Which team will see the biggest downturn from 2022?

ILB1999

This time of year, everyone is optimistic about their own team, and rightfully so.  But In the interest of keeping the board more attractive for all, lets talk about Who will see the largest downturn from 2022? 

This obviously is a really a discussion of 2022's top teams.  Can Oakland continue their three-year run?  Will their top contender continue to be beech, bartlett, and maryville?

Can West repeat?  Or will Powell return, or Page finally close the deal? Or Henry County finally escape the quarters?

Or more specifically, with of these teams will fall into .500 mediocrity?

59 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

This time of year, everyone is optimistic about their own team, and rightfully so.  But In the interest of keeping the board more attractive for all, lets talk about Who will see the largest downturn from 2022? 

This obviously is a really a discussion of 2022's top teams.  Can Oakland continue their three-year run?  Will their top contender continue to be beech, bartlett, and maryville?

Can West repeat?  Or will Powell return, or Page finally close the deal? Or Henry County finally escape the quarters?

I can't see any of those listed above dipping into the .500 range.

Knox West's 2022 team looked to be loaded with seniors, if I remember correctly they graduate 31 but someone closer to the program may be able to correct that.    In either case that is a lot of senior experience to replace so it's hard to think they will go 15-0 again.    Powell loses a lot on offense too.     But on this side of the state I would still put Powell and Knox West as the teams to beat.

The word coming out of Maryville is that is may be a rough year in 2023, but who knows if that is true or just sandbagging.      Maryville struggled a bit in 2022 and still made the semi's so I don't know who else in 6A on this side of the state can even come close to them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Knox West's 2022 team looked to be loaded with seniors, if I remember correctly they graduate 31 but someone closer to the program may be able to correct that.    In either case that is a lot of senior experience to replace so it's hard to think they will go 15-0 again.    Powell loses a lot on offense too.     But on this side of the state I would still put Powell and Knox West as the teams to beat.

The word coming out of Maryville is that is may be a rough year in 2023, but who knows if that is true or just sandbagging.      Maryville struggled a bit in 2022 and still made the semi's so I don't know who else in 6A on this side of the state can even come close to them.

All three of those teams you mentioned have got to find a quarterback.  All lost a senior starter, and none of them had a backup that you can point to and say, "he's the guy".  

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I think HTV is just saying that none of those teams have a returning starter at QB, and none of them had a budding star backing up that starter.

That's fair, but I always considered Maryville and West as run heavy offenses with passes to change things up.  I don't know that I think they'd be as effected as Powell by a change in QB.

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Knox West did lose quite a few Seniors but have some great Juniors back in Smith (#44), Scott (#15), Bowers (#3), Hoard (#6), Smith (#18), Sterling (#36), Whitesell (#72) that started or played a ton.  The biggest questions marks are losing 4 Seniors on the Oline and breaking in a new QB.  Jessie last year did a great job of managing the game and making throws when he needed too, didn’t hurt having Latham in the backfields (he was tough to bring down and just got better as the game went on).  They will rely on their tough D in the beginning of the season but will have the O going a little later on the season in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

Beech dropped to 5A

2 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

That's fair, but I always considered Maryville and West as run heavy offenses with passes to change things up.  I don't know that I think they'd be as effected as Powell by a change in QB.

Obviously Powell's offense is going to look different this year, with the losses at QB and WR. Outside of that, they have a lot of returning starters on both sides of the ball. Both RBs and most of the offensive line are back, along with 2/3 of the defensive starters (including Soles at DE). It'll be interesting to see what they end up having at QB. They had a freshman QB last year who looked to have a ton of potential (dual threat guy with a big arm), but we'll see if he progresses. Tough schedule though - road games against OR, Farragut, and West, plus home games against Anderson Co, McMinn Co, and Central.