2023 Union City Tornadoes

Tornado82

Looks to me like both sides of this issue have a solid argument in the way it's presented by the particular side of the viewpoint. My sticking point is that a (presumable) Union City poster gave the impression that they reserved the option to decline enrollment of a "city" kid, yet could choose to allow an "out of zone" student. Bad Mojo if so, but with time to consider the possibility I doubt that being the case.

15 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Looks to me like both sides of this issue have a solid argument in the way it's presented by the particular side of the viewpoint. My sticking point is that a (presumable) Union City poster gave the impression that they reserved the option to decline enrollment of a "city" kid, yet could choose to allow an "out of zone" student. Bad Mojo if so, but with time to consider the possibility I doubt that being the case.

The policy for each of the schools I put up there stated that it is up to the superintendent of schools if the student is accepted just as many other schools policy states. 

2 minutes ago, Tornado82 said:

The policy for each of the schools I put up there stated that it is up to the superintendent of schools if the student is accepted just as many other schools policy states. 

Not trying to argue that. It's basically the same policy that most schools in the state have with some inconsequential differences... what would be different is having the luxury to select each student while restricting overall enrollment. Sounds very similar, yet vastly different in practice. Not being rude but take a minute and consider the differences without bias.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, Tornado82 said:

Yes they can dictate who they take but I have not saw to many denied unless the have been trouble previously and tried to come back. After the Central Basketball team issue I’m sure we will be back in 2A in 2 years. The numbers will rise.

May just be me mincing words, but in the context of the conversation (the statement above basically agreed with the previous post about restricting enrollment and selecting kids) I took it as being wrong.

Example... Kansas City Chiefs will begin the season with a 54 man roster. Catch is that they get to select which 54 to play with.

Maybe I took the comment wrong...wouldn't be the first time.

4 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

May just be me mincing words, but in the context of the conversation (the statement above basically agreed with the previous post about restricting enrollment and selecting kids) I took it as being wrong.

Example... Kansas City Chiefs will begin the season with a 54 man roster. Catch is that they get to select which 54 to play with.

Maybe I took the comment wrong...wouldn't be the first time.

I think you took it the wrong way. Like most say if you previously went to the school most schools won’t let you return that year. Which in most cases a kid gets disciplined by a school, they get mad and want to go to another school. When they get there they realize their friends don’t go there and wanna go back to the old school. The policy states they do not have to be accepted. This is the only reason they would be denied. Most kids that stay in this type of trouble are not the best students and would or already have been kicked off sports teams. Nothing cheating or behind the back about that. Just teaching responsibility that if your not going to act right your not going to enjoy the perks of the other students that not only work hard on the courts or fields but also in the classroom and stay out of trouble.

1 hour ago, Tornado82 said:

I think you took it the wrong way. Like most say if you previously went to the school most schools won’t let you return that year. Which in most cases a kid gets disciplined by a school, they get mad and want to go to another school. When they get there they realize their friends don’t go there and wanna go back to the old school. The policy states they do not have to be accepted. This is the only reason they would be denied. Most kids that stay in this type of trouble are not the best students and would or already have been kicked off sports teams. Nothing cheating or behind the back about that. Just teaching responsibility that if your not going to act right your not going to enjoy the perks of the other students that not only work hard on the courts or fields but also in the classroom and stay out of trouble.

That's not really it either. I'm talking about 300 students coming from inside the city limits, and 100 from the surrounding area...UC administration allowing 250 city kids in, denying 50 city kids admission, and allowing 50 "out of zone" kids in because their grades are better, or that they're great athletes, both reasons benefiting UC while keeping the enrollment at 300. That's the scenario that the post described that you responded to, and that's restricting enrollment while selecting kids.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

That's not really it either. I'm talking about 300 students coming from inside the city limits, and 100 from the surrounding area...UC administration allowing 250 city kids in, denying 50 city kids admission, and allowing 50 "out of zone" kids in because their grades are better, or that they're great athletes, both reasons benefiting UC while keeping the enrollment at 300. That's the scenario that the post described that you responded to, and that's restricting enrollment while selecting kids.

UC couldn’t deny admission of 50 city kids cause they would be in their zone right??

10 hours ago, mrbigster said:

Yes I can see what your saying.Every year is different.Can see losing that many at maybe Dyersburg,Dyer Co,Milan maybe.LC has about 220 students I believe and last years senior class about 50 to 60.And Greenfield,Gleason etc has smaller enrollments.So if we were to lose 66 people,be as many as we graduated.And If Union City is a true Single A enrollment like they claim,not buying they lost 66 students.

That 66 isn’t just at UC. That’s UC, Obion and South Fulton combined. So if you can see that much at Milan, Dyer Co, etc, surely you can see it at 3 schools combined where the total population would be the same or more than the schools you mentioned. 

56 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That 66 isn’t just at UC. That’s UC, Obion and South Fulton combined. So if you can see that much at Milan, Dyer Co, etc, surely you can see it at 3 schools combined where the total population would be the same or more than the schools you mentioned. 

Exactly correct. Dyer co only has about 6k more in total population than Obion Co has. Looking back at the graduation classes here are the numbers. No one at UC is hiding kids in a closet and not counting them. 
2021 86

2022 93

2023 84

2024 82

and I would imagine class of 2025 2026 and 2027 are similar in size to 2024. I do think the elementary has grown so we will probably see the numbers go up soon. But it is all cyclical. But they also could go down because the academics at UC is challenging. 

3 hours ago, UCStrong77 said:

Exactly correct. Dyer co only has about 6k more in total population than Obion Co has. Looking back at the graduation classes here are the numbers. No one at UC is hiding kids in a closet and not counting them. 
2021 86

2022 93

2023 84

2024 82

and I would imagine class of 2025 2026 and 2027 are similar in size to 2024. I do think the elementary has grown so we will probably see the numbers go up soon. But it is all cyclical. But they also could go down because the academics at UC is challenging. 

I get a kick out of how people think there is some big conspiracy theory about numbers and hiding kids. Lol. Just like you said cyclical. Numbers go up and down from class to class.