets things on track there.  I know the talent is in the hallways.  I know that they should not be playing at 3-5 away game homecoming each year.  They have hired one idiot after another and if the hire is well connected in the town he can lose indefinitely, just stays as long as they want.  If they are not from there they get 3-5 years.  As to your question, Ripley, where Stigall went with the head coach there a few years back is one example.  There was a significant and obvious improvement in Ripley with the very first year.  I do not imagine Ripley is the visiting team for many school's homecomings anymore.  There was a time frame, once upon a time, a time frame that lasted for about 20 years, that nobody even considered scheduling Halls for their homecoming game.  I would like to see that happen again for another 20 year stretch.

So your whole post in condensed form is that you recognize that the culture has been bad at Halls, and you hope that Stigall is the guy to change it back to what it once was?

I thought that Ripley was doing better the last few years.  I just looked through their last 4 years of Ws and Ls and the scores.  I stand corrected.  The pain will continue for HHS.  There's absolutely nothing in the new hire's performance at Ripley that makes sense with this hire.  Nothing.  The school board is ultimately to blame for this insanity.  The voters of the county are ultimately responsible for the school board.  More and more Halls players with college scholarships in mind and needed in order to go to college, should enroll at Dyersburg.  

• 6 months later...
On 4/24/2023 at 8:24 PM, YBsostupid said:

I thought that Ripley was doing better the last few years.  I just looked through their last 4 years of Ws and Ls and the scores.  I stand corrected.  The pain will continue for HHS.  There's absolutely nothing in the new hire's performance at Ripley that makes sense with this hire.  Nothing.  The school board is ultimately to blame for this insanity.  The voters of the county are ultimately responsible for the school board.  More and more Halls players with college scholarships in mind and needed in order to go to college, should enroll at Dyersburg.  

Comment turned out to be truthful 

19 hours ago, WestTnFootball13 said:

Comment turned out to be truthful 

Thank you.  Sadly, the results have been even worse than I expected.  This guy did not inherit a sh*t show.  He inherited a team that got wins last year, against quality programs, and had a lot coming back.  Still yet they are much worse this year.  In fact, it is a total unmitigated disaster.  Whoever hired this guy is an idiot.  Make hires like that out here in the real world and you go broke quick or get fired quick.  He/she needs to stay in education and never even entertain the idea of doing anything else.