West TN Rural Top 10 Preseason

1 hour ago, mrbigster said:

When I read about Union City being so impressive against Trenton that's why I ask how was that really that impressive unless Trenton was better than predicted and they may be.But in reading about many saying Trenton will have to fight to even make the playoffs,makes me wonder.And I"ll take Lake Co out of my evaluation.Just from reading.Id think Dresden may would done the same against Trenton and maybe worse.So I'm with you.Everyone giving Union City the state title game already but I'm not convinced.Not yet anyway.Would live to see the Dresden Vs Union City matchup.And if LC gets good linemen play,they going to be as fast and athletic as anyone.

After what Trenton has accomplished over the past decade, anyone that beats them for the next decade will carve a notch in their stick. If it was Dresden or Lake Co, UC or anyone else would've done the same. That's just WTN football & justified I guess. Not brow beating, Trenton could get it together later on, they have just lost too much to be the hot ticket right now in scrimmage time. And I'm not trying to diminish what UC did, because they did look very good & was a scrappy group that played complementary football.

It's the QB to me at UC that opens them up to being a real menace mixed with that always tough run game. I feel like their lack of size overall will inhibit a deep run come playoff time. Think Fayettevllie '21 or '22, UC simply can't match up the size & everybody has speed. That's just my take. I've seen Lake CO in 7x7 action a few times. They are a speedy group no doubt. The QB does not appear to be a deep ball threat, but their short pass game is for real with the speedsters they have. I have not seen the big men for Lake nor a scrimmage. But I've seen enough to not write them off. If Lake has a run game, they are going to be a real thorn in the side of Region 7.  

On 8/5/2023 at 9:54 AM, Tornado82 said:

Union City has played good so far this year. The beat Brighton and Trenton in scrimmages 21-7 and 21-0. Lots of hate because TSSAA moved use to 1A but used to the hate on UC. 1st 3 games of season before Region play will have us battle tested( Ensworth, USJ and Dyer Co. Have a bunch of returning starters from last years 10-3 squad. Hope for a great injury free season. My sons Senior year. 

Don't consider Union City rural.Consider Gleason,Greenfield,Lake Co rural.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

I've been lucky to have seen a lot of teams 7x7 & scrimmage this summer. I take all of them as a grain of salt as nothing is like game settings. But......  Union City is good. Very good, but not dominant like prior championship teams I've seen from other schools. UC has a 3 headed monster guard to guard, total absolute studs, but size stops there. Tackles look like most teams WR/DB. Speed for days, QB is the best runner of all. Tough kid that that can throw very well too. They are going to be tough around WTN. I personally don't see them as a title threat. Not yet anyways. Not a hater, I have family on that team, just what I saw against Trenton. Trenton, is going to have a very tough season rebuilding. Seasons like this happen.

Lake County & Dresden are closer to UC than I see them getting credit for to start the season. It's these 3 at the top way out in front. 

The tackles are smaller but one is a three year starter and has strength for days and handled the DT for Trenton and Brighton with no problems. He also matched up against Meadows when played defensive end and gave him fits.  The other tackle is newer and I believe will fill in well at that spot and will only get better through out the season. This line will play well with each other this year. Once again nobody in UC has proclaimed themselves the state champs . But I can promise it is a goal they want to reach and will give it their all to reach it. Just like any other team.

35 minutes ago, Tornado82 said:

The tackles are smaller but one is a three year starter and has strength for days and handled the DT for Trenton and Brighton with no problems. He also matched up against Meadows when played defensive end and gave him fits.  The other tackle is newer and I believe will fill in well at that spot and will only get better through out the season. This line will play well with each other this year. Once again nobody in UC has proclaimed themselves the state champs . But I can promise it is a goal they want to reach and will give it their all to reach it. Just like any other team.

In lots of run based offenses like wing t and the veer (option) the tackles are smaller to help in pulling faster. It is often by design. 

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

In lots of run based offenses like wing t and the veer (option) the tackles are smaller to help in pulling faster. It is often by design. 

Wet true but like I said one has started at every position on the line and DE for three years so the coach knows what he is doing. 

6 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

After what Trenton has accomplished over the past decade, anyone that beats them for the next decade will carve a notch in their stick. If it was Dresden or Lake Co, UC or anyone else would've done the same. That's just WTN football & justified I guess. Not brow beating, Trenton could get it together later on, they have just lost too much to be the hot ticket right now in scrimmage time. And I'm not trying to diminish what UC did, because they did look very good & was a scrappy group that played complementary football.

It's the QB to me at UC that opens them up to being a real menace mixed with that always tough run game. I feel like their lack of size overall will inhibit a deep run come playoff time. Think Fayettevllie '21 or '22, UC simply can't match up the size & everybody has speed. That's just my take. I've seen Lake CO in 7x7 action a few times. They are a speedy group no doubt. The QB does not appear to be a deep ball threat, but their short pass game is for real with the speedsters they have. I have not seen the big men for Lake nor a scrimmage. But I've seen enough to not write them off. If Lake has a run game, they are going to be a real thorn in the side of Region 7.  

Not taking anything from Trenton.They been a monster last several seasons.And may be better than most think this year.Just everyone has a down year every once in awhile and maybe it's this year for Trenton and maybe not.But as far as beating Trenton this year and carving a niche.Those were past years.Would it means much if Trenton were to win only 3 or 4 games?

On 8/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, Tornado82 said:

I never said we are already crowned and 21-0 when you’re only playing about 20 mins is good. Trenton is rebuilding but always plays anyone hard. Keep doubting us Bigster . Heck I thought you were one of the few good posters from down there.

I am a good poster.Not saying LC or Dresden will beat UC.I admitted they the team to beat more than likely.LC should still be pretty explosive on offense.Think losing in my opinion,maybe best receiver and probably one of the fastest to Trenton hurts but LC should be very good at QB,running backs,2 or 3 can play.

6 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

That's what LC does have.A run game.But don't know about the line truthfully.And lost speedy receiver to Trenton .So until I see LC in person,and the line and defense,really don't know yet.

2 hours ago, Tornado82 said:

No doubt.Think UC is still team to beat but I'm with Purple.Maybe Dresden and LC are closer to them than many think.But until I see LC in person against a good team,can't comment.LC plays Dyer Co in Jamboree this Friday so will be a good test.Tjen Central should be a good one.Then I think maybe Dyersburg and Dresden.