Lack of Sports coverage for West Tn

Sherdog

I work for Forever Communications, and we are working on addressing this very issue. Checkout sports731.com when you can! We just launched the website last week and are looking to grow it into a hub for West TN HS Sports. Our stations currently do free radio and live stream broadcasts for Union City and Henry County and are adding a game of the week for the Jackson public schools this fall. We also have radio broadcasts for McKenzie and Stewart County. We are also aiming to launch some podcasts along with the one we already do in the near future. And if anybody has any solid leads for stories, please feel free to contact us! We'd love to give the student athletes the coverage and spotlight they deserve!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Sorry for all the posts. As I broadcast for WRS and my own company, as well as many years with various radio stations in the past, I am very well acquainted with the ins and outs of radio broadcasting as well as videostreaming. Im just trying to make sure the info is correct. 

No that’s been debunked 

10 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Your statment implying most schools use NFHS is not accurate. Fortunately,  NFHS has very little access in west Tennessee. Most all games videostreamed in West Tennessee  are FREE to view with live commentary,  multiple cameras and instant replay. NFHS does not give you that.

this isn’t true , sorry 

20 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

Yea I knew some schools did that. I guess I should have worded it as, "I don't know why Huntingdon doesn't have the students stream the games." 

Does Milan stream their home games? Just asking, I know some people that can't make the game that would like to see yall take a big L.

From my experience in broadcasting the folks that watched the games were either out of town or family of a player, band member, cheerleader, etc. If you have a kid playing or you really want to go to the game you are going to buy a ticket. Also, I personally saw numbers of tickets sales actually went up for schools that had live coverage. Seems crazy, but it is what I saw. I think it comes from better exposure and folks talking about the games on the air and around the community. There are some really fine broadcasters and productions in the WTN area. There is also some trash. Broadcasting is hard job. You either have it or your don't. If you think you just pick up a headset and start talking you are sadly mistaken. When I would get done broadcasting a game on Friday night I would be completely gassed at the end of the night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

From my experience in broadcasting the folks that watched the games were either out of town or family of a player, band member, cheerleader, etc. If you have a kid playing or you really want to go to the game you are going to buy a ticket. Also, I personally saw numbers of tickets sales actually went up for schools that had live coverage. Seems crazy, but it is what I saw. I think it comes from better exposure and folks talking about the games on the air and around the community. There are some really fine broadcasters and productions in the WTN area. There is also some trash. Broadcasting is hard job. You either have it or your don't. If you think you just pick up a headset and start talking you are sadly mistaken. When I would get done broadcasting a game on Friday night I would be completely gassed at the end of the night. 

I never said broadcasting was easy. I'm just trying to understand why a school doesn't have the students do that, provided they are given the right equipment and training. Now we have video stream of the games from a company, that the school did whatever they did to obtain the equipment, that has poor quality and works half the time for a fee. (some seem to have no issues, while others I've talked to do) My comment was not to make it look easy, it was more for clarification. 

3 hours ago, Johnmt18 said:

I work for Forever Communications, and we are working on addressing this very issue. Checkout sports731.com when you can! We just launched the website last week and are looking to grow it into a hub for West TN HS Sports. Our stations currently do free radio and live stream broadcasts for Union City and Henry County and are adding a game of the week for the Jackson public schools this fall. We also have radio broadcasts for McKenzie and Stewart County. We are also aiming to launch some podcasts along with the one we already do in the near future. And if anybody has any solid leads for stories, please feel free to contact us! We'd love to give the student athletes the coverage and spotlight they deserve!

LOL.  I work for Forever as well. 

1 hour ago, stangsby3 said:

I never said broadcasting was easy. I'm just trying to understand why a school doesn't have the students do that, provided they are given the right equipment and training. Now we have video stream of the games from a company, that the school did whatever they did to obtain the equipment, that has poor quality and works half the time for a fee. (some seem to have no issues, while others I've talked to do) My comment was not to make it look easy, it was more for clarification. 

Are you okay? I never said that you claimed it was easy. I simply stated my personal experience. Geez man. Sounds like I am going to have to call in BPM for help. It's all good man. Step away from it. Football is almost here. We will all soon get our football fix. 

8 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

Are you okay? I never said that you claimed it was easy. I simply stated my personal experience. Geez man. Sounds like I am going to have to call in BPM for help. It's all good man. Step away from it. Football is almost here. We will all soon get our football fix. 

3 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Are you ok? I must have misinterpreted this part. Also, my response was not an attack. And I'm fine thank you, just enjoying work while doing things I probably shouldn't be doing. 

4 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

Are you talking about students being the commentators or students holding the cameras? 

Because as weird as this sounds, in industries that demand perfection in a way, I have this weird and odd feeling that young people don't want to join those types of industries. Let's say if a student mispronounced a name/say the wrong number, everybody kind of knows it if they've been following along the game. Do you think they get embarrassed if they do mess up? That's why I always thought younger people aren't joining things like officiating. Because they don't understand how good 90% of getting the calls right are,  but the fans are expecting 100%. And when they do make a bad call, how can they handle the bad things from it..

Other than that, I agree. I always thought students should do things like be the PA announcer for basketball/baseball games if they want to. I just never understand why adults just have to do it.

2 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Are you talking about students being the commentators or students holding the cameras? 

Because as weird as this sounds, in industries that demand perfection in a way, I have this weird and odd feeling that young people don't want to join those types of industries. Let's say if a student mispronounced a name/say the wrong number, everybody kind of knows it if they've been following along the game. Do you think they get embarrassed if they do mess up? That's why I always thought younger people aren't joining things like officiating. Because they don't understand how good 90% of getting the calls right are,  but the fans are expecting 100%. And when they do make a bad call, how can they handle the bad things from it..

Other than that, I agree. I always thought students should do things like be the PA announcer for basketball/baseball games if they want to. I just never understand why adults just have to do it.

I agree with you. I wouldn't want the kids to be thrown to the wolves like that lol. Unless they are passionate about the sport and have a knack for commentating. Mostly the camera holding I would say. Then have it tied into the radio broadcast for the commentary. That may be way to much to ask for though. I'm not experienced in broadcasting/commentating or the technicalities so idk if that's even possible. 

Robin Cude does a really good job when I can pick him up. I use to enjoy 96.5 when they did sports. Now it’s horrible and basically people regurgitating what was said on Fox News or CNN. It’s even worse on 101.9, if that’s possible. It blows my mind that people watch or listen to political junk for entertainment.

One thing locals teams or people can do now for relatively cheap is podcasts. There is a local guy in Huntingdon that does one on Huntingdon sports. It’s free and pretty entertaining.

Edited by Waker