Covington - Union City Jamboree - August 11, 2023

CHARGERFAN

I understand that Covington will visit Union City for a Jamboree on Aug. 11, 2023.

Apparently this two-school jamboree will use the same format as they had last year in Covington. 
Last year’s Jamboree featured the Middle Schools, then the freshmen/ JV teams, followed by the high school varsities.

Here is the description I posted on Coach T in 2022:

Covington and Union City are doing something different this year. Their Jamboree includes Middle School and Junior Varsity scrimmages as well as the high school varsities. Here are details:

COVINGTON VS. UNION CITY

PURPLE AND GOLD JAMBOREE

Friday, August 12, 2022

Schedule

·         6:00 PM – Union City Middle School vs. Crestview Middle School – 20-minute running clock.

·         6:30 PM – Union City Band performs

·         6:45 PM – Union City JV / Freshmen vs Covington High JV / Freshmen – 20-minute running clock  

·         7:15 PM – Union City High Varsity vs Covington High Varsity – two halves of 20 minutes each, running clock. Union City begins first half with ball on offense. Covington begins second half with ball on offense.

Special teams will not be live. No kickoffs or kick returns. No returns on punts. Possessions to begin each half start at the 30 yard line.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Deeper said:

No single A school in the state has any business playing Covington.  Even in a Jamboree.  

I tend to agree, however, i remember when UC played Haywood in a Dyersburg Jamboree a few years ago and UC gave Haywood a fight! And yes, i realize that the playbook is usually pretty boring in jamborees, especially for the "bigger" school. But either way, makes for good entertainment for the fans. 

6 hours ago, noonesfool said:

I really like that format!

It is neat because it lets your whole football program be involved. Middle School kids who will one day move to high school, plus your freshman / junior varsity squad. Neither of those would get any action in a traditional jamboree.

I’m sure also that the fact that only these two programs will keep the gate plays a part in using this format. I’m not sure whether they share the ticket money each year, or if the home team keeps it. Since they are alternating home and home with the Jamboree, both Covington and Union City would profit either way. 

And, as far as the matchup, Union City is apparently not afraid to play Covington. It’s not an official game, so why not? 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 3:41 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

It is neat because it lets your whole football program be involved. Middle School kids who will one day move to high school, plus your freshman / junior varsity squad. Neither of those would get any action in a traditional jamboree.

I’m sure also that the fact that only these two programs will keep the gate plays a part in using this format. I’m not sure whether they share the ticket money each year, or if the home team keeps it. Since they are alternating home and home with the Jamboree, both Covington and Union City would profit either way. 

And, as far as the matchup, Union City is apparently not afraid to play Covington. It’s not an official game, so why not? 

Union City is just pretending to be 1a. The pool of athletes they have to pick from is much greater than any other 1a school! 

On 7/13/2023 at 8:25 PM, Deeper said:

No single A school in the state has any business playing Covington.  Even in a Jamboree.  

That is not always the case depends on the year and the single A team. There are some really good single A teams year in and out. Especially when Peabody, Huntingdon, and Union City are in Single A. Last year I guarantee you Mase and McKenzie would have been just fine playing Covington.

If you look at last year UC and Covington tied in the Jamboree. So no UC is not scared of any team. We just scrimmaged Brighton and still have Peabody and Covington to go before opening the season with Ensworth, USJ and Dyer County. Whoever we play I can guarantee they will know they have played a hard nose football program. No disrespect intended toward Covington because they are always a very good team but we will come to play.

16 hours ago, Tornado82 said:

If you look at last year UC and Covington tied in the Jamboree. So no UC is not scared of any team. We just scrimmaged Brighton and still have Peabody and Covington to go before opening the season with Ensworth, USJ and Dyer County. Whoever we play I can guarantee they will know they have played a hard nose football program. No disrespect intended toward Covington because they are always a very good team but we will come to play.

I’ve seen UC play in several jamborees. They always come to play. Last year’s jamboree showed the two teams to be pretty even. I expect another close contest this year. I don’t think the 1A vs 3A labels will mean much. 

My Covington team always plays up in the non-region part of our schedule. We play 5A Munford and 5A Brighton every year, and we usually throw a 4A team or two in the mix. 

No matter how big the school’s enrollment, they only let you put 11 guys at a time on the field. 

I’m looking forward to this matchup.

Just now, CHARGERFAN said:

I’ve seen UC play in several jamborees. They always come to play. Last year’s jamboree showed the two teams to be pretty even. I expect another close contest this year. I don’t think the 1A vs 3A labels will mean much. 

My Covington team always plays up in the non-region part of our schedule. We play 5A Munford and 5A Brighton every year, and we usually throw a 4A team or two in the mix. 

No matter how big the school’s enrollment, they only let you put 11 guys at a time on the field. 

I’m looking forward to this matchup.

Absolutely it will be a good hard hitting scrimmage.