What’s the best rivalry in 6A-5A football

On 5/4/2023 at 1:32 PM, abo14 said:

Beech/Hendersonville and I think Beech/Henry County is a good one.

I agree that Beech is probably the best and biggest rivalry we have going currently. Historically, Henry County vs. Dickson County was one of the better ones around the rural midstate, though it has largely died down in recent years as DC’s program has struggled. 

the Springfield Yellow Jackets versus the Greenbrier Bobcats is a big game for RobCo. I dare say anyone outside our county cares about this game. The two schools play for the Pitt-Carroll trophy.  It is a realty recent recognition with the awarding of the trophy starting in 2013.

The trophy is named for two former Robertson County high school football players who made the ultimate sacrifice during the Vietnam War.

The trophy was created by the VFW in honor of Dwight Carroll and William Pitt, who were both killed in action during the summer of 1968.

Carroll, a 1966 Springfield graduate, and Pitt, a 1966 Greenbrier graduate, were close friends and decided to join the Marines following their freshman year of college. They were joined by two other local friends – Jim Savley and Tom Cannady, both Greenbrier graduates.  

On a sidebar, The Jackets fans think of the Henry County game as a rivalry but I am not so sure that the Pats fans replicated those feelings

@JacketLover @eers  @LEON

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, TheCommissioner said:

I agree with you on both of these games 

Beech v Hendersonville is always an interesting week. Beech v Henry County has really developed into a good rivalry and I think that will increase over the coming years with the two schools being in the same region.

Sad to see Beech v Gallatin off the schedule. Always like playing the schools that are right down the road. Heard a lot of reasons why this didn’t happen this cycle, but I believe it comes down to the previous coach knowing Gallatin wasn’t beating Beech and/or that Gallatin hasn’t won since 2011. 

Edited by eers

1 hour ago, eers said:

Beech v Hendersonville is always an interesting week. Beech v Henry County has really developed into a good rivalry and I think that will increase over the coming years with the two schools being in the same region.

Sad to see Beech v Gallatin off the schedule. Always like playing the schools that are right down the road. Heard a lot of reasons why this didn’t happen this cycle, but I believe it comes down to the previous coach knowing Gallatin wasn’t beating Beech and/or that Gallatin hasn’t won since 2011. 

That previous coach did not make the schedule for this next cycle.  We have gone over this before.  

Edited by GWAVE1

1 minute ago, GWAVE1 said:

That previous coach did not make the schedule for this next cycle.  We have gone over this before.  

I’m trying to believe that, but if that’s the case I can make no sense of it. I get that it would have been “difficult”, but it could have happened.  I have heard the new coach wants this game to happen and thought it was ridiculous that it didn’t. 

5 minutes ago, eers said:

I’m trying to believe that, but if that’s the case I can make no sense of it. I get that it would have been “difficult”, but it could have happened.  I have heard the new coach wants this game to happen and thought it was ridiculous that it didn’t. 

In two years I am sure it will be resumed.  When Warren Co got added to the region, it confounded everything.  Springfield asked for a change in dates and it was granted.  The schedule did not fit for Beech to get a game.  Heck, Gallatin only has 4 home games this year.