Fayette Academy names new football coach

ReitzFan

Fayette Academy has named Dale Wells as their new head football coach. Previously, Wells was both an assistant and head coach at the middle school level for Fayette Academy. Wells replaces Michael Hodum who left to serve as an assistant at Briarcrest.

Edited by ReitzFan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly interested in how much interest this job garnered during the search. The whole process was kept very quiet. Seems like it would be an appealing job: solid returning roster, good community support, etc. I would imagine that Fayette Academy would at least reap some of the rewards of the big Ford plant moving in down the road as well. 

1 hour ago, TNbuck84 said:

honestly interested in how much interest this job garnered during the search. The whole process was kept very quiet. Seems like it would be an appealing job: solid returning roster, good community support, etc. I would imagine that Fayette Academy would at least reap some of the rewards of the big Ford plant moving in down the road as well. 

Hodum left a little late in the offseason. He didn't leave in late December/early January when Fayette Academy could've looked at whose available and receive a good number/quality of applicants. I'm not surprised by Hodum leaving FA. I'm really disappointed in Fayette Academy and their facilities. It's very "minimumish" for a private school. I don't know how much is their enrollment, and I don't know how much FA has in the piggy bank (none of my business anyway). However, if they want to "reap some of the rewards" then they need to do something big in Somerville whether if it's to build a new school closer to I-40, or go through a huge renovation for all their sports, especially football. If they don't, then they won't "reap some of the rewards." Personally, I do believe Fayette Academy could be the school that receives the biggest benefit from the Ford plant, and I think Somerville could receive some big benefit as well. But they won't if they stand pat. If they stand pat, then JCS will continue to roll in this region. 

They have to do something, because they have absolutely no visitor bleachers, and they're going to play Adamsville in the first game, and there's not enough space for Adamsville fans to sit, and there's not enough space if Adamsville wants to bring their band (those band students won't have any area to sit down). 

How great does Fayette Academy want to be? Because in my opinion, it's more of a "country/public school" than it is as a true "private" school.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:27 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Hodum left a little late in the offseason. He didn't leave in late December/early January when Fayette Academy could've looked at whose available and receive a good number/quality of applicants. I'm not surprised by Hodum leaving FA. I'm really disappointed in Fayette Academy and their facilities. It's very "minimumish" for a private school. I don't know how much is their enrollment, and I don't know how much FA has in the piggy bank (none of my business anyway). However, if they want to "reap some of the rewards" then they need to do something big in Somerville whether if it's to build a new school closer to I-40, or go through a huge renovation for all their sports, especially football. If they don't, then they won't "reap some of the rewards." Personally, I do believe Fayette Academy could be the school that receives the biggest benefit from the Ford plant, and I think Somerville could receive some big benefit as well. But they won't if they stand pat. If they stand pat, then JCS will continue to roll in this region. 

They have to do something, because they have absolutely no visitor bleachers, and they're going to play Adamsville in the first game, and there's not enough space for Adamsville fans to sit, and there's not enough space if Adamsville wants to bring their band (those band students won't have any area to sit down). 

How great does Fayette Academy want to be? Because in my opinion, it's more of a "country/public school" than it is as a true "private" school.

Agree totally with that last paragraph. I haven't been there in some years but I remember it having a public school atmosphere if that makes sense. Really similar kinda feel to Gibson County or somewhere like that. How long you think it'll take Bowling and TCA to catch up to JCS?

23 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Agree totally with that last paragraph. I haven't been there in some years but I remember it having a public school atmosphere if that makes sense. Really similar kinda feel to Gibson County or somewhere like that. How long you think it'll take Bowling and TCA to catch up to JCS?

I can see a lot similarity with the Gibson County comparison, especially in football. The problem with Gibson County is Peabody. There's not really another private school close to Somerville that will take kids away from FA. I don't know what to expect from GC on the field, but their weight room numbers have been impressive from last offseason (again, their coach was hired late in the offseason, too).

I don't know if TCA can catch up to JCS because of style of play, coaching staff, and relatability. I do believe JCS has the most underrated coaching staff in West Tennessee. I do believe their style of play on offense is fun for the players, and can get everybody involved. It really should be similar to the 2018/19 Memphis Tigers if JCS can utilized that effectively. Defenses can't sell out to one player, because another player on JCS can burn you. 

That's going to be the question for TCA. If they run that veer option/heavy run, then teams will sell out to that. One problem I noticed watching TCA on film (thanks to Reitz) was that they struggled running the ball downhill. They had to run on the outside to get some yards. I don't know if they have the line to run the ball effectively. I like the hiring of Bowling, but it's more of a "wait and see" because I don't know if Bowling's offense matches what TCA has from a player standpoint. Thompkins is great, but TCA doesn't really have the supporting cast like JCS. That's going to be the main difference between the two.

21 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I can see a lot similarity with the Gibson County comparison, especially in football. The problem with Gibson County is Peabody. There's not really another private school close to Somerville that will take kids away from FA. I don't know what to expect from GC on the field, but their weight room numbers have been impressive from last offseason (again, their coach was hired late in the offseason, too).

I don't know if TCA can catch up to JCS because of style of play, coaching staff, and relatability. I do believe JCS has the most underrated coaching staff in West Tennessee. I do believe their style of play on offense is fun for the players, and can get everybody involved. It really should be similar to the 2018/19 Memphis Tigers if JCS can utilized that effectively. Defenses can't sell out to one player, because another player on JCS can burn you. 

