Halls (West TN) hires a new coach

GrumpyBulldog

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Waker said:

From what I hear, the old coach never really committed to Halls. Just went through the motions. To win in Halls you have to change the culture and show you actually care about the program.

Really.  You think that's all it takes.  The "culture"?  That's one of the most overused words of the 21st century.  I mean, if I hear the word "culture" one more time I might lose my fkn mind.  "Care about the program".  WTH does that mean? So, did the last 10 coaches there not "care about the program".  Did winning or losing not matter to them?  If not, that's something that a halfway decent principal and/or A.D. should pick up on bout halfway through his first year.  So, that would be negligence on their part to wait until the guy drinks three six packs of beer and then crashes out onto the street in his truck and refuses to pull over for a few miles and then offer the cop $8,000... and Then fire him.   It's okay not to care about the program, but, if you get so drunk you can't fish and then try to drive your truck through town, and, most importantly, you get caught by the law, then, boy, you're done coaching here!  And if you offer the cop a bribe then, boy, you ain't gonna be teaching here either.  Wow, that's leadership right there now.

Hopefully the new guy excels at teaching blocking, tackling, game preparation, and team building.  I wish him the best.  

11 hours ago, YBsostupid said:

Really.  You think that's all it takes.  The "culture"?  That's one of the most overused words of the 21st century.  I mean, if I hear the word "culture" one more time I might lose my fkn mind.  "Care about the program".  WTH does that mean? So, did the last 10 coaches there not "care about the program".  Did winning or losing not matter to them?  If not, that's something that a halfway decent principal and/or A.D. should pick up on bout halfway through his first year.  So, that would be negligence on their part to wait until the guy drinks three six packs of beer and then crashes out onto the street in his truck and refuses to pull over for a few miles and then offer the cop $8,000... and Then fire him.   It's okay not to care about the program, but, if you get so drunk you can't fish and then try to drive your truck through town, and, most importantly, you get caught by the law, then, boy, you're done coaching here!  And if you offer the cop a bribe then, boy, you ain't gonna be teaching here either.  Wow, that's leadership right there now.

Hopefully the new guy excels at teaching blocking, tackling, game preparation, and team building.  I wish him the best.  

Calm down. 

There are kids in Halls that should be playing football that are not. No kid wants to go out and get their brains beat in every game for a coach that lives a hour away from the town. No kid wants to play for a coach where his assistants are fighting in the parking lot because of reasons off the field. You can’t have a coach that pulls his buddies off the street to coach offense and defense. I’d say there needs to be a culture change. They deserve better in Halls. Hopefully this is their guy to do that.

Oh yeah I’ll say it again-Culture. You can go ahead and lose your mind if you want to, but after reading your posts in the past, you already have. UBsostupid

Edited by Waker

14 hours ago, YBsostupid said:

Dang, we went from "culture" to principal/AD, to beer, to cops, and then bribing. None of that other than "culture" related to football at Halls.

20 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Dang, we went from "culture" to principal/AD, to beer, to cops, and then bribing. None of that other than "culture" related to football at Halls.

Yes.  I read the newspaper.  The recently fired head coach, according to the newspaper, left the school area, where the field house office is, in a reckless manner.  A local police officer on patrol happened to be right there.  He turned on his blue lights and siren and the guy still drove another 3 miles before stopping.  The coach offered the officer $8,000.00 to go away.  (Halls must pay their coach really well) The officer refused and called for backup.  At first he said he had 4 beers.  Later admitted to 18 beers.  LOL.  He had a firearm in his vehicle...while drunk.  Had to be threatened to be tazed before he would get in the back seat of the patrol car, according to the newspaper report.  So that is the "culture" I guess you could say, at HHS.  It's difficult to believe that the guy just decided one day to be that stupid.  When someone is stupid they're stupid every day.  Not just one day a year or so. They're even stupid when they're asleep.  I think the word "culture" is for weak kneed, "this will take 10 years to fix" losers.  That's my opinion.  That's my observation.  A good coach proves he's good in year one.  Like Heupel did at UT and like many first year high school coaches do every year.  It doesn't take 3-5 years to teach kids how to block and tackle.  

2 hours ago, YBsostupid said:

Yes.  I read the newspaper.  The recently fired head coach, according to the newspaper, left the school area, where the field house office is, in a reckless manner.  A local police officer on patrol happened to be right there.  He turned on his blue lights and siren and the guy still drove another 3 miles before stopping.  The coach offered the officer $8,000.00 to go away.  (Halls must pay their coach really well) The officer refused and called for backup.  At first he said he had 4 beers.  Later admitted to 18 beers.  LOL.  He had a firearm in his vehicle...while drunk.  Had to be threatened to be tazed before he would get in the back seat of the patrol car, according to the newspaper report.  So that is the "culture" I guess you could say, at HHS.  It's difficult to believe that the guy just decided one day to be that stupid.  When someone is stupid they're stupid every day.  Not just one day a year or so. They're even stupid when they're asleep.  I think the word "culture" is for weak kneed, "this will take 10 years to fix" losers.  That's my opinion.  That's my observation.  A good coach proves he's good in year one.  Like Heupel did at UT and like many first year high school coaches do every year.  It doesn't take 3-5 years to teach kids how to block and tackle.  

It’s not as hard to do at the college level. You can recruit athletes. You can’t at a public school level. I hope for the good people and kids in Halls that Stigall can do it.People aren’t moving into Lauderdale Co for jobs. Many families that have athletes around that way have sent their kids to Dyersburg, Dyer Co and TCA. Parents are going to do what’s best for their kids. I have many friends that live in Halls. Few of their kids are enrolled at Halls. It’s not because it’s a bad place to live, it’s the carousel of coaches. Please name a coach that has completely turned around a program (that has been down for years) in their first year. High school football is a bit more than just blocking and tackling.

Edited by Waker

14 hours ago, Waker said:

It’s not as hard to do at the college level. You can recruit athletes. You can’t at a public school level. I hope for the good people and kids in Halls that Stigall can do it.People aren’t moving into Lauderdale Co for jobs. Many families that have athletes around that way have sent their kids to Dyersburg, Dyer Co and TCA. Parents are going to do what’s best for their kids. I have many friends that live in Halls. Few of their kids are enrolled at Halls. It’s not because it’s a bad place to live, it’s the carousel of coaches. Please name a coach that has completely turned around a program (that has been down for years) in their first year. High school football is a bit more than just blocking and tackling.

I have never met coach Stigall.  I hope he is finally the hire that gets things on track there.  I know the talent is in the hallways.  I know that they should not be playing at 3-5 away game homecoming each year.  They have hired one idiot after another and if the hire is well connected in the town he can lose indefinitely, just stays as long as they want.  If they are not from there they get 3-5 years.  As to your question, Ripley, where Stigall went with the head coach there a few years back is one example.  There was a significant and obvious improvement in Ripley with the very first year.  I do not imagine Ripley is the visiting team for many school's homecomings anymore.  There was a time frame, once upon a time, a time frame that lasted for about 20 years, that nobody even considered scheduling Halls for their homecoming game.  I would like to see that happen again for another 20 year stretch.