Lack of Sports coverage for West Tn

Sherdog

16 minutes ago, SpottedGoat said:

Trenton Peabody Games broadcast live on Facebook are the best I've ever seen. Instant replay after every play every time & it's all free. They are partnered with someone out of Medina I believe, maybe South Gibson does their games too??

I agree! Trenton does an amazing job!!

If you have good contacts and sources, you can keep up with virtually everyone on game nights. I sit in my recliner on Friday nights. I have two iPads a radio and a TV tuned to a game. I have 2,400 followers on my Facebook page and I spend each Friday night updating scores from Georgia and East and Middle Tennessee. I help the local high school team during the day on Fridays, until they get on the bus, or start getting dressed for a home game. I have done this for several years. If you are interested in having access to my Facebook page call 706.808.0742. No texts please, as this is a landline. 

I know it's not West Tennessee, and they may have to dump out more money than the usual school, but Brentwood Academy's coverage of their games are the best I've seen. Great cameras and able to use the ESPN graphics. When it comes to West Tennessee, I want to say Worthy Road Studios does a great job with the Jackson private schools. Good camera angles and good enough picture to put on YouTube to see after the game. I do hope there's a way a lot more schools can find a way to use the same equipment "Worthy Road Studio" can use for their sporting events. I think it's good enough.

Doesn't look good when you don't have the local paper like they do in Memphis, it doesn't look good when WBBJ is now basically hiring local reporters to do their job. In the past, they hired people outside of West Tennessee to do their job as reporters. So, the "media" has been thrown out, can't rely on them anymore. I haven't listened to the radio guys enough to know whether if they're doing a good job or not.

When the WBBJ/Jackson newspaper basically have abandoned the high school sports throughout West Tennessee, I don't know how you can improve it in any way. What is a bummer is West Tennessee is mainly made of small towns other than Jackson and Memphis. It's not Middle Tennessee where it's Nashville, Clarksville, Murfreesboro, and Cookeville. It's less urban where everybody just covers their own small town/school, and they seem to be proud of it. 

14 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

I've always wanted to stream Huntingdon games, but doesn't TSSAA require payment to do so? or is that only during post season? There has been multiple times in the past I wasn't able to make the games and would liked to have watched the game. I know there are some people that doesn't go to the games, but would like to watch it.

Huntingdon made a foolish decision and went with the NFHS. TSSAA only gets rights fees during the post season and they are outrageous. To video stream high school football, you got to have people committed to working the entire season, you need good equipment that is not cheap, solid internet access, and find sponsors to help pay the expenses.

13 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

Yes that is unfortunate. I have never paid for that junk. Complete waste of money, as I have heard the quality is trash and sometimes the game is never showed or "service" is down. I just don't understand why a school would pay a company, probably a large sum of money, to be so bad, when most folks could do a better job with their phones.

The schools get equipment at no charge. The software used to operate usually unmanned  cameras is suspect. Good internet is a must. Upload speed is the key. You should check out some of my ms broadcasts on West Tennessee Sports  on Facebook . I do the video work, stats and commentary by myself. It is very hard to do it the way I do. But i live and breathe football. Glad I broadcast varsity games with Worthy Road Studios.  We do nice work.

13 hours ago, Bigpun54 said:

Your school system paid them 10,000 to install it and all that u listed is the end result. They must have a heck of a sales pitch though. Lot of schools has bought into it 

NFHS provides cameras at no charge. Schools get a percentage of each supscription. Its not much. Schools paying 10000 is not accurate. 

13 hours ago, SlicKfitty said:

to be honest , during covid NFHS was installing them for no charge .. that’s when the boom happened . I pay for it every year, I like the service . You can watch basically all of the sports from just about every school in the state. Some schools have it tied into the radio stations broadcasting the games . Sometimes I will use it to scout other teams with my son . I’ll mirror it from Iphone to the big screen. There’s nothing like watching your son score TDs  on the big screen while drinking a beer if you can’t make the games . I know out of state grandparents and family utilize the service as well . It’s got value. 

Your statment implying most schools use NFHS is not accurate. Fortunately,  NFHS has very little access in west Tennessee. Most all games videostreamed in West Tennessee  are FREE to view with live commentary,  multiple cameras and instant replay. NFHS does not give you that.

8 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

Trenton Peabody Games broadcast live on Facebook are the best I've ever seen. Instant replay after every play every time & it's all free. They are partnered with someone out of Medina I believe, maybe South Gibson does their games too??

Peabody games are broadcast on Worth Road Studios along with TCA, USJ, and JCS games. WRS is based in Jackson. South Gibson games are videostreamed by their football booster club. One HUGE difference between NFHS and most other video streams is that with just a very few exceptions, a school tied to NFHS can only broadcast homes games. Worthy Road Studios broadcasts games at home AND on the road. You dont get that with NFHS. 

Sorry for all the posts. As I broadcast for WRS and my own company, as well as many years with various radio stations in the past, I am very well acquainted with the ins and outs of radio broadcasting as well as videostreaming. Im just trying to make sure the info is correct. 

15 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The Milan radio station 93.7 does audio for every game and sometimes does a Facebook live. But if the Mustank fans would realize they can’t pay their car payments with their ebt cards they might actually be able to make the games. 

Don't be a hater. If you didn't spend all yours on food in a week, you would probably try to pay yours too.