That's going to be the question for TCA. If they run that veer option/heavy run, then teams will sell out to that. One problem I noticed watching TCA on film (thanks to Reitz) was that they struggled running the ball downhill. They had to run on the outside to get some yards. I don't know if they have the line to run the ball effectively. I like the hiring of Bowling, but it's more of a "wait and see" because I don't know if Bowling's offense matches what TCA has from a player standpoint. Thompkins is great, but TCA doesn't really have the supporting cast like JCS. That's going to be the main difference between the two.

These are the typical statements made about a veer or double wing coach when he is hired.  The veer has a lot of double team blocking at the point of attack.  When properly coached, two lesser o-linemen will be able to make the blocks.  On the backside there are cut blocks.  They sting.  Add to that the misdirection of the offense and then you have a coach that can win consistently year in and year out.  it's not an ideal offense for daddies who envision their son throwing the ball for 3,000 yards.  It is an ideal offense for the 95% of the players and fans who simply want to win and do not care what type of offense is run just as long as it wins.  So, keep your chin up and try not to suck.

1 hour ago, YBsostupid said:

These are the typical statements made about a veer or double wing coach when he is hired.  The veer has a lot of double team blocking at the point of attack.  When properly coached, two lesser o-linemen will be able to make the blocks.  On the backside there are cut blocks.  They sting.  Add to that the misdirection of the offense and then you have a coach that can win consistently year in and year out.  it's not an ideal offense for daddies who envision their son throwing the ball for 3,000 yards.  It is an ideal offense for the 95% of the players and fans who simply want to win and do not care what type of offense is run just as long as it wins.  So, keep your chin up and try not to suck.

You just pulled this out of your hat (or something else that's below your waist) hoping I will agree with you? Do you think we're just as stupid as you are on a daily basis?

2 hours ago, YBsostupid said:

You make good points. I remember running the veer in HS, being very successful at it. Lots of great teams have won lots of games running that offense. 

TCA is a small private school in an area where there are a lot of good football programs and a limited number of high level skill players. If I’m an 8th grader, what’s more appealing: an offense that my grandad ran when he was in HS, or an offense I see on TV on Saturdays? 

If I want to play college ball some day (any level) do I want to be developed in ways that translate to the next level, or do I want to play in a system that very few college programs run. 

if I’m a basketball or baseball guy who the coach has talked into coming out for football, do I really want to play football in a phone booth or do I want to play in space with my natural athleticism. 

the option offense can work for many schools, but for TCA to compete they need the athletes mentioned above. Coach Butler understood this, and that’s why you saw elite athletes come through there playing in his system. Not saying new coach won’t be successful, I think he can and probably will. But football has changed. You may not like it, I may not like it, but the fact remains the same. 

trying not to suck, or be stupid. 

On 5/3/2023 at 10:32 PM, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Who says TCA is going to run Bowling's veer offense? Good coaches adapt to the team they have and what type of offense the players can execute best. 

You have one of the states most talented receivers yardage wise, and you have a young man who is outstanding on defense and can just make you hide in fear with his ability to run past or through you. BTW, he is bigger, faster, and developing new skills y'all haven't seen yet. Also have quite a few youngsters who showed flashes of ability who will be a year older, stronger, and wiser. I think Coach Bowling will surprise you. 

19 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Who says TCA is going to run Bowling's veer offense? Good coaches adapt to the team they have and what type of offense the players can execute best. 

You have one of the states most talented receivers yardage wise, and you have a young man who is outstanding on defense and can just make you hide in fear with his ability to run past or through you. BTW, he is bigger, faster, and developing new skills y'all haven't seen yet. Also have quite a few youngsters who showed flashes of ability who will be a year older, stronger, and wiser. I think Coach Bowling will surprise you. 

MTCS ran that type of offense and has been very successful with very limited playmakers. It’s good to hear about all these good players from TCA. Hope they do well next season and I look forward to the opportunity to see them play in person vs DCA. Best of luck this season. 

On 5/5/2023 at 9:51 PM, TNbuck84 said:

You make good points. I remember running the veer in HS, being very successful at it. Lots of great teams have won lots of games running that offense. 

TCA is a small private school in an area where there are a lot of good football programs and a limited number of high level skill players. If I’m an 8th grader, what’s more appealing: an offense that my grandad ran when he was in HS, or an offense I see on TV on Saturdays? 

If I want to play college ball some day (any level) do I want to be developed in ways that translate to the next level, or do I want to play in a system that very few college programs run. 

if I’m a basketball or baseball guy who the coach has talked into coming out for football, do I really want to play football in a phone booth or do I want to play in space with my natural athleticism. 

the option offense can work for many schools, but for TCA to compete they need the athletes mentioned above. Coach Butler understood this, and that’s why you saw elite athletes come through there playing in his system. Not saying new coach won’t be successful, I think he can and probably will. But football has changed. You may not like it, I may not like it, but the fact remains the same. 

trying not to suck, or be stupid. 

I had no idea that TCA had so many players each year getting football scholarships.  Kids want to play for a school that is getting the Ws.  I can see there being a QB now and then go to USJ starting 9th grade because daddy thinks he is all that.  The problem is, he'll probably end up sitting the bench.

20 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

MTCS ran that type of offense and has been very successful with very limited playmakers. It’s good to hear about all these good players from TCA. Hope they do well next season and I look forward to the opportunity to see them play in person vs DCA. Best of luck this season. 

Yes they did.  Including a beat down on TCA.  It was just about 3-4 years ago Lake County won the state championship in a blowout game running our granddaddy's offense.  In fact, Just about every year a wing T or veer offense will win a state championship.  The fact is, however, there are daddies who would rather their boy play QB in a spread offense and go 4-6 instead of playing QB in a veer and go 15-0.  I'm sure Bowling has a lot of experience dealing with this and will show the kids who show up with an attitude the bench and go with the kids that buy in completely.  That might make for an interesting August this year.