Best Alcoa team all time?

Elias287

Yes, 2009 and 2010. Also, The 2020 team once Caden Buckles took over at QB was pretty dynamic. They won the state championship that year over a very good Milan team 35-0. The teams only loss was to Maryville early, with a young soph. QB. Nothing against Zach Lunsford, as he used that game to become an outstanding QB for Alcoa. But, that Team with Buckles at QB in the playoffs was unreal.  Alcoa had an Offense to match a Grey Carroll led Defense. 

• Like 1

2004:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS

2005:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS

2006:  13-2 = STATE CHAMPS 

2007:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2008:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2009:  15-0 = STATE CHAMPS 

2010:  15-0 = STATE CHAMPS 

2011:  8-5

2012:  11-2

2013:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2014:  13-2

2015:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2016:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2017:  13-2 = STATE CHAMPS 

2018:  15-0 = STATE CHAMPS 

2019:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2020:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2021:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2022:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

Alcoa Football’s 19 Year Run (2004-2022)

257-24 = 0.915 Winning %

16 State Championships

1 State Runner-Up

(If 2011 wasn’t included on that list they would be 249-19 over an 18 year span)

3 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

2004:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS

2005:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS

2006:  13-2 = STATE CHAMPS 

2007:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2008:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2009:  15-0 = STATE CHAMPS 

2010:  15-0 = STATE CHAMPS 

2011:  8-5

2012:  11-2

2013:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2014:  13-2

2015:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2016:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2017:  13-2 = STATE CHAMPS 

2018:  15-0 = STATE CHAMPS 

2019:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2020:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2021:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

2022:  14-1 = STATE CHAMPS 

Alcoa Football’s 19 Year Run (2004-2022)

257-24 = 0.915 Winning %

16 State Championships

1 State Runner-Up

(If 2011 wasn’t included on that list they would be 249-19 over an 18 year span)

Alcoa lost to CAK by 1 point one year and 2 points the other year. (2011 & 2012) 3 points keep them from a championship those years.

17 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Alcoa lost to CAK by 1 point one year and 2 points the other year. (2011 & 2012) 3 points keep them from a championship those years.

Not to mention the 2014 Championship Game was 7-0 and Alcoa had the ball with a chance to score at the end of the game.  

10 Points Away From 19 Consecutive State Championships

• Upvote 1

**I posted this to another thread previously**

2005 Alcoa football

14-1

State Champion

729 points in season (I believe #3 all time)

State Record 252 points in playoffs

Outscored opponents: 477-137 Regular season (only 3 opponents scored in double figures)

Outscored opponents:  252-48 in playoffs

Below are a list of significant players and the schools they committed to.(I know some of them did not pan out, but they were good enough to receive offers and commit to the schools listed below)

Brandon Warren – TE/DE – FSU #1 overall tightend in the nation. #1 recruit in state of TN. All-State/All-American. 2005 Mr. Football

Dustin Lindsey-RB/LB – UT # 29 overall runningback in the Nation, All-State, All-American.  On only 119 carries rushed for 1,221 and 19 TDs

Rae Sykes- DE – UT #6 overall DT in the nation.  All-State/ All-American. 70 tackles -10 sacks

Chris Shiverdecker- RB- UK -  All- State State Championship Offensive MVP

Logan Love – RB - UT

Randall Cobb- QB - UK

Kyrus Lanxter-WR/DB - UK

Martin White- OL – Austin Peay

Colton Reid- OL –Air Force

Joey Fielger – QB – Louisville-graduated from Northern State University All-State

Brian Sommers – WR/DB –South Carolina

Justin Dunkin – DE/LB - Maryville College

Bart Hicks – LB/RB – Carson Newman -  State Championship  Defensive MVP

Darrell Tate- RB – Maryville College

Drew Miller- All State

Other notable players: Sam Thompson, Mark Avery, Troy  Hodge, Jamar Walker, Alex Green

** To add to this, for anyone bringing up beating Maryville, this is my reply to that from the previous thread**

I would have to disagree, respectfully of course.  while those three teams may have beaten Maryville, I still believe this 05 team was probably the best Alcoa team assembled.  The talent was through the roof (11 guys with division 1 offers, 3 top 50 recruits nationally ), just had a few missteps vs maryville, plus maryville played a great game, and executed a great game plan, starting with an on sidekick after scoring on the first possession of the game. I would also say that the maryville team in 05 is better than maryville teams of 09,10,and 18.  That maryville team was loaded as well, Brent burnette, tyler maples, gary tucker, curtis tate, aaron douglas, tank baker,(All Division 1 offers) Stephen Shiver, Dwight Wood, Landon Hall, etc...Once this team (05 Alcoa) got their act together they were tough, beating fulton 40-8.  I believe the 05 team would beat any alcoa team put together. just my personal opinion. 

Edited by BoysBasketball112234
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BoysBasketball112234 said:

**I posted this to another thread previously**

2005 Alcoa football

14-1

State Champion

729 points in season (I believe #3 all time)

State Record 252 points in playoffs

Outscored opponents: 477-137 Regular season (only 3 opponents scored in double figures)

Outscored opponents:  252-48 in playoffs

Below are a list of significant players and the schools they committed to.(I know some of them did not pan out, but they were good enough to receive offers and commit to the schools listed below)

Brandon Warren – TE/DE – FSU #1 overall tightend in the nation. #1 recruit in state of TN. All-State/All-American. 2005 Mr. Football

Dustin Lindsey-RB/LB – UT # 29 overall runningback in the Nation, All-State, All-American.  On only 119 carries rushed for 1,221 and 19 TDs

Rae Sykes- DE – UT #6 overall DT in the nation.  All-State/ All-American. 70 tackles -10 sacks

Chris Shiverdecker- RB- UK -  All- State State Championship Offensive MVP

Logan Love – RB - UT

Randall Cobb- QB - UK

Kyrus Lanxter-WR/DB - UK

Martin White- OL – Austin Peay

Colton Reid- OL –Air Force

Joey Fielger – QB – Louisville-graduated from Northern State University All-State

Brian Sommers – WR/DB –South Carolina

Justin Dunkin – DE/LB - Maryville College

Bart Hicks – LB/RB – Carson Newman -  State Championship  Defensive MVP

Darrell Tate- RB – Maryville College

Drew Miller- All State

Other notable players: Sam Thompson, Mark Avery, Troy  Hodge, Jamar Walker, Alex Green

** To add to this, for anyone bringing up beating Maryville, this is my reply to that from the previous thread**

I would have to disagree, respectfully of course.  while those three teams may have beaten Maryville, I still believe this 05 team was probably the best Alcoa team assembled.  The talent was through the roof (11 guys with division 1 offers, 3 top 50 recruits nationally ), just had a few missteps vs maryville, plus maryville played a great game, and executed a great game plan, starting with an on sidekick after scoring on the first possession of the game. I would also say that the maryville team in 05 is better than maryville teams of 09,10,and 18.  That maryville team was loaded as well, Brent burnette, tyler maples, gary tucker, curtis tate, aaron douglas, tank baker,(All Division 1 offers) Stephen Shiver, Dwight Wood, Landon Hall, etc...Once this team (05 Alcoa) got their act together they were tough, beating fulton 40-8.  I believe the 05 team would beat any alcoa team put together. just my personal opinion. 

Great break down. The missing piece for the 2005 team was being mentally prepared early. That Alcoa team had heard all summer how good they where going to be. To the point going into the Maryville game, the team was very OVER hyped. Even the whole Alcoa Community thought they would win.

Maryville walked on to that field like a machine. Very business/military like. GQ knew he would have to strike fast. He unloaded his trick play bag first play. It was not till the third quarter Alcoa settled down and started to play to their potential. But, it was to late.

Coach Reid told me he had never been that out coached......ever. 

That team responded to getting beat, and played much better afterwards, Going to McCallie and beating a very good UT comment, BJ Coleman led Blue Tornado team.......45-35.

IMO, it was the highlight of the season, and a game I remember well to this day.

Edited by BCsportsfan
  • Like 1

I went back 10 years and tried to compile y'all's record as best I could against the current divisions.  was hard but I tried to put the wins & loses where the schools are now (I.e. CPA is in D2 even though there was no such thing at the time.). I am sure I misplaced some but it should be close.

2A - 6-0

3A - 97-1 (scott in 2012)

4A - 1-0

5A - 8-1 (last year's west game)

6A - 13-8 (all losses to maryville I think)

D2 - 10-2 (loses to CAK and CPA before D2)

OOS - 1-1 (corbin, KY)

that's super impressive for sure on 3A enrollment!!  I hope you get more good 6A, D2 and OOS teams to play you guys.  clearly maryville is the only team that is consistently giving you a game.   FWIW, I think lipscomb is one of the very few teams with a winning record against you guys and that goes WAAAAAAY back but i'll take it.  : )