TN HS transfer portal

Fnltexas

There are a lot of articles over the past week about kids transferring all around the state. You hear 2 sides with one saying this is proof of the end times and the world may soon end and the other saying let the kids go where they want.  You hear kids are transferring for NIL and that other schools are calling kids getting them to do this. Kids are not transferring for NIL nor are schools calling them.  However kids are leaving for what they view as better opportunities. Many have a dream of SEC or college football and they are leaving bc they feel these other schools can help them get there. Does not mean they are always right but that's the driving reason. No one wants to discuss the state of many HS programs in the state.  Teams that rarely train in the weight room, speed train,  not capable of legitimate passing offense and struggle to score in 7v7 w no pads on, teams with out qualified coaches at the skill positions, and lastly programs that do little to nothing to help there players get recruited.  Point being this is not all on selfish kids and parents or crazy boosters.  A lot of it is but not all. For some kids right or wrong they view football is there way out of there current circumstance. Bc of this it means more to them than others. If there program is not structured in such a way to develop them for college is causes concern.  This is far from 100% but is a real issue. 

The other is the TSSA that no one wants to discuss.  You have kids openly saying in interviews they transferred to win a championship or to go to a school to help them get recruited. Transferring for athletic purposes even if you move the 22 miles is a non qualifier.  There are numerous quotes in the papers of kids saying these things only to get there waiver approved.  This issue will get worse as the gap between public and private widens and until TSSA does something about it.

Schools that don't like what is happening need to take a real look at there programs and say are we doing everything we can to develop these young men.  On the other side private schools need to take a real look at what they are doing and say does this fit our culture and mission. Are we chasing championships or are we truly trying to build young men into the best versions of themselves.   

What does everyone think the reason for all these transfers is?  Not just BA as this is not a new thing.       

Large Private schools are going to change TN high school football forever in next 3 years. If these schools are hiring positions solely to handle NIL futures, no public school or small private schools will be able to compete with the BA , Ensworth, MBA, etc. The ability to fund raise for these kids will set the bar where no program but the elite financial private schools will thrive . Kids will be willing to sit out a year if necessary to go get NIL deal at bigger private school. The public and small private schools will be cherry picked every year. NIL is already taking place kids leaving top programs to go to big private schools with lower ranking nationally and state wide. Why? $$. If NCAA can't handle it asking TSSAA is absurd. BA took TN from 3 Division State Champions to 9 State Champions watering down the entire State ? Now what different leagues? 

3 hours ago, Fnltexas said:

There are a lot of articles over the past week about kids transferring all around the state. You hear 2 sides with one saying this is proof of the end times and the world may soon end and the other saying let the kids go where they want.  You hear kids are transferring for NIL and that other schools are calling kids getting them to do this. Kids are not transferring for NIL nor are schools calling them.  However kids are leaving for what they view as better opportunities. Many have a dream of SEC or college football and they are leaving bc they feel these other schools can help them get there. Does not mean they are always right but that's the driving reason. No one wants to discuss the state of many HS programs in the state.  Teams that rarely train in the weight room, speed train,  not capable of legitimate passing offense and struggle to score in 7v7 w no pads on, teams with out qualified coaches at the skill positions, and lastly programs that do little to nothing to help there players get recruited.  Point being this is not all on selfish kids and parents or crazy boosters.  A lot of it is but not all. For some kids right or wrong they view football is there way out of there current circumstance. Bc of this it means more to them than others. If there program is not structured in such a way to develop them for college is causes concern.  This is far from 100% but is a real issue. 

The other is the TSSA that no one wants to discuss.  You have kids openly saying in interviews they transferred to win a championship or to go to a school to help them get recruited. Transferring for athletic purposes even if you move the 22 miles is a non qualifier.  There are numerous quotes in the papers of kids saying these things only to get there waiver approved.  This issue will get worse as the gap between public and private widens and until TSSA does something about it.

Schools that don't like what is happening need to take a real look at there programs and say are we doing everything we can to develop these young men.  On the other side private schools need to take a real look at what they are doing and say does this fit our culture and mission. Are we chasing championships or are we truly trying to build young men into the best versions of themselves.   

What does everyone think the reason for all these transfers is?  Not just BA as this is not a new thing.       

Agree with you on developing kids , LA great example . Like TD or not Lipscomp indoor/ outdoor training facility has built as many kids for other programs as LA's own. Small schools don't have numbers to make football year round like bigger programs . Few schools have spring football, 7 on 7 teams, can't punish kids for pursuing  dreams and sometimes that may mean leaving . You also may find you are not as a big of fish as you and your family thought you were in the bigger pond.

• Upvote 1

Here is an example of a kid saying he transferred for football.  Transfer from DCA to Oakland "My dad and brothers all graduated from there. At the same time, I had to make a decision to further my career. It's a better opportunity. The No. 1 thing on my recruiting chart that was getting questions is level of competition." Link below

Not even knocking the kids decision however per TSSA one can not transfer for athletic purposed regardless of a move.  TSSA does a terrible job of policing and enforcing there own rules.  

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/01/27/dca-mr-football-semifinalist-ashton-jones-transfers-to-oakland-patriots/69849731007/

And another from Red Bank to Oakland "It wasn't that I was unhappy at Red Bank, I just felt like I needed to be in a different environment," Morris said Tuesday afternoon in a phone interview. "I had spoken with BA (Brentwood Academy) but I felt like Oakland is a better fit for me and I believe getting to play for a bigger school will help my development."

Per TSSA you can not move for athletic purposes and be eligible.  Sure does not sound like a job transfer to me.  

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2023/jul/18/red-banks-daune-morris-transfers-to-powerhouse/

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/01/04/three-star-wide-receiver-brock-montgomery-transfers-to-riverdale/69775918007/

For better or for worse, this is the way things are now.  As long as players provide a legitimate proof of change of address, I'm OK with it. I

don't ever hear anybody raise a stink when coaches hop around from job to job so I think it's hypocritical to move the goalposts for athletes 

4 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/01/04/three-star-wide-receiver-brock-montgomery-transfers-to-riverdale/69775918007/

For better or for worse, this is the way things are now.  As long as players provide a legitimate proof of change of address, I'm OK with it. I

don't ever hear anybody raise a stink when coaches hop around from job to job so I think it's hypocritical to move the goalposts for athletes 

agreed. 

also, I just read over the rules and I did not see where students cannot move for athletic purposes.  as long as they are actually moving, it appears they can go for any reason they want.  i did see that schools cannot promote their athletic programs separately from the rest of the school.  is that what you are thinking about?

I think it is interesting that high schools provide social media marking materials to transfers much like colleges do.

5 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

agreed. 

also, I just read over the rules and I did not see where students cannot move for athletic purposes.  as long as they are actually moving, it appears they can go for any reason they want.  i did see that schools cannot promote their athletic programs separately from the rest of the school.  is that what you are thinking about?

I think it is interesting that high schools provide social media marking materials to transfers much like colleges do.

FWIW, Morris practiced with Oakland today so I'm sure their social media guy did it for him. If not, kid has skills 

18 minutes ago, Fnltexas said:

Stand corrected then.  I just looked as well and it does just say bonafide move.  In other states it cant be for athletics but looks like it can here.  Well not much to cover then.  If willing to move then no issues I guess.     

it's a bit confusing and there are lots of things that seem like gray areas these days.  for instance, it looked like any player who plays on a off season team or at an event at different school (than they attend) is ineligible for 1 year if they transfer to that school.  or if a coach moves to another school, any player from the previous school will be ineligible for 1 year if they transfer to the new school.