TSSAA to start fining schools for fan ejections

5 hours ago, crazzyness said:

When in the history of interscholastic sporting events has some no-name vagabond, with no ties to either school, appeared out of thin air to pay admission into an event so they can make a scene and be ejected, just to disappear like a fart in the wind never to be seen or heard from again?

Let's be realistic and leave the strawman arguments at home. 

Not that I don't agree with you, but similar things have happened...sectional (sub-state) game of ladies basketball, and a "fan" shows up at Scotts Hill dressed in an ape suit. A Bradford fan on here isn't happy with the outcome of a close game, and plays the race card in a few posts regarding the costume. Long story short, it wasn't a Scotts Hill kid at all he just wanted attention (nothing race oriented) and decided to wear the costume for notoriety. He got into a shouting match with some of the other Bradford fans and the game administrator had to threaten to have the SRO remove him before he finally shut up. So hypothetically, had he been ejected, would it be fair for either team to be fined?

16 hours ago, crazzyness said:

When in the history of interscholastic sporting events has some no-name vagabond, with no ties to either school, appeared out of thin air to pay admission into an event so they can make a scene and be ejected, just to disappear like a fart in the wind never to be seen or heard from again?

Let's be realistic and leave the strawman arguments at home. 

wasn't there a private school in basketball that had some no-name vagabond try to pants a referee?

Agree that some measure of consequence should be in place. Also agree that admin and/or AD of host team should be a strong & visible presence at events & should intervene waaay before s’thing escalates. Which is infrequent, most of the time. Like everyone else, I’ve witnessed players, fans, student sections, and even an announcer in the press box act inappropriately, if not downright ridiculous at sporting events. So yeah, I get it. But I’ve also seen some officials on big power trips threaten to eject some little crippled up Papaw that simply yelled “come on, ref!” at a basketball game. It was a ref that I know for a fact could never make the team in high school. If you wear the stripes on the field/court or the blue behind the plate, you also gotta have a thick skin and expect a little innocuous jazz from time to time. There’s a balance between the two, and it’s rarely struck. Hopefully this ruling will make host admins vigilant and proactive to “nip it in the bud,” as Bernard P Fife once so wisely said. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I think the rule is asinine. All the punishment is directed at the school prior to determining what the school has or will do to keep it from happening again.  It's like being found guilty prior to an investigation.

If it happened, then they didn't do enought to prevent it.  It's really pretty simple.  

17 hours ago, Augustus said:

So you allow the school the opportunity to hand out the "punishment" and if they don't you fine them. It is  pretty simple.

nah.  Some schools take their security seriously, and others leave it to almost nothing.  Has nothing to do with punishment after the fact.  It's more about prevention.