2023 Union City Tornadoes

Tornado82

11 minutes ago, stangsby3 said:

This is exactly what I did. We live in Camden, but my son goes to Huntingdon and so will my daughter we she gets old enough. I can't comment on Camden's ability to teach or the in school atmosphere, but I graduated from Huntingdon so thats where I want my son and daughter to go. Was told it was perfectly fine, from the school board and the school. No zoning for the win! Plus they have the better football program.

There is a “zone” in Huntingdung. Students who live inside the zone must be provided busing because they receive funding from the government to provide transportation to these students. However, Huntingdung is an open zone system like most of the systems in TN. And so you can attend if you live outside the zone as long as you meet the requirements as set forth by the school board. You are having to transport your kids from Camden to Huntingdung correct?  I seriously doubt they run a bus up for your kids. 

4 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

This. Honestly, I did not understand it until I found out that most school systems have the exact same policy. Take a look at Crockett. I would bet 20% of the students there do not live in Crockett county. 

If people will look at the decrease of students in Humboldt school over the last 30 years this should be no surprise. In the mid 90’s Humboldt played for a state title in 3A back in the old 5class days. At that time they were over 600 students. Now they are in the low 200’s. TONS of people live in Humboldt and start their kid in Gadsden Elementary less than five miles away. At that point they are in Crockett Co. Schools. 

People mention 66 people leaving Obion Co schools over the last cycle like it is some great conspiracy theory.  No kids left and went somewhere else. On a given year you have classes that are bigger or smaller than others.  For example you may have a senior class at Obion Co Central with 190 students in it. Then the next year the incoming freshman may only have 173. This is normal. That’s why UC has fluctuated back and forth between 1A and 2A and Obion Ace has fluctuated between 3A and 4A. No conspiracy. It just nature and how many children are born and enter school on a given year. They are not leaving and mysteriously going elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Go east and visit Alcoa. You are fighting a losing battle. You could take the exact comments from this forum and replace the names of UC to Alcoa and no one would notice. 

If, I lived in Obion county and my kid was a football player and would certainly want him to go to the better program with better facilities and coaches. It just is what it is. I live in Gibson county and if I wanted my kid to go-to Milan I could take him over there and enroll him. However, I like SGC and chose to keep my kids in that school system. 

I agree with you about changing names of some schools like Alcoa.Getting kids from everywhere.

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Go east and visit Alcoa. You are fighting a losing battle. You could take the exact comments from this forum and replace the names of UC to Alcoa and no one would notice. 

If, I lived in Obion county and my kid was a football player and would certainly want him to go to the better program with better facilities and coaches. It just is what it is. I live in Gibson county and if I wanted my kid to go-to Milan I could take him over there and enroll him. However, I like SGC and chose to keep my kids in that school system. 

So if you lived in Obion Co,you going to go play football at UC or Central?Or even basketball? May would go to Central if I was a female basketball player.

Edited by mrbigster

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

From people I talk with  I think most see this larger Class A town and are frustrated they are in the same classification as say a Bruceton, Gleason, Greenfield, etc.   It is what it is but I see the frustration from smaller towns.  It’s a TSSAA issue more than a Union City issue.   In my opinion Union City, McKenzie, Huntingdon should all be 2A and Class A be more for the much smaller schools.  Each classification does not have to have same number of schools in each class.  TSSAA has some issues to fix I think we all know that.

I agree.The TSSAA knows this as well and keeping a blind eye or UC has people high up not counting students or special ed students or something.And don't want to hear about funding.

Edited by mrbigster

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

From people I talk with  I think most see this larger Class A town and are frustrated they are in the same classification as say a Bruceton, Gleason, Greenfield, etc.   It is what it is but I see the frustration from smaller towns.  It’s a TSSAA issue more than a Union City issue.   In my opinion Union City, McKenzie, Huntingdon should all be 2A and Class A be more for the much smaller schools.  Each classification does not have to have same number of schools in each class.  TSSAA has some issues to fix I think we all know that.

Yes they do have the same number in each class. The TSSAA gathers enrollments and divides the schools into 6 classes equally. At that point schools have the choice to play up if they choose and that would cause a class to have an extra school or two here or there but they are equal until schools choose to play up. 

16 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Yes they do have the same number in each class. The TSSAA gathers enrollments and divides the schools into 6 classes equally. At that point schools have the choice to play up if they choose and that would cause a class to have an extra school or two here or there but they are equal until schools choose to play up. 

Yes I understand, I meant I don’t think the classes need the same number of schools always when looking at numbers every two or four years.

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

There is a “zone” in Huntingdung. Students who live inside the zone must be provided busing because they receive funding from the government to provide transportation to these students. However, Huntingdung is an open zone system like most of the systems in TN. And so you can attend if you live outside the zone as long as you meet the requirements as set forth by the school board. You are having to transport your kids from Camden to Huntingdung correct?  I seriously doubt they run a bus up for your kids. 

Oh yea. I work in Jackson. I drop him off at his uncles and he takes him to school and picks him up. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

People mention 66 people leaving Obion Co schools over the last cycle like it is some great conspiracy theory.  No kids left and went somewhere else. On a given year you have classes that are bigger or smaller than others.  For example you may have a senior class at Obion Co Central with 190 students in it. Then the next year the incoming freshman may only have 173. This is normal. That’s why UC has fluctuated back and forth between 1A and 2A and Obion Ace has fluctuated between 3A and 4A. No conspiracy. It just nature and how many children are born and enter school on a given year. They are not leaving and mysteriously going elsewhere. 

Yes I can see what your saying.Every year is different.Can see losing that many at maybe Dyersburg,Dyer Co,Milan maybe.LC has about 220 students I believe and last years senior class about 50 to 60.And Greenfield,Gleason etc has smaller enrollments.So if we were to lose 66 people,be as many as we graduated.And If Union City is a true Single A enrollment like they claim,not buying they lost 66 students.