West TN Rural Top 10 Preseason

2 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE Also, I do not know anything about Munford... I do not put a lot of stock into scrimmages. 

I agree. I don’t put a lot of stock in scores of the scrimmage but when you have varsity vs varsity you can learn a lot. Munford should have a good team this year. So if y’all looked good against them that says a lot. 

12 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think y’all will have a very good year. One of the favorites in 1A. And in regards to the haters… if you don’t have haters you ain’t doing something right. Lol. 

But how good is Trenton this year? From what I've read ,most pick them about 4th in their region.

19 hours ago, Tornado82 said:

Union City has played good so far this year. The beat Brighton and Trenton in scrimmages 21-7 and 21-0. Lots of hate because TSSAA moved use to 1A but used to the hate on UC. 1st 3 games of season before Region play will have us battle tested( Ensworth, USJ and Dyer Co. Have a bunch of returning starters from last years 10-3 squad. Hope for a great injury free season. My sons Senior year. 

21 to 0 against Trenton,a team many feel will have to fight for 4th place and a playoff spot.So that's really impressive for the already crowned UC state champs?

14 minutes ago, mrbigster said:

So The 21 to 0 score by Union City doesn't really impress me by this year's already crowned state champs unless Trenton is better than most think.

Any win over Peabody is a good one. They are still a Peabody and have some athletes and one of the best coaching staffs around. Just really young. If people are gonna get ‘em this is the year. 

Covington and Dyersburg should be at the top of Region 7-3A. Covington opens the season on the road at 5A Munford. Then in week 3, the Chargers will play at Dyersburg. After those games, we will all have a feel for how good Covington can be this year. I’m not going to speculate, but I think that we can be competitive. 

I wonder if it’s too soon to crown Haywood as the top team in the West. New coach and new QB, plus a culture that Stacmot has questioned himself. I’ll pull for the Tomcats as my neighbors, but I think there are a couple of question marks there.

As I have posted earlier somewhere on the T, as always, our depth at line is an issue this year more so than in the past.  Our line needs a ton of playing time, and experience.  I think it will get there, but it will take reps. We "won" (At least when I left) the scrimmage Friday vs Lexington.  LHS was getting some good pressure on Surber but he was able to escape most of the time, and make some plays.  Lexington was avearage at best.  They had a really good DT that went down with an ankle injury but I heard last night he is going to be fine.  We won't miss a beat at QB I don't believe.  Tate Surber is the real deal and can make plays.  6'3 and can sling it.  I felt as though our running backs ran the ball effectively for the most part.  We were missing one with a shoulder injury (Brady Brewer) but he should be back the  first part of the season. Colt Norden (Jr) ran the ball hard.  He won't have that breakaway speed but can lower his shoulder pads get tough yards.  Tim Airline (Soph) was a bright spot.  He hit the hole quickly, and made some outstanding cuts.  If he can continue what I seen Friday, that will help our offense tremendously.  He is running like he ran in 8th grade.  Receivers, Stafford Roditis and Colt Norden will more than likely be Surbers main targets.  Roditis is a Senior and is smart.  He has really good hands, and has good speed.  Norden's other position. If the above two running backs, Brewer/Airline, can carry the load, then Norden will see alot of time at receiver.  

Defensively.  We played good I thought for the most part. Lexington was able to run the ball some but I don't think they ripped off any long ones.  We gave a few short to mid range passes but I don't remember any deep balls.  This defense will be okay I think in the long run.  Comer and staff will coach them and get them in the right position to make plays.  I did think we tackled well, and swarmed to the ball. 

As always the case at McKenzie, we play each week to get better to get to week 11. I still feel like we take the region, and make a solid run in the playoffs barring injuries.      

Edited by VOLnWTN

4 hours ago, mrbigster said:

21 to 0 against Trenton,a team many feel will have to fight for 4th place and a playoff spot.So that's really impressive for the already crowned UC state champs?

I never said we are already crowned and 21-0 when you’re only playing about 20 mins is good. Trenton is rebuilding but always plays anyone hard. Keep doubting us Bigster . Heck I thought you were one of the few good posters from down there.

19 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE Also, I do not know anything about Munford... I do not put a lot of stock into scrimmages. 

Both teams played fast, really fast. They got a lot of plays in the scrimmage. Couldn't tell who won, but I can careless about that. South Gibson ran the ball effectively, they also will spread it out and throw the ball downfield at times. I am impress with Munford as well. Two teams that had the same offensive mindset that'll create havoc. I do believe South Gibson can win this region.

4 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

As I have posted earlier somewhere on the T, as always, our depth at line is an issue this year more so than in the past.  Our line needs a ton of playing time, and experience.  I think it will get there, but it will take reps. We "won" (At least when I left) the scrimmage Friday vs Lexington.  LHS was getting some good pressure on Surber but he was able to escape most of the time, and make some plays.  Lexington was avearage at best.  They had a really good DT that went down with an ankle injury but I heard last night he is going to be fine.  We won't miss a beat at QB I don't believe.  Tate Surber is the real deal and can make plays.  6'3 and can sling it.  I felt as though our running backs ran the ball effectively for the most part.  We were missing one with a shoulder injury (Brady Brewer) but he should be back the  first part of the season. Colt Norden (Jr) ran the ball hard.  He won't have that breakaway speed but can lower his shoulder pads get tough yards.  Tim Airline (Soph) was a bright spot.  He hit the hole quickly, and made some outstanding cuts.  If he can continue what I seen Friday, that will help our offense tremendously.  He is running like he ran in 8th grade.  Receivers, Stafford Roditis and Colt Norden will more than likely be Surbers main targets.  Roditis is a Senior and is smart.  He has really good hands, and has good speed.  Norden's other position. If the above two running backs, Brewer/Airline, can carry the load, then Norden will see alot of time at receiver.  

Defensively.  We played good I thought for the most part. Lexington was able to run the ball some but I don't think they ripped off any long ones.  We gave a few short to mid range passes but I don't remember any deep balls.  This defense will be okay I think in the long run.  Comer and staff will coach them and get them in the right position to make plays.  I did think we tackled well, and swarmed to the ball. 

As always the case at McKenzie, we play each week to get better to get to week 11. I still feel like we take the region, and make a solid run in the playoffs barring injuries.      

As someone that's trying to get to know teams in the smaller classes better, I appreciate posts like this, thank you

• Like 1