TN HS transfer portal

Fnltexas

Some years ago, the rules around this were much more restrictive than it would seem they are now.  Tiny Richardson probably 10 years ago announced his decision to transfer from Mt. Pleasant to Ensworth, a distance of over 50 miles.  He had to sit out his junior year and wasn't granted eligibility because (as best I recall) the principal of the school believed he was recruited for football and would not grant his release (despite a visit from Tim McGraw and Faith Hill asking him to do so).  So times have changed I guess as the RB from Oakland transferring to BA is immediately eligible.

9 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

Some years ago, the rules around this were much more restrictive than it would seem they are now.  Tiny Richardson probably 10 years ago announced his decision to transfer from Mt. Pleasant to Ensworth, a distance of over 50 miles.  He had to sit out his junior year and wasn't granted eligibility because (as best I recall) the principal of the school believed he was recruited for football and would not grant his release (despite a visit from Tim McGraw and Faith Hill asking him to do so).  So times have changed I guess as the RB from Oakland transferring to BA is immediately eligible.

I would say that's an exception to the rule. They've been pretty loose as long as change of residence happens. Sounds like MP was just being petty. I don't recall alot of instances like that

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fnltexas said:

Here is an example of a kid saying he transferred for football.  Transfer from DCA to Oakland "My dad and brothers all graduated from there. At the same time, I had to make a decision to further my career. It's a better opportunity. The No. 1 thing on my recruiting chart that was getting questions is level of competition." Link below

Not even knocking the kids decision however per TSSA one can not transfer for athletic purposed regardless of a move.  TSSA does a terrible job of policing and enforcing there own rules.  

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/01/27/dca-mr-football-semifinalist-ashton-jones-transfers-to-oakland-patriots/69849731007/

I’m going to eat some popcorn and watch this thread now. :) 

12 hours ago, Fnltexas said:

There are a lot of articles over the past week about kids transferring all around the state. You hear 2 sides with one saying this is proof of the end times and the world may soon end and the other saying let the kids go where they want.  You hear kids are transferring for NIL and that other schools are calling kids getting them to do this. Kids are not transferring for NIL nor are schools calling them.  However kids are leaving for what they view as better opportunities. Many have a dream of SEC or college football and they are leaving bc they feel these other schools can help them get there. Does not mean they are always right but that's the driving reason. No one wants to discuss the state of many HS programs in the state.  Teams that rarely train in the weight room, speed train,  not capable of legitimate passing offense and struggle to score in 7v7 w no pads on, teams with out qualified coaches at the skill positions, and lastly programs that do little to nothing to help there players get recruited.  Point being this is not all on selfish kids and parents or crazy boosters.  A lot of it is but not all. For some kids right or wrong they view football is there way out of there current circumstance. Bc of this it means more to them than others. If there program is not structured in such a way to develop them for college is causes concern.  This is far from 100% but is a real issue. 

The other is the TSSA that no one wants to discuss.  You have kids openly saying in interviews they transferred to win a championship or to go to a school to help them get recruited. Transferring for athletic purposes even if you move the 22 miles is a non qualifier.  There are numerous quotes in the papers of kids saying these things only to get there waiver approved.  This issue will get worse as the gap between public and private widens and until TSSA does something about it.

Schools that don't like what is happening need to take a real look at there programs and say are we doing everything we can to develop these young men.  On the other side private schools need to take a real look at what they are doing and say does this fit our culture and mission. Are we chasing championships or are we truly trying to build young men into the best versions of themselves.   

What does everyone think the reason for all these transfers is?  Not just BA as this is not a new thing.       

I just look at it like TN football is getting big and it’s more talent in the state. Kids have been doing this in Florida,texas and some other states for years. Play football at one school and basketball at another. As far as recruiting let’s be real…. Middle TN is a hot bed and it’s not painted orange. LSU,Bama,Olemiss, Michigan,Ohio st basically has a office in the mid state and picking the kids they want. UT my be back winning but they still haven’t won a NC.

You mentioned other states where this happens and it certainly does.  However you mentioned Texas.  In Texas you can not move for athletic purposes and be eligible with out sitting a year.  In Texas they also check the residence and find out who is living there and are they staying there every night.  If you get a job transfer they want to see the paperwork showing it.  If the kids makes a statement on social media or to anyone that reports it saying he moved to play for x team or to win he is not eligible.  They are extremely struct in Texas on transfers which is a big reason that the state is still dominated by the public schools and also why the gap between the haves and haves nots is not as large in other sates.  

Personally I see both sides.  If the kids is in a program that is not pursuing excellence in football why should he be punished for wanting to develop his skills.  However when allowed it creates what we have in TN.  The issue will only worsen as well. With the public schools in the state not believing in funding for football at a high level.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

agreed. 

also, I just read over the rules and I did not see where students cannot move for athletic purposes.  as long as they are actually moving, it appears they can go for any reason they want.  i did see that schools cannot promote their athletic programs separately from the rest of the school.  is that what you are thinking about?

I think it is interesting that high schools provide social media marking materials to transfers much like colleges do.

Kids can pay 20 bucks online service does it for them.

For what it's worth, the TSSAA sent around a survey to the D2 membership last summer before the season with a list of issues for coaches/AD's to weigh in on...among them, the boarding school issue and out of area transfers where a bona fide change of residency was not sufficiently established.  I heard there were some strong responses, but not surprisingly, the TSSAA did nothing with the results.

• Upvote 1

Recruiting has been going on for decades here in East Tennessee. Coaches are recruiting players to win and only win. History says only one team gets to win a championship and history also says majority of those kids that transfer don't end up where their dreams want them to be. Most end up not playing at all or at a low level school. Now the new tagline is NIL and looking out for best interest of the kid.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:28 PM, Navy21412 said:

For what it's worth, the TSSAA sent around a survey to the D2 membership last summer before the season with a list of issues for coaches/AD's to weigh in on...among them, the boarding school issue and out of area transfers where a bona fide change of residency was not sufficiently established.  I heard there were some strong responses, but not surprisingly, the TSSAA did nothing with the results.

It was reported that all of the schools (both D1 and D2) voted overwhelmingly that they wanted the following with regards to boarding schools and transfers:

1.  If kids transfer to a boarding school after they have already established an athletic record, they must sit out for one complete season.

The TSSAA Board of Control voted this down even though their member schools approved it by over 75%. 

On 7/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, Fnltexas said:

You mentioned other states where this happens and it certainly does.  However you mentioned Texas.  In Texas you can not move for athletic purposes and be eligible with out sitting a year.  In Texas they also check the residence and find out who is living there and are they staying there every night.  If you get a job transfer they want to see the paperwork showing it.  If the kids makes a statement on social media or to anyone that reports it saying he moved to play for x team or to win he is not eligible.  They are extremely struct in Texas on transfers which is a big reason that the state is still dominated by the public schools and also why the gap between the haves and haves nots is not as large in other sates.  

Personally I see both sides.  If the kids is in a program that is not pursuing excellence in football why should he be punished for wanting to develop his skills.  However when allowed it creates what we have in TN.  The issue will only worsen as well. With the public schools in the state not believing in funding for football at a high level.  

The spirit of the rules sound similar to what TSSAA has on paper. Problem is that NOTHING is investigated by them, even when reported. In every instance where I have any amount of personal knowledge, the "facts" have to be presented in full, or the person/school in violation has to self report. They don't even investigate before levying fines and penalties, only after an appeal is filed. If the issue is time sensitive, TSSAA will only call a meeting if the petitioner pays an exorbitant amount of money to "compensate" the BOC for all expenses, including missed salaries and travel expenses. Glorified MAFIA.