Is anyone doing a Pre Season Tennessee High School Football Book this year ?

There's really not a full proof way of doing it in all honesty.  For instance transfers are more prominent today than they used to be.  Spring Practices are often times filled with unexpected surprise stories (good and bad).  Kids decide to opt out of playing for other reasons.  As a result of many reasons a survey filled out in March/April may not be close to what occurs with a team come July/August.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

There's really not a full proof way of doing it in all honesty.  For instance transfers are more prominent today than they used to be.  Spring Practices are often times filled with unexpected surprise stories (good and bad).  Kids decide to opt out of playing for other reasons.  As a result of many reasons a survey filled out in March/April may not be close to what occurs with a team come July/August.  

Same goes for college also, in a week or two there will be a dozen college mags on the shelf. High School Football needs all the promotion it can get. It's nice to know about the schools, coaches and their thoughts. I know Murphy Fair had a very hard time getting all of his feedback from certain coaches but for the most part those unwilling to provide info were either losers as human beings and the records most of those schools produced were a living testimony of those losers. Then you had a Butt-Head or two with dry personalties that can't understand why no one likes them and losses 30 in a row and a new guy comes in and wins 4 his first year. One of those reasons was promoting his kids.

22 hours ago, HTV said:

Donovan Stewart is doing an improved version this year. 

He learned a lot from his mistakes of last year. He's got it together for the upcoming season. Had a full year to put it together instead of 3 weeks. 

I would like to see rankings/predictions from each class/region, and a short write up on each team instead of just the schedule, lost players, and returning players. I know that was what Murphy's book had in it but this may just be different and have raw info on every team...

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Same goes for college also, in a week or two there will be a dozen college mags on the shelf. High School Football needs all the promotion it can get. It's nice to know about the schools, coaches and their thoughts. I know Murphy Fair had a very hard time getting all of his feedback from certain coaches but for the most part those unwilling to provide info were either losers as human beings and the records most of those schools produced were a living testimony of those losers. Then you had a Butt-Head or two with dry personalties that can't understand why no one likes them and losses 30 in a row and a new guy comes in and wins 4 his first year. One of those reasons was promoting his kids.

90% of the lack of feedback in Mr. Fair’s book was from inner-city schools.

14 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Come on Barney, you're going to have to let some of this go at some point. It's your go-to issue with one coach every. single. year. and he's no longer coaching. Don't you think that after all those years he coached, he knows a bit about Murphy Fair? maybe give it a rest. 

Promoting kids in a book that basically nobody gets/reads isn't and wasn't the issue or even 'one of the reasons'. Lots of schools promote their kids and they still aren't signing to play after high school nor are they having winning seasons. You know the root of the problems at some of these schools just as well as I do. Money, social media and fancy preview books won't fix everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

Come on Barney, you're going to have to let some of this go at some point. It's your go-to issue with one coach every. single. year. and he's no longer coaching. Don't you think that after all those years he coached, he knows a bit about Murphy Fair? maybe give it a rest. 

Promoting kids in a book that basically nobody gets/reads isn't and wasn't the issue or even 'one of the reasons'. Lots of schools promote their kids and they still aren't signing to play after high school nor are they having winning seasons. You know the root of the problems at some of these schools just as well as I do. Money, social media and fancy preview books won't fix everything. 

For your information I do a lot of research regarding all East Tennessee football programs and plan on putting something out once I hit a certain goal. You may not have any interest in something like that but I do and trying to find that information is like pulling hens teeth when you run up on a program there is little information on. Old newspapers, football periodicals, yearbooks an old football schedules have been a great help. Information from the 20s 30s and Midway into the 40s is very sketchy. We are returning right back to that point of History again because newspapers have cut staff and you can't get any information at all on a lot of teams because of it. If you don't like my post just skip over it like I do yours.

10 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

For your information I do a lot of research regarding all East Tennessee football programs and plan on putting something out once I hit a certain goal. You may not have any interest in something like that but I do and trying to find that information is like pulling hens teeth when you run up on a program there is little information on. Old newspapers, football periodicals, yearbooks an old football schedules have been a great help. Information from the 20s 30s and Midway into the 40s is very sketchy. We are returning right back to that point of History again because newspapers have cut staff and you can't get any information at all on a lot of teams because of it. If you don't like my post just skip over it like I do yours.

For YOUR information, I simply stated to give it a rest about your displeasure with a specific coach in the area that isn't even coaching anymore and how that school and other local schools won't turn around just by having a preview in a book promoting their kids.

I didn't, however, say anything about historical data. I love a good, solid, factual informational write up about schools, especially athletic programs, but, I suggest you curb some of your statements if you want the respect of all types of coaches and their different from you personality throughout E TN. But, carry on. . . 

On 6/5/2023 at 9:52 PM, ftbllfan23 said:

For YOUR information, I simply stated to give it a rest about your displeasure with a specific coach in the area that isn't even coaching anymore and how that school and other local schools won't turn around just by having a preview in a book promoting their kids.

I didn't, however, say anything about historical data. I love a good, solid, factual informational write up about schools, especially athletic programs, but, I suggest you curb some of your statements if you want the respect of all types of coaches and their different from you personality throughout E TN. But, carry on. . . 

I don't have any displeasure with this person at all. He is a good coach and better than his record but his main failure was PR skills which just sending in a questionair with a self stamped envelope was just to much for this man to do which is a sign of his personality as a whole. I know someone who lived in his neighborhood that had four boys that played high school football and they would pass just walking on the street and he wouldn't even acknowledge him after speaking. My old coach would have stopped and not only talked to this person but before you know it those four boy's would have been going to Maryville just because he made that parent feel extra special. PR skills are a must in winning high school football believe it or not. Look at Josh Jones at Bearden how much interest he has brought to that program over good PR skills that attract kids and their families. Please don't let my opinion and overall insight rub you the wrong way but I was just using him as an example even though he isn't coaching now. There is one place knowing him well as I do that he would have been the perfect fit at and that was where he played high school football and that job was available this past winter but I guess he didn't apply. Wish that he had of.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a pbp broadcaster and talk show host, I found Murphy's book to be extremely valuable as a tool to help prepare. As Murphy's former webmaster, I know he sold thousands of books each year, delivering them himself to all corners of the state.

I miss that.

Anxious to see what Donovan produces this year. 

Nine weeks away from kickoff and I'm getting anxious.