Region 7 3A 2023

Allthetalk

New region this year with Dyersburg, Covington, Ripley, Westview, Bolivar, McNairy Central, Scotts Hill and Liberty. How do you guys see it playing out? Dyersburg has to be the heavy favorite in my mind with so many seniors returning from a quarterfinal appearance. Covington is Covington and will reload and push for the top spot and a deep playoff run. Ripley has a lot back, but haven't heard much about them. Westview I hear had a good showing against Crockett County, but were hit hard with graduation. Bolivar has a very talented QB and some athletes everywhere. McNairy, Scotts Hill and Liberty are competely unknowns for me. Liberty was very exciting to watch when Tyler Turner was coaching there. Any thoughts?

I can see Covington or Dyersburg winning the Region. The game in week 3 where Covington travels to Dyersburg could decide the winner. But, it’s a 10 game season, and injuries, etc., can take a big toll on a team. 

If any other team happens to win the Region, you will have a big upset. Ripley has given Covington some good games over the past few years, but has not been able to win one. Bolivar’s QB played the Chargers well last year at their place, but he didn’t have a great supporting cast. McNairy was competitive the last time we played them, but that’s been several years. Westview was not able to beat Covington when they had Ty Simpson at QB. We last played them at their place in 2020 - final was 48-0 Covington. 

Covington last played Liberty in 2014 and we lost 35-14. But, that was a different type team than Liberty fields these days. And, I don’t think the Chargers have ever played Scott’s Hill. 

So, based on history I believe that the arch-rivals Dyersburg and Covington will fight it out for the Region 7-3A title. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

15 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I can see Covington or Dyersburg winning the Region. The game in week 3 where Covington travels to Dyersburg could decide the winner. But, it’s a 10 game season, and injuries, etc., can take a big toll on a team. 

If any other team happens to win the Region, you will have a big upset. Ripley has given Covington some good games over the past few years, but has not been able to win one. Bolivar’s QB played the Chargers well last year at their place, but he didn’t have a great supporting cast. McNairy was competitive the last time we played them, but that’s been several years. Westview was not able to beat Covington when they had Ty Simpson at QB. We last played them at their place in 2020 - final was 48-0 Covington. 

Covington last played Liberty in 2014 and we lost 35-14. But, that was a different type team than Liberty fields these days. And, I don’t think the Chargers have ever played Scott’s Hill. 

So, based on history I believe that the arch-rivals Dyersburg and Covington will fight it out for the Region 7-3A title. 

Week 3 will decide this region 

19 hours ago, TrickyD said:

Week 3 will decide this region 

Week 3 will for sure decide who is finishing 1st & 2nd in this region. Dyersburg is loaded this year and Covington is Covington, we know they will reload and be the champion or runner up in this region. The fight in my opinion is for 3rd & 4th. Westview, Ripley, and Bolivar are the 3 I favor to be fighting for those final two spots. I've heard all the talk about Westview, but they lost a lot up front and Hamilton was Mr. Everything for them, they should compete for one of the final two spots in this region with the athletes they have, but it could be a growing year for them. Ripley returned a lot, but you never know what you are going to get from them. Bolivar I hear is much improved, but we will have to see if it is enough to secure a playoff spot. :thumb:

My pick: #1 Dyersburg

#2 Covington

#3 Ripley

#4 Westview

It is kind of sad to see all these names in this region and not 1 of them from Gibson county... I will be pulling for Covington. We shared a region with them for a long time and had a lot of great battles with them. 

I think the region will certainly come down to DBurg and Covington. However, hold your cards on the other Chargers in the region. They will be no push over. 

I am a believer that it’s tough to gauge a season until several weeks in. But after Week 3 we will have a good idea of how the season plays out barring anything unforeseen. I personally feel that the winner between Dburg/Covington will roll into the state semifinal but there’s a lot of story yet to be written. I’m happy to have that game at historic J.C. Sawyers Stadium. 

On 8/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, Trojan said:

Its pretty cool to have a ESPN top 300 Junior at Dyersburg. Expecting a big year from him.

Big K was 330 when we went to camp at UT in late June. He’s 305 now. Much stronger, and playing with a chip on his shoulder. Heck of a great young man and twice the player he was last year! He’s hungry.