TN HS transfer portal

Fnltexas

On 7/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, MidTennFootball said:

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/01/04/three-star-wide-receiver-brock-montgomery-transfers-to-riverdale/69775918007/

For better or for worse, this is the way things are now.  As long as players provide a legitimate proof of change of address, I'm OK with it. I

don't ever hear anybody raise a stink when coaches hop around from job to job so I think it's hypocritical to move the goalposts for athletes 

I see you're falling for the coach does it so the kid should be able to messaging. Coach is a paid employee/professional, player is a student athlete.....not the same.  

31 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

I see you're falling for the coach does it so the kid should be able to messaging. Coach is a paid employee/professional, player is a student athlete.....not the same.  

It's all the same when your on a team. A coach can sell his vision for the program like a salesman and can be gone tomorrow if a better opportunity arrives.

The ultimate personal goal for a player is to get to the next level and if he thinks another program offers him a better chance, I got no problem with him transferring if the family follows the rules 

Take Ashton Jones for example. Tore it up at DCA, but hasnt gotten the kind of college interest he'd like. He's transferring to a program and a position group that has gotten offers from every part of the country. He's going to get more attention on him at the college level at Oakland than he ever could at DCA

Does it stink if a star player transfers from a team you root for? Absolutely, but were losing sight of the main goal, which is to enjoy the sport and to see as many kids move on to the next level as possible, someone we lose sight of that because we're blinded by whatever colored glasses

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

High school is preparing these young athletes for the next level.  Guess what, this is exactly what's happening at the next level so you should be thanking the TSSAA for having the foresight to prepare these athletes for what they will be dealing with.

High school is preparing 1% of these kids for the next level. The rest are, or should be, making lifetime memories with friends. The Dads that are dreaming their kid is in that 1% have screwed all this up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

High school is preparing 1% of these kids for the next level. The rest are, or should be, making lifetime memories with friends. The Dads that are dreaming their kid is in that 1% have screwed all this up.

Honest answer.  High Schools are trying to chase the trophy and parents have fallen victim to it... either for playing time or "future" to convince themselves. 

Well we're to blame bc 9/10 times when a coach is unpopular/fired, it's largely due to wins and losses. You can't demand a program to be better yet get mad when they do everything they can to achieve that.

Parents want their kids to have a better life than what they had. Some may take it overboard, but let's not act this is something new

10 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

It's all the same when your on a team. A coach can sell his vision for the program like a salesman and can be gone tomorrow if a better opportunity arrives.

The ultimate personal goal for a player is to get to the next level and if he thinks another program offers him a better chance, I got no problem with him transferring if the family follows the rules 

Take Ashton Jones for example. Tore it up at DCA, but hasnt gotten the kind of college interest he'd like. He's transferring to a program and a position group that has gotten offers from every part of the country. He's going to get more attention on him at the college level at Oakland than he ever could at DCA

Does it stink if a star player transfers from a team you root for? Absolutely, but were losing sight of the main goal, which is to enjoy the sport and to see as many kids move on to the next level as possible, someone we lose sight of that because we're blinded by whatever colored glasses

Carson Sneed at DCA has been offered by Bama, UT, Vandy, Michigan his freshman year at DCA and is now a sophomore there. College coaches will see those films this year and be at the games. Seems like every kid in those games could be seen by coaches doesn’t it?

Beat of luck to the player and to DCA. 

5 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

It’s not just the dads, it’s the moms too.  Too many idiot parents think their kids are better than they are. Just enjoy the HS years and let the kids enjoy it as well. My son is a Sr and has 0.00% chance to play after HS at any level but he could have a great time playing with his friends and for his coaches and school. He’s happy with that. 

19 minutes ago, Playerscoach said:

Carson Sneed at DCA has been offered by Bama, UT, Vandy, Michigan his freshman year at DCA and is now a sophomore there. College coaches will see those films this year and be at the games. Seems like every kid in those games could be seen by coaches doesn’t it?

Beat of luck to the player and to DCA. 

Carson Sneed is also 6'5 230, basically the prototypical size for a player at his position, Jones is not.  However, if he excels at Oakland given their level of competition, might force some programs to rethink their decision to pass on him. 

13 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Carson Sneed is also 6'5 230, basically the prototypical size for a player at his position, Jones is not.  However, if he excels at Oakland given their level of competition, might force some programs to rethink their decision to pass on him. 

You said the player wouldn’t get attention so how did Sneed? Are coaches not going to attend his games and watch his film?  Wouldn’t you think Sneeds teammates will be seen by the best coaches in the country now? 

Another thing not discussed here is the affect camps have on recruiting. If a kid performs at an elite level at a camp coaches know who they are.

5 minutes ago, Playerscoach said:

You said the player wouldn’t get attention so how did Sneed? Are coaches not going to attend his games and watch his film?  Wouldn’t you think Sneeds teammates will be seen by the best coaches in the country now? 

Another thing not discussed here is the affect camps have on recruiting. If a kid performs at an elite level at a camp coaches know who they are.

I said he'd get more attention at Oakland, i doubt his family would make this move unless they got some feed back about the teams he plays against. How many times have seen a player get passed up bc he isn't tall/big enough? Kids fall through the cracks, for whatever reason