The new Class 5A Region 5

21 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

I saw Franklin Co vs Coffee Co.  Both offenses were bad.  Defenses looked pretty good, but have a feeling it was more offenses being bad than defenses getting much done.

Franklin Co struggled up front to move folks in the run game and to protect in the pass game.  They have one very young OT, but the rest have played a lot.  Based on that, they could improve some, but not a whole lot, imo.  

FC had two bad long snaps (one punt, one FG), that arguably cost them 6 points.  So, there is a spot that there is a lot of room for improvement.  Young OL is LT, and he could improve as the season goes along.  Lots and lots of operational issues for FC (Delay of game, false start, procedure, bad clock management), so one would hope that would get better as well.  

Unless Coffee was well above average on the DL (3 DL plus one rush LB, typically), FC is going to struggle offensively this year.  Oddly enough, that was expected to be a strength.  Defense played pretty well - 2 or 3 LB's were good, DL was ok to good, DB's were ok.  Offensively for FC, the OL struggles painted most of the picture.  QB running for his life, not much push up front from the group as a whole.  They do have one really good OT, but that doesn't matter much if there are missed assignments elsewhere, of course. 

Region is who we thought they were, going 2-5, with narrow wins over a 1A and a 2A team.  I'm still thinking Shelbyville/Col at the top, Tull/FC next, Lawrence Co, Lincoln Co, Spring Hill 5-7.  We'll see.  

Having watched Tullahoma against Stewart's Creek, Tullahoma will struggle on offense this year. The QB was inconsistent, and the running game is non existent.  I don't know how good Stewart's Creek is this year, they had a large offense and defensive line.  I think  Coffee County will have the edge against Tullahoma this week.

18 minutes ago, SouthernTNguy said:

Having watched Tullahoma against Stewart's Creek, Tullahoma will struggle on offense this year. The QB was inconsistent, and the running game is non existent.  I don't know how good Stewart's Creek is this year, they had a large offense and defensive line.  I think  Coffee County will have the edge against Tullahoma this week.

Man, it could be a barn-burner - you just described Coffee Co, too!

Coffee's defense may be 'ok' to 'pretty good'.  Need more evidence to know where they actually are on that scale.  

Edited by PullinGuard

On 8/13/2023 at 12:30 PM, ScottShasteen said:

My predicted order of finish is:

1. Tullahoma
2. Shelbyville
3. Lawrence Co.
4. Lincoln Co.
5. Columbia
6. Franklin Co.
7. Spring Hill

My predicted order of finish is:

1. Columbia   9-1

2. Shelbyville  6-4

3. Franklin County  4-6

4. Tullahoma  3-7

5. Lawrence County 3-7

6. Lincoln County  2-8

7. spring Hill 1-9

Edited by Twistedwedge

8 hours ago, CatsAndPats said:

I think with the win over Marshall Co. tonight, plus the offensive output against Siegel, Shelbyville would have to be considered an early favorite now. A lot of football to be played though. 

i’d agree. shelbyville seems like they’re gonna have a good year

7 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

Big congrats to Shelbyville. Not sure if my source was correct but I was told they trailed at half. Great to see adjustments and a big win! 

Marshall County led 21-14 at the half. Marshall County couldn't stop Shelbyville's running game, Bailey, and Chandler, had long runs over 70 yards for touchdowns. I know there is long season ahead, clearly they are the front runner at this point. 

50 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

I realize everyone needs time to digest all the great games from last night but I'm interested to see how some of you reshuffle your region rankings. 

Shelbyville and Columbia are the top 2 teams in the region so far.  Shelbyville plays at Columbia on Sept 8. Franklin County probably 3rd, and Tullahoma 4th.  5th Lawrence County, 6th Lincoln County, 7th Spring Hill